THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

Have a great trip guys, i wish i could join you but i'll be there in spirit.

Just reminiscing for a moment brings to mind the smell and sounds of Alderney.

I remember the smell of the wild garlic and the sound of birds as you make the trip up the hill to the Maris Hall.

On the way back down it's the slurring of words and the smell of hops- Beer breath biggrin.gif

Enjoy

PJ

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there is a get together meet on Sunday 8th at 8pm at the Bakers Arms to finalise trip plans.

If I have got it wrong can someone please advise

Dave

cool.gif

Thats right Dave - although we do have a club meeting on Thurs so if we get enough discussed then we may not need to meet on Sun.

UPDATE:

The skippers of AWOL, Alfresco, JV, Rosie One, Wight Magic and Serenity met after the club meeting on Thurs evening to discuss plans for the trip.

I dont think we now need to meet on Sunday eve?

It was roughly agreed that JV, Wight Magic, Abode and Alfresco would leave at similar times around 6.30/7am and cross the channel in a rough group with a short stop mid channel and aiming to be in the Channel Islands by late morning.

AWOL, Serenity and Rosie One will leave a little later and spend a bit more time wreck hopping in the channel.

It was suggested that Pheaton may not be able to make the trip?

I understand that Mrs Sea (greg) is still without an engine so her plans are not yet confirmed?

Peter - Free Boys, we will have boats mid channel from about 10am until 2pm maybe best you use Ch6 to call 'All Poole Bay Small Boats' to arrange a Rendezvous?

The current forecast is showing OK until Sat when it looks to be blowing up, plenty of time yet to make a call, but if it stays the same I'll be looking to either leave on Tue/Wed or make it a shorter 3 day trip.

Edited by Adam F

the mrs sea is fully intending to rest her now shiney engine in braye on thursday night. if she doesnt then there is a person who cant properly pack parts in japan, a certain marine engineer and a crane crew who will all be in need of life insurance.

looking forward to meeting you all

greg

not really my choice, (actually thats a bit of an understatement!) engine goes back in tuesday and the crane people wont put it in wednesday so it goes back in thursday 2pm, shake down trip to langstone and then an early evening trip around the channel

my sort of planning - loads of contingency rolleyes.gif

a number of issues have arisen with regard to Phaeton making the trip - not least a lack of crew as I haven't felt it fair to involve others in what might be an aborted trip.

haven't launched since running back from Cherbourg last Sept - but compared to Greg's issues this seems a poor excuse not to go.

Basically I should know Wed pm... unsure.gif but I may have to give it a miss this time as other things have had priority over the last few weeks.

The weather picture I am seeing unfold looks one of the best for this trip we have had - but then again it's a long way off still....in weather terms!

Two new cork drags fitted to my little Abu LD's!

Ratchet fixed on bigger one!

Rod Team chosen!

Just need to find the Tope Traces and let the weather do it's thing!

Rob (excited now, hope not to be disapointed!)

n.b. - No dried apricots for Adam!

Turn the wind down boys - it's very, very borderline at the moment. Most sites seem to agree on N / W winds F4 occasionally 5 - it's just about do-able, but will be bouncy... if it clams down a few knots it'll be quite nice.

The upside is the sun is due to shine - but really we do need less wind. sad.gif

Turn the wind down boys - it's very, very borderline at the moment. Most sites seem to agree on N / W winds F4 occasionally 5 - it's just about do-able, but will be bouncy... if it clams down a few knots it'll be quite nice.

The upside is the sun is due to shine - but really we do need less wind. sad.gif

Agreed Adam

It will be a very bouncy ride going over and not enormously pleasant fishing in 4s kissing 5s with predominantly west in it.

Pray to the weather gods that five to ten knots drops off the current predictions for fabulous fishing conditions.

Bu@@er! Bloody back has gone again, just what I need for hauling all those huge fish out of the depths. I've been for an emergency physio and accupuncture visit which will, hopefully, sort it.

Terry.

The forecasts seem to roughly agree but are still varible and have changed more than a few times today.

I'd like to see at least a few knots off the forecasts to make it an easy decision.

Lets see what the next few days bring - I'm happy to leave making a call until around Weds lunchtime if needed.

Sorry to lose you Steve, I was looking forward to meeting you at last and talking in the evenings again.

I also need to make a decision for the sake of my crew as Sam has time off from the Navy and they tend to like some notice, especially if we are going at a later date.

So my call will probably be made tomorrow evening

Charlie