THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand that Tom,some 30ft between high and low

Don't get me wrong. The charter skippers love the big tides for an Alderney trip.

It means they have a chance to seriously have a crack at Bass and Tubs on the same day. ie: Fish the first and last of a tide for Tubs and the main run for Bass.

The downside to big tides is not the rise and fall it is simply that drifitng a wreck at high drift speeds inevitably leads to massive tackle loses as you cannot plan to hop over the iron work and end up stuck right in it. We've all heard of these mythical moster Pollack that have taken 20lb class gear on unstoppable runs that end up back in the wreck... Half the time they have been in the wreck all the time and it's the 5 knot drift speed which is doing it.

Likewise, BIG tides make some of the other forms of fishing over at Alderney impractical. Those eddys can become rather elusive or instead of being eddys they become washing machines.

A nice in between tide that sees drifts speeds mid channel sticking to well under 3 knots during the main run and Turbot bank drift speeds of 2 knots or less are my favourites. For anchoring mid channel, the smaller the tide the better.

We will always have a crack at the Turbot. Like I said, they are delicious, but the sport fish are more of an appeal, that and the lure of a lovely, alternative venue and a break from the FPO for a couple of days! wink.gif

Bigger tides also mean more fuel and less time.

We fished a larger tide on the 2nd trip this year - going back up for a drift over Blanchard we were doing 3000rpm and getting 11 knots.... we usually get over 20!

Over 3 or 4 days a big tide really eats into fuel and time.

Adam

When you have set the comp dates we will have a better idea.

No intention of stealing your thunder mate I was sat at work looking at a 2011 tidebook.

You organise it when it suits the other boats and comps, and I will see if I can get crew and time off.

But if its a big tide, I may stay nearer home.

Not yet sure what Cherborge is about, thats a new one on me. Its not somewhere I have taken my own boat, but it sounds interesting.

Charlie

Charlie,

Youre not stealing my thunder mate! With the free time I have at the moment, youre help is welcome! biggrin.gif

Ive decided on the 22nd for the Bream comp, so the 12-15th works fine, a nice mix of tides to suit all..... all we need now is the weather - as always!

Re. Cherbourg - Dave (wight magic) and I were chatting earlier this year and discussing how it is always tight on time to hit the wrecks off Alderney / French coast properly on a 3/4 day Alderney trip as we have so many other things to do. Getting out to them on a day trip from Poole is simply too far - hence the Cherbourg trip was born. A little different from Alderney, a bit of french culture, broadening our horizons etc. The trip could just be a 2 dayer with an overnight in France, but as we've made the effort why not make it 3 days if the weather allows??

Cant wait! 2011 is gunna we a good year!

I just don't believe it.

Having checked the dates again, having even pencilled in with Mark at Alderney angling - we are (for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW!) going to be scuppered by a wedding on the 14th! Unfortunately, this one I definitely can't get out of as I'm an usher. What is it with all these people getting married?

Absolutely gutted! So, that now said, ANY other dates would suit Sweet Chariot down to the ground (keeping everything crossed).

Oli

I just don't believe it.

Having checked the dates again, having even pencilled in with Mark at Alderney angling - we are (for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW!) going to be scuppered by a wedding on the 14th! Unfortunately, this one I definitely can't get out of as I'm an usher. What is it with all these people getting married?

Absolutely gutted! So, that now said, ANY other dates would suit Sweet Chariot down to the ground (keeping everything crossed).

Oli

Oli

Where are your priorities mate!?

In seriousness, the chances are that the first date gets blown off anyway so keep an eye out for a fortnight later too!

I just don't believe it.

Oli

don't get gutted - worst case is that the weather is brilliant, the fishing fantastic and you have to read a whole lot of stunning catch reports...........but of course it won't happen like that.

I just don't believe it.

Oli

don't get gutted - worst case is that the weather is brilliant, the fishing fantastic and you have to read a whole lot of stunning catch reports...........but of course it won't happen like that.

Thanks Duncan, that's made me feel loads better - what an absolute treat!!

Adam, that sounds great. Pretty much any other date suits me. I may try and leave the groom in Berlin on the stag do, but if that fails then we'll definitely have to miss the weekend of the 14th.

I see Fri 29th April is now the Royal wedding so that's now a Bank holiday for all too

I see Fri 29th April is now the Royal wedding so that's now a Bank holiday for all too

I do so hope that it is a lovelly day for the couple , warm and calm because it is the obvious time for me to bring the boat down and get it settled in ready for subsequent adventures without the added problem of 100 miles down the coast first!

Greg

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just to make you aware, Mark's B&B (The Fishermen's Rest) is now free for the weekend of the intended trip as due to us being unavailable. If you're looking for somewhere on the island to stay - you can't get better than here!

Fingers crossed for a weather window a fortnight after.

Oli

Hi all,

Just to make you aware, Mark's B&B (The Fishermen's Rest) is now free for the weekend of the intended trip as due to us being unavailable. If you're looking for somewhere on the island to stay - you can't get better than here!

Fingers crossed for a weather window a fortnight after.

Oli

Thanks Oli

I've just emailed Mark asking for him to Pencil us in (3,maybe 4) and pointed out we are happy to bunk up.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this on Mark Hardings website........

Was everyone already aware of this?

If you are traveling to the islands, or indeed from the islands to the UK you need to be aware of the following as regards healthcare. From today the reciprocal health agreement between the UK and the Channel Islands will be dissolved

This means that all visitors from the 1st April 09 will need to be covered by travel insurance.

Neal

Edited by Neal

Rereading the whole of this thread makes me thoroughly confused.

We are leaving Poole on Wednesday the 11th(?)of May, returning on Sunday the 15th(?)

I am sorry to be boring, but I have to arrange boarding for my cat, so dates have to be concrete.

John

Edited by wotu2uk