THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

Thanks Martin, I would prefer to save my limited space for fuel tanks and gear rather than a spare boat so if there are other means of getting ashore I will leave my dinghy at home.

I will have a chat with my mate and see if we are eating/drinking .... I have a feeling that after our crossing we would probably welcome a nice peppered steak and chips followed by a glass or two of lager :-)

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham, the last 3 trips to Alderney we have eaten en masse at the Harbour Lights restaurant in Braye and a jolly time has been had by everyone (except Craig as the chef seems to have taken a dislike to him biggrin.gif ). Add your names to the list and I will include you in the booking.

Terry.

One of my fav moments of each trip is the 1st night in the Maris...

It's not the best place on the island - it's smokey and dark and cramped - but it adds to the experiance! Each time it reminds me of the first time in there back in 2007 - the food is pretty good and it's great when we all get crammed in there with the fire on after a long day crossing the channel... the first pint doesnt touch the sides, the second quenches the thirst and by the 3rd dinner is ready... and after a monsterous bowl of fishermans soup, followed by a well hung pepper steak (and several more beers!) bed seems like heaven.....

....until the next morning when we get up and do it all again!

Can you tell I cant wait! biggrin.gif

Edited by Adam F

One of my fav moments of each trip is the 1st night in the Maris...

It's not the best place on the island - it's smokey and dark and cramped - but it adds to the experiance! Each time it reminds me of the first time in there back in 2007 - the food is pretty good and it's great when we all get crammed in there with the fire on after a long day crossing the channel... the first pint doesnt touch the sides, the second quenches the thirst and by the 3rd dinner is ready... and after a monsterous bowl of fishermans soup, followed by a well hung pepper steak (and several more beers!) bed seems like heaven.....

....until the next morning when we get up and do it all again!

Can you tell I cant wait! biggrin.gif

Very Poetic mate, you just forgot to mention walking up that hill after 12 hours on the boat.

BRING IT ON biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Very Poetic mate, you just forgot to mention walking up that hill after 12 hours on the boat.

BRING IT ON biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

and rolling back down the hill half cut and lost for those that kip on the boat tongue.gif

Whatever Dean and I will eat and drink anywhere.............well he will at least laugh.gif

So Friday Maris Hall

Saturday Harbour lights

Sorted

Martin

Right got work covered for the whole week starting the 9th,not sure what to do,crew,take mine or have been offered to go on Shogun ?

Would really like to take mine.........help...help can't make up my mind,don't want to waste a week off as it's not flexible......

Nige

Hi Nigel

Depends what you are after mate

If its the out and out fishing/catching you want, you may, just may choose Rob

If its the thought of taking your own boat across in company of like minded souls, enjoying some potentially great sport and a brilliant crack.

Having the satisfaction of whatever fishing success you enjoy being credited/enjoyed between you, your crew and your mates.

Is priceless

IMHO taking wishing will take some beating.

IF WEATHER ALLOWS

Charlie

Right got work covered for the whole week starting the 9th,not sure what to do,crew,take mine or have been offered to go on Shogun ?

Would really like to take mine.........help...help can't make up my mind,don't want to waste a week off as it's not flexible......

Nige

Nige,

If you go with Rob...as I have before...it will be fishing...but where the majority on the boat wants to fish...which is fine if it falls within wih your ideal plan.

You can also have a greater weather window with Rob....But.. as Charlie says...The joy of doing what you want, when you want takes some beating....I know as I've done both! rolleyes.gif

PS. The social drinking at night is just the same...whichever method you chose blink.gifsick.gif

Tomo

Going with a charter is great - it's a proper holiday - chill out, relax, fish - let the skipper and crew do the hard work. cool.gif

Going with a charter enables you to glean alot of info, esp. from someone like Rob - get a feel for the island and the fishing from a big fast, stable boat - leanr about the tides, races, dangerous areas, best times and tactics etc...

Going solo - is also superb - a real sense of adventure, a real challange - your on your toes for 4 days - you need to think all the time about the tides, weather, timings and tactics. It is VERY tiring - very... in fact I always book the day after we get back off work - I'm shattered!

So - both have merits it depnds on what you want out of it. biggrin.gif

As CC says - the weather will probably make the call for you - but of course you need to make your gamble before the weather does! dry.gif

Not overly keen on charters myself anyway - so no brainer for me! Need even less brains to decide if JoJo was capable to go!!!

(no comments Jim \ Charlie)

This is seriously wetting my appetite for Alderney - only been once and cant wait to go again. Nothing like heading out of Poole in a flotilla, everyones excited and nervous. Thinking about what have we forgotten or should have brought. Not that it matters as other boats will be there to lend a hand.

On the days fishing in Alderney the boats leave the harbour, following plans laid down by the skippers over a few beers the night before. Boats may head in a group, pairs or on own, always keeping in close radio contact with others (in fact more than if we were fishing at home).

Damn I hope the weather lets us go!

Off to research my 20lb turbo rig!

Rob

On the days fishing in Alderney the boats leave the harbour, following plans laid down by the skippers over a few beers the night before. Boats may head in a group, pairs or on own, always keeping in close radio contact with others (in fact more than if we were fishing at home).

Damn I hope the weather lets us go!

Having the satisfaction of whatever fishing success you enjoy being credited/enjoyed between you, your crew and your mates.

Is priceless

Nigel I think Adam made the best statement ever, there is nothing better than seeing your own boat in the harbour and having the laugh with the lads you know, yes its not easy but I fill the best thing I have done on Abode. wink.gifwink.gif

Ps as long as you don

1. Mrs Sea Greg + Terry B

2. Alfresco, Charlie, Sam, Dan and Will

3. Quest II Tom, Chris + 1 0r 2 TBC

4. Awol Martin, Dean

5. Wight Magic , Dave , Gordon H , Ben

6. Phaeton, Duncan + crew tbc

7. Serenity + Paul D + Steve S

8. Abode Craig + 1 or 2 crew TBC I Hope

9. Rosie One John + 1 or 2 crew TBC

10. JV - Adam, Alun J and Rob F

11. Little Sal - Graham + Steve (woo hoo, can't wait)

12.Just Purfick- Tomo + Tubby+1 TBC Crew

Crew looking for a ride:

Forum Name............Real name

Livebaiter................Toby Randle

There appear to be about 30 folks travelling to Alderney in May and 16 have so far booked to eat with the party. Are the rest of you having an 'alternative party' or just being stand-offish. Join the in-crowd and get your name down.

Terry.

Nige

are you saying that Shogun is going over the same week as the club Nigel?

sorry folks,a little bit off topic, but maybe it sums up the excitment and builds it towards may! I spent a very uncomfortable night in braye,about 1983 sleeping in a 28 foot yachts quarter berth 3 inches smaller than my shoulders, loved it. now have my own boat that can get there and cant wait to see it tied up in the same harbour, share a few beers with like minded people and hopefully catch a fish! i failed to get there last year so lets hope the weather gods are kindly this, looking forward to it imensley

• 4 weeks later...