THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder as the time is now approaching, any more for any more as regards the messing arrangements. To jog your memory, we are booked into Marais Hall on the night of Thursday 12th May, The Moorings on the 13th May (Friday the 13th sad.gif ) and The Harbour Lights on the 14th May. I don't know if anyone has been missed out but if you are joining the evening fun, please add your name to the list.

So far I have:

Terry B

Greg

Martin B

Dean B

Adam F

Rob F

Alun J

Craig

Ashley

Dave

Gordon H

Ben

Tony

Paul D

Steve S

John W

Dave S

Duncan

Tom (P)

Chris (P)

Charlie (MH & HL)

Sam (MH & HL)

Dan (MH & HL)

Will (MH & HL)

Tom B.

This may be everyone, I don't know but if you would like to join, enter your name.

Terry.

Edited by plaicemat

My first love is Rugby, second Football (Stoke City) and third is fishing ......

Would you believe that Stoke have only gone and got themselves into th FA Cup final at Wembley on May 14th!!! biggrin.gifsad.gifbiggrin.gifsad.gif for the first time in their 130 odd year history!!! sad.gifbiggrin.gifsad.gifbiggrin.gif

So it is almost certain that (with a heavy heart) I will have to pull out of the first planned trip as, if I am able to get tickets for the match I am afraid that my 40 years of following their results on TV will hopefully come to a massive climax by watching them lift a trophy at Wembley.

Just a reminder as the time is now approaching, any more for any more as regards the messing arrangements. To jog your memory, we are booked into Marais Hall on the night of Thursday 12th May, The Moorings on the 13th May (Friday the 13th  ) and The Harbour Lights on the 14th May. I don't know if anyone has been missed out but if you are joining the evening fun, please add your name to the list.

So far I have:

Terry B

Greg

Martin B

Dean B

Adam F

Rob F

Alun J

Craig

Ashley

Dave

Gordon H

Ben

Tony

Paul D

Steve S

John W

Dave S

Duncan

Tom (P)

Chris (P)

Charlie (MH & HL)

Sam (MH & HL)

Dan (MH & HL)

Will (MH & HL)

Tom B.

]

Can we join in please

Peter& Matthew ( Free Boys)

Thanks Peter

I'm not excited at all ph34r.gif

UK Monthly Outlook

Published at 10:00, 18 April

(Next update at 10:00, 25 April)

Written by Philip Avery

Summary

Dominant high pressure offers dry and warm weather

The run up to this year's rather late Easter will be marked by a lot of fine and dry weather across many parts of the British Isles. Music to the ears of parents with children of school age. A welcome forecast too for those running attractions and garden centres.

The date of Easter in the calendar is as variable as the weather it can bring. One would hope that an Easter towards the end of April would bring somewhat improved prospects on one in the third week in March. This is not always the case. Genuinely hot and sunny spells tend not to coincide with the festival. On balance though, 2011 should be better than average.

Monday 18 April 2011 to Sunday 24 April 2011

High pressure keeps Atlantic fronts at bay.

High pressure will attempt to provide fine, dry weather for much of the week. As is often the case, such a feature will not bring wall-to-wall sunshine, merely a more settled outlook. April showers will be confined to the southeast of England on Monday night and to the southwest on Thursday. Fronts will bring rain to northern Scotland on both Tuesday and Thursday.

Temperatures will be several degrees above average in many inland parts, whilst onshore breezes and some low cloud may keep coastal areas, particularly North Sea coasts, a shade cooler.

Rainfall, not for the first time in recent weeks, will be below or even well below the seasonal norm. Western areas of the British Isles might, and it is only a 'might', see some rain by next weekend.

Monday 25 April 2011 to Sunday 1 May 2011

Chance of showers increases but dry weather rules.

Late April should have more fine and dry weather. The chances of scattered showers will increase slightly in both western Scotland and the Midlands but these areas will be the exception to the rule.

Sunshine amounts could be well above average, with temperatures responding to these higher levels. Rainfall will be well below the norm, except perhaps in the Midlands, where showers could be heavy.

Monday 2 May 2011 to Sunday 15 May 2011

Little change in the overall pattern

The headline tells the tale. There will, of course, be some variation in shower distribution through the period. Temperatures will also vary depending on wind direction. Coastal sites, especially those bordering the North Sea, will always take something of a hit with onshore breezes.

The general theme, however, is to keep temperatures in southern and western areas of the British Isles above average, with other parts not too far behind.

Sunshine amounts will also be up, especially away from East Anglia and southeast England, where showers may become prevalent at times.

Next week

Planning an outdoor event? Check the weather prospects here.

Monthly forecasting

The weather beyond about a week ahead stretches even the most experienced weather forecaster. Complex numerical weather forecast models from the Met Office and the European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (ECMWF) are run many times for the month (and season) ahead to build up a picture of the likelihood of different weather types affecting the UK.

Not a lot of help but it gives me something to do whilst counting the days away laugh.gif

Martin

I don't think you could all possibly have any more anticipation or enthusiasm but just in case here is an excerpt from my fishing diary dated June 10th - 14th 2002. This was our first of 3 annual trips to Alderney in search of Turbot, Brill and Bass aboard a local charter boat -

" ...Our first 3 day trip to Alderney to fish the sandbanks and tidal races surrounding the island hoping to catch our first Turbot. Unsettled weather did not stop us fishing on all 3 days. The lads fished hard in testing boat conditions and Chris and I were rewarded with our first ever Turbot caught on live Launce on the same drift over the South banks. I will never forget the moment these fish came aboard, they were in superb condition and gave a great fight in the tidal run. Magnificent fish which weighing 10 and 12 lbs ! Mission accomplished, however it would not be unusual to catch a Turbot in these waters weighing 18 - 20lbs.....next year maybe ?.... "

I am starting to feel very nostalgic. Have a great trip everyone ! biggrin.gif

Mike

If anyone is still looking for B&B accommodation, Chris Hodgson at The Fleet House has a 3 bedded room available for the nights of 13th/14th and will find something else for the night of the 12th.

Terry.

Thanks Terry

Dean and I have booked two beds. If anyone is desperate that leaves one bed in that room available for 2 nights.

Martin

Just a reminder as the time is now approaching, any more for any more as regards the messing arrangements. To jog your memory, we are booked into Marais Hall on the night of Thursday 12th May, The Moorings on the 13th May (Friday the 13th sad.gif ) and The Harbour Lights on the 14th May. I don't know if anyone has been missed out but if you are joining the evening fun, please add your name to the list.

So far I have:

Terry B

Greg

Martin B

Dean B

Adam F

Rob F

Alun J

Craig

Ashley

Dave

Gordon H

Ben

Tony

Paul D

Steve S

John W

Dave S

Duncan

Tom (P)

Chris (P)

Charlie (MH & HL)

Sam (MH & HL)

Dan (MH & HL)

Will (MH & HL)

Tom B.

This may be everyone, I don't know but if you would like to join, enter your name.

Terry.

Hi can you put me on the list please will come along (weather permitting)

steve w biggrin.gif

Dave I looked at a few sites, a couple were as you report and a couple were 10-12mph all the way. However colder than we would hope!!!

I guess until next wekk we need to sit on our hands as far as weather forecasts are concerned!

Here's hoping, fingers crossed,

Rob