THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You presume correct.

Ive dropped you a PM. Basically it is one of the mid-channel wrecks that we usually fish if we take a Westerly biased route over, and might make a good ren-des-vous

For me, the tides will dictate weather I go out east or west on the way over - after pushing against it last year, I wont bother again!

Anyone - know what the tide times are for Thurs 12th May?

Edited by Adam F

The boys will let you know what DG is.?

A wreck I presume?

It is mate and about mid way from Poole or Portland

But it is not huge, there are others close by that are larger and a bit easier to fish.

It depends if you are used to wrecking really.

Adam

12/5 Dover HW is at 6.45 BST

Slack mid channel is about dover HW +6

Charlie

Adam

12/5 Dover HW is at 6.45 BST

Slack mid channel is about dover HW +6

Charlie

Oh good not an early start then smile.gif..........yeh right I wish, you lot will be out early doors as per usual tongue.gif

Martin

don't know about you Martin but that tide gives about 1000h Rockley departure for me, nice lift through the harbour and all the way past Durlston to meet slack water around mid channel..........

but then again I understand the need some have to spend 12 hours on the wrecks on the way over as well!

Thanks Charlie. To use the tide that really means taking in an Easterly route, and then getting a push in the afternoon into Braye on the Westerly going Ebb.

10.00am is too late for me, I like to make the most of the trip so I suspect we will leave the marina between 5-6am and make a plan around that. I'd rather fish wrecks on the way back than on the way over and have fish sat on ice for 4 days.

Dont think these have been posted yet: http://visitalderney.com/files/managed/pdf...tables_2011.pdf

Looks like plenty of water all afternoon in Braye for re-fueling. Has anyone dropped a line to Mainbrayce yet to advise of how many boats / sort discount etc?

For those who havent been before some usueful info here:

http://www.alderney.net/documents/SAILNEW.pdf

http://www.sailalderney.com/yachtguide.pdf (tides out of date on this one)

http://visitalderney.com/files/managed/pdf...tables_2011.pdf (these are the 2011 tides - bear in mind you need to add an hour as these dont include BST)

It is also worth getting a Chart of the island in detail, and one that covers the channel as a whole.

Oh - and travel insurance as it is not covered by the NHS!!

Adam, can you get some bilge cleaner for the deck after refuelling? The turbo fishing is a big sea on a ice rink was fun, but one time only!!!!

Oh - and travel insurance as it is not covered by the NHS!!

Adam, can you get some bilge cleaner for the deck after refuelling? The turbo fishing is a big sea on a ice rink was fun, but one time only!!!!

Ah ha! Rob my good man - I'm one step ahead.

Whilst I do have bilge cleaner onborad now, this very morning I have ordered an 12v inline pump to transfer the diesel from cans to the main tank - voila' no more spilt diesel whilst trying to pour it through a 8" funnel in a F4!

Excellent Skip.

Anything we \ I forgot last time?

To hold the rod and feel for bites? Instead of just picking up the rod with fish attached?! tongue.gif

I like to use my other senses - sight, sound etc (and let the bite develop!!!). Anyway, better than giving my rod away with a 20lb turbot attached!!!! tongue.gif

Thanks Charlie. To use the tide that really means taking in an Easterly route, and then getting a push in the afternoon into Braye on the Westerly going Ebb.............

Looks like plenty of water all afternoon in Braye for re-fueling. Has anyone dropped a line to Mainbrayce yet to advise of how many boats / sort discount etc?

Adam...

what do you consider 'afternoon' such that you expect the tide to be running West in the channel? One of us has their calculations way out.... unsure.gif

overall the tide times do look remarkably good for refueling; strange 'cos it's never seemed like that before...mind you they look a fair size through Sun/Mon! OTOH it's also good times for use of the swinge when heading to/from the banks in terms of slack water periods (about 0730 Sat)

haven't considered speedy in detail yet - someone else can exercise their little grey cells!

Just realised I've got all caught up in the excitement - despite trying to avoid thinking about it until the day before (as usual) and subject to good weather etc

Excellent Skip.

Anything we \ I forgot last time?

To hold the rod and feel for bites? Instead of just picking up the rod with fish attached?! tongue.gif

I like to use my other senses - sight, sound etc (and let the bite develop!!!). Anyway, better than giving my rod away with a 20lb turbot attached!!!! tongue.gif

Ouch!! tongue.gifweep.gif

Duncan,

OK - looks like I calculated the hours after Dover wrong, looking at the tidal flows on the link Rob put up, the channel is Ebbing to the west all morning, HW mid-channel around lunchtime, then a flood in the afternoon?

So reverse my above plans - head off West in the morning, then catch the flood into Braye for the PM??

Correct?>

Edited by Adam F

Tide in the morning heading west:

Dover HW +1 c.07:45

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/viewchart.as...E01FA784FA32110

This would suggest that 6 hours after HW Dover it is slack mid channel:

Dover HW +6 c.12:45

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/viewchart.as...E01FA784FA32115

Then it pushes East again after lunch:

Dover HW -5 c.14:45

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/viewchart.as...E01FA784FA32104

So Westerly in morning then head Easterly in to Braye. I concur Skipper!

Duncan,

OK - looks like I calculated the hours after Dover wrong, looking at the tidal flows on the link Rob put up, the channel is Ebbing to the west all morning, HW mid-channel around lunchtime, then a flood in the afternoon?

So reverse my above plans - head off West in the morning, then catch the flood into Braye for the PM??

Correct?>

Glad we got that sorted - I would hate to see you meticulously planning; then pushing 6 knots of tide for an hour to get in and wasting all those beer tokens rolleyes.gif

Whilst I don't have a Poole tide planner here (or anywhere yet) 10'ish should see the top of the second tide to ride the ebb down the channel, through the harbour and along the coast to Durlston head - which if it works will mentally deliver 4 large beer tokens in saved fuel biggrin.gif

From there the crossing should be neutral so I just put my compass on 210 (never swung it so others might need a different heading on theirs!), call Portland, open a beer and turn up the rock and roll....arriving 3 hours later.

Who says I don't plan enough?

Wow what a lot of posts since yesterday biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Could it be excitement already ? laugh.gif

I must join in and may look at the tidal atlas later

MMMMMMMM speedy

Not sure I will be able to wait until 10, may push earlier, and check some wrecks en route.

Greg what time are you thinking?

Charlie