THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

Could it be excitement already ? laugh.gif

Greg what time are you thinking?

Charlie

excitment? absolutly!

time? i shall leave the details to my crew, my role is to provide a boat- which i plan to have in poole ready to go whenever it happens this year- will give you a ring soon as i get nearer knowing when she goes back in. but planning to come down end of april, from my point of view i can be an early bird or i can chill, happy to fit in with anything going on and what the others want to do- in this instance the captain truly will simply be happy to be there

all the best

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boys will let you know what DG is.?

A wreck I presume?

It is mate and about mid way from Poole or Portland

But it is not huge, there are others close by that are larger and a bit easier to fish.

It depends if you are used to wrecking really.

Adam

12/5 Dover HW is at 6.45 BST

Slack mid channel is about dover HW +6

Charlie

Haven't done very much wrecking to date as we have only just got larger boat so hopefully will learn a trick or 2

Thanks Peter

Haven't done very much wrecking to date as we have only just got larger boat so hopefully will learn a trick or 2

Thanks Peter

If you think you need terminal gear, ask the questions now - perhpas new thread in tackle talk.

You don't want to be caught short mid channel - though dont go over the top as you can stock up vat free with Mark at Alderney Angling!

Rob

p.s. Tomo has the lead moulds, does anyone need to start making weights for wrecking or watch leads for turbos!!!

Av a look ear:

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/cha...s.asp?cattype=5

Adam, do you mean turn left? Because you know that, that is right if you are heading south, rather than north so right is left, right?

blink.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif

Maybe you have north up not track up?  ph34r.gif  ph34r.gif

Glad your driving!!!

Rob

Rob

You are a clever chap

can you print those off?

I will see if I can tomorrow.

If so I would like a copy to go with my tidal streams atlas of the channel islands and France [NP264 for those interested]

mine only show the French side, I can not locate mine that do the whole channel.

Charlie

Greg

I expect we will leave together, as Tom likes simular sport to us.

our times are usually dictated by when we want to arrive at our wreck of choice.

and of course we are leaving from the same place.

It looks like it should be very fishable on the mid channel wrecks by about 1130.

so allowing for a steady cruise and a bit of bait fishing en route, we could have a sensible start time this year of about 8 at the boat. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Peter

Best bet may be to RV with some of us on the way over if you mean to fish the wrecks, especially as the tide is pushing us to the west, follow the drift lines and chat on low power for advice/tips

and come to the pub meeting to get all the info before hand

Exact details will become known nearer the dates.

Edited by great white

Rob - there will be a 5lb lead timit per angler this year on JV ph34r.gif

For those who fancy an earlier start, I'll be leaving Poole around 6am, will fish the mid-channel wrecks on the last of the ebb, then crack on towards Alderney over the afternoon slack (not fiussed about anchoring for eels)

I'll then re-fuel and head out for tope for a few hours, before picking up a mooring around 4pm and heading off to the B&B.

Greg

I expect we will leave together, as Tom likes simular sport to us.

our times are usually dictated by when we want to arrive at our wreck of choice.

and of course we are leaving from the same place.

However, the other two onboard are quite keen on Turbot so there may be discussions. We did have an initial plan but I'm happy whatever bearing in mind the crew changes. Just happy I'm going fishing.

Terry.

• 2 weeks later...

with more days since the last post than there are weeks before scheduled departure I wondered if this thread had been locked or lost..........

just checking blink.gif

the days seem twice as long, the temperature's jumped and there have even been some calm periods (of more than a few minutes!) - could this year bring those perfect conditions to make a trip of a lifetime?

Duncan I do sincerely hope you are correct re the weather.

Awol has had all her works completed except that she is getting her replacement (long story) C120W screen this week so should be ready for action by the week end. Weather permitting a shake down trip to the shambles this week end then a trip to east cowes next week end then over we go to Alderney.

BRING IT ON biggrin.gif

Martin

with 11 pages previous to this, there is a lot to read through...

what were the proposed dates of the Alderney trip???

Dan

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Keep up youngster!!!!!

May 12th or 2 weeks later if delayed I think.

But others may go at other times and I think Oil on SC is planning to go on the 26th anyway.

There is prob a trip in June too, but possibly to Cherbourg.

HTH,

Rob

We will meet up in the Bakers Arms (top of the Upton Bypass) one evening about a week before we go, once we have a rough idea of what the long range forecast looks like.

Will then discuss buddy groups, leaving times, routes, tactics etc.

If it helps those who havent been before drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send over a document I put together back in 2006 informing what tackle, leads, clothing etc you'll need.

Adam

I'm not ready! sad.gif

I have drag washers to replace and kit to check!

Haven't fished for ages (not this year yet). Might have to have some warm up sessions end of this month.

Plus make up loads and loads of leads to take - good ballast when going through swinge! (Ok Skip - I know - just 3 weights each!)

Rob (far from excited, NOT!!!)

For those of you who werent at the meeting last night:

I've spoken with Mainbrayce. The current diesel rate is 97p per ltr - they will do us a 10% discount for our journey.

Petrol isnt yet fully available in the marina by pump - they do have a 300l tank which you can decant from. So you'll need cans if you run petrol. There is now only 1 petrol station in Alderney and it closes at 12am!

We have a special rate on the water taxi -

I've spoken with Mainbrayce. The current diesel rate is 97p per ltr - they will do us a 10% discount for our journey.

Petrol isnt yet fully available in the marina by pump - they do have a 300l tank which you can decant from. So you'll need cans if you run petrol. There is now only 1 petrol station in Alderney and it closes at 12am!