THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect for the "old hands" they don't get such sense of adventure as I did.

According to Charlie I am a Veteran of many trips - but I certainly got a sense of adventure gong through the swinge in a 21ft boat smile.gif

Nothing wrong with that, it is all about the right speed for the conditions with is inversly proportionate to the sanity of the skipper - say no more!!! laugh.gif (who said he could have 600hp on the next one!!!)

Rob,

I resemble that remark! tongue.gif or is it resent? blink.gif

Tomo biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

No Big cat this year then Tomo?

PJ is right we will get well excited for this trip.

Terry I expect we will all join you on the Saturday but I had better check with my crew

Nice picture Tom thanks.

and yours Craig laugh.gif

This one shows all the boats trying to fish 1 big wreck on teh way home , after a delayed departure becasue of FOG

user posted image

Charlie biggrin.gif

1. Mrs Sea Greg + Crew TBC

2. Alfresco, Charlie, Sam, Dan and Will

3. Quest II Tom, Chris + 1 0r 2 TBC

4. Awol Martin, Dean + 1 TBC

5. Wight Magic , Dave , Gordon H , Ben

6. Phaeton, Duncan + crew tbc

7. Serenity + Paul D + Steve S

8. Abode Craig + 1 or 2 crew TBC I Hope

9. Rosie One John + 1 or 2 crew TBC

10. JV - Adam, Alun J and Rob F

11. Little Sal - Graham + Steve (woo hoo, can't wait)

Crew looking for a ride:

Forum Name............Real name

Livebaiter................Toby Randle

Whilst it is possible (anything is possible!) this is a BIG trip for an 18' Raider.

Tom is right - the sea mid channel isnt worse than the bay... often - in fact the sea is different - less choppy like the coastal waters can be, bigger longer seas. The sea conditions around the island are usually dictated by the tide anyway.

Regardless of sea conditions - the saltly old sea dogs always state you cant beat LOA (length overall) when at sea for good sea keeping.

It is a 4 hour crossing in a single run assuming you can cruise at 15 knots - often you cant... coming back on the 2nd trip last year it was a lovely day but the tide put up a nasty sea and we had 2 hours of 10-12 knots MAX... not fun! Ive also come back in a F5/6 westerly... not fun!

Saying that Ive also run back over at 25 knots on a sheet of glass!! My point it this is very variable!

Fuel is an issue for the outboard boats - there is no marina in Alderney, you moor on swinging moorings - no fuel in the harbour - you need to walk or taxi into town to the petrol station. Tomo did it last year - so it's possible but another consideration.

Hope this doesnt sound like nagging - but have a good think before you take an 18' Raider on a 350 mile round trip across the channel. Give me a call if you want more info.

Adam

I appreciate what you are saying Adam, and there is NO WAY i would even think about it if the forecast was not favourable. I have been mid channel in my Raider before and found the swell was more acceptable out there than when we got back and had a last couple of hours only 5 miles offshore.

I am surprised however about the mileage you mention and fuel would be an issue (although not necessarily insurmountable). I assumed it was about 75 miles each way. I have tanks that carry upto 150 litres so would easily make the trip over there without any worries (even if i had to run slowly), the lack of fuel at the harbour causes me slight concern but this is the bit that may need some thought to overcome. As for the trip back, once again I would not even be there if the long range forecast had not indicated that the return is likely to be reasonably weather.

I sailed across the channel on a 22ft catamaran when I was 16 and became good friends in 1976 with a guy who had sailed here from Australia single handed on a concrete boat he had built himself.

Surely Alderney is a breeze ;-)

Seriously ... I note (and thank you) for your concerns and maybe will reconsider, but i do rather enjoy a challange wink.gif .

Graham with good forecast you will have no problem. If the forecast is less than favourable then I guess none of us will be going. For myself I would prefer less than a full on F4 but would also take into consideration the direction and outlook for the period of the trip. A F5 for me would be a no no. No choice if it catches you unawares for the return leg but planning is everything.

We still have 1 space available on Awol although we will keep this space as a last resort so it can't be banked on. Awol is a fairly large boat but is slightly restricted for cockpit space. She will fish 3 on the drift at a push but I am a greedy boy and like loads of room rolleyes.gif Other boats look to have space but maybe the skippers haven't yet updated their crew list?

It would be appreciated I'm sure if those that are taking their boats would please update crew status to help those like Graham who may be looking for a ride.

Martin

Graham,

I went over with Tomo year before last and the chandlers in the harbour got our fuel for us. We gave them our jerry cans and they got them filled while we were fishing. I think they were going to get a storage tank at the time, but well worth asking before hand.

Mark Harding (( Alderney Angling ) was enormous help

Other nearby ports where fuel can be found:

- St. Petersport

- Dielette

- Cherbourg

Have not personally needed petrol at any of these, but am fairly sure it's available.

It might be worth carrying a documention pack (passport, SSR, VAT proof, bill of sale, E111, etc) in case you do stray into French waters, or need access to their medical facilities (say Cherbourg).

Mike

I am surprised however about the mileage you mention and fuel would be an issue (although not necessarily insurmountable). I assumed it was about 75 miles each way. I have tanks that carry upto 150 litres so would easily make the trip over there without any worries (even if i had to run slowly), the lack of fuel at the harbour causes me slight concern but this is the bit that may need some thought to overcome.

I think Adam was giving an indicative total trip mileage, so that you could appreciate the full fuel logistics. Each day on the banks can be about the same as a crossing day - obviously depending on what you actually do!

Your estimates look sound, and there is no doubt that your craft has the capability in a range of conditions. I am not as committed to the absolute contribution of LOA to sea safety - there are a huge number of factors that come into it! As an example you can take 2 ostensibly similar hulls and engines and yet one will be 'great seakeeping' and the other a dog! Equally you may have one that is fantastic into a head sea, but close to dangerous in a following sea - horses for courses. eg ... take one well found 5m rib....

Back to fuel.

As Mike points out there are other fuel options - but unfortunately they don't help the underlying issue because by the time you have gone and got fuel at these, and returned, you will need fuel again! sad.gif Of that list only Cherbourg is 24hr fuel, with Boatworks (St PP) being both tidal and 'shop hours' combined.

If you can arrange to be able to pick up fuel when you get into Braye each evening you will be as well placed as boats with bigger ranges - there's just the 'if' to resolve. If you can't you will find your days being tied to fueling, rather than tides and fish - and can be extremely frustrating. The most 'pain' I have ever heard on the radio over there was a skipper having fueling issues when the sun was out, wind on holiday and fish biting (for everybody else!).

Graeme,

Pop an email ( or call ) Mainbrayce. They were really helpful when we went over before.

We fished and then collected fuel later - just give them your jerry cans to fill up etc.

only downside is getting in when there was sufficient water to get in the inner harbour.

Mainbrayce

PS: I note the raider on the forecourt !

and the answer is :-

Penny,

Many thanks for the fast response. I will put your reply on our forum as one of our members is considering making the trip in his 18ft Raider.

He has 150 litre tanks in total but will know nearer the time, since being a smaller boat he will be more dependant upon a better forecast.

regards Paul

Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:22 PM

To: PBSBAC Webmaster

Subject: Re: Fuel

Hi Paul

We are hoping to have a pump for this summer but as you can understand the hoops we are trying to jump through are not insignificant!

However we can easily either fill your cans or syphon directly onto your boats from ours. We now have much greater capacity.

Could you please give us an idea of quantities etc nearer the time.

Kind regards

Penny

Sent from my BlackBerry

Graham,

Last year Dave of WM had an inflatable dinghy, Alun brought a small O/B, Craig carried it on his Aux bracket (Team Effort). This meant that I was able to take 2 x 25ltr jerry cans from JV in to the inner harbour with only 6" of water. Mainbrayce filled them and i plodded back with them onboard.

The system worked well and I think other boats used the inflatable for the same.

Rob

Graeme,

Pop an email ( or call ) Mainbrayce. They were really helpful when we went over before.

We fished and then collected fuel later - just give them your jerry cans to fill up etc.

only downside is getting in when there was sufficient water to get in the inner harbour.

Mainbrayce

PS: I note the raider on the forecourt !

I'll second about Mainbrayce being VERY helpful.

We lost ALL our electronics in very dense fog as we arrived over the Solway Prince in the Hurds Deeps.

(Eerie watching a large ships topsides steam past 50m away with it's fog horn going, but not being able to see the bottom half)

There had been a wiring error of our domestic battery after refitting our engine and it finally died in the worst possible place.

We had to do some proper navigation and with the help of Yelo limped into Braye and straight to Mainbrayce who kindly helped knock up some cables and get us operating properly again within about half an hour of our arrival.

First class!

Tom

1. Mrs Sea Greg + Crew TBC

2. Alfresco, Charlie, Sam, Dan and Will

3. Quest II Tom, Chris + 1 0r 2 TBC

4. Awol Martin, Dean + 1 TBC

5. Wight Magic , Dave , Gordon H , Ben

6. Phaeton, Duncan + crew tbc

7. Serenity + Paul D + Steve S

8. Abode Craig + 1 or 2 crew TBC I Hope

9. Rosie One John + 1 or 2 crew TBC

10. JV - Adam, Alun J and Rob F

11. Little Sal - Graham + Steve (woo hoo, can't wait)

12.Just Purfick- Tomo + Tubby+1 TBC Crew

Crew looking for a ride:

Forum Name............Real name

Livebaiter................Toby Randle

Tomo

Edited by Tomo

I thank everyone for their suggestions and assistance concerning the fueling issues I will encounter if I do actually make it over there.

I have consulted with my crew member and we have decided to go (dependent on a very favourable forecast) and have a small inflateable and outboard that I could take if necessary for getting ashore with my jerry cans.

So ... the next thing i need to know is ... what is this other "list" that is being added to? Did i hear food and drink mentioned? :-)

Hello all

I am hoping to make trip with you guys, but i am still waiting to have my hip replacement done if done by end of this month,should get fit enough to travel

fingers crossed,come on the NHS

kevin

Sorry Kev - cant resist!.... will you be able to climb out of Braye Harbour with your dodgy hips?!?! tongue.gif

We'll look after you mate!

Re. food and drink - on the last trip we broke the tradition of going to the Maris Hall for the 1st night.... crap fishing then ensued for 3 days...

I wont be making that mistake again! Maris Hall all the way for the first night - well hung pepper stakes, fishermans soup and mountains of Guiness all the way! cool.gif

I thank everyone for their suggestions and assistance concerning the fueling issues I will encounter if I do actually make it over there.

I have consulted with my crew member and we have decided to go (dependent on a very favourable forecast) and have a small inflateable and outboard that I could take if necessary for getting ashore with my jerry cans.

So ... the next thing i need to know is ... what is this other "list" that is being added to? Did i hear food and drink mentioned? :-)

Graham

The other list is indeed a hotel/restaurant booking.

Not sure you need to take a dingy and outboard as several of the larger boats will have that facility available but if you would rather the independence thats ok.

Mainbrace do have a water taxi that is not overly expensive. I believe it used to be around