THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

Just noticed this on Mark Hardings website........

Was everyone already aware of this?

If you are traveling to the islands, or indeed from the islands to the UK you need to be aware of the following as regards healthcare. From today the reciprocal health agreement between the UK and the Channel Islands will be dissolved

This means that all visitors from the 1st April 09 will need to be covered by travel insurance.

Neal

not new(s) but always worth reminding people as well as informing those heading over for the first time.

as to your 'conclusion' - I don't think they turn you away at the harbour if you aren't insured!

Edited by duncan

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So as to keep all the Alderney information together I have split the post relating to this trip from Gregs original post. This will allow Greg to use his original thread for its intended purpose and also allows us to easily find and view our Alderney trip info.

To help even more this thread is now pinned

Martin

As Adam Pointed out in his other thread, only 15 weeks until this first foray over the water to Alderney. That will pass fairly quickly so no time like the present to get boats and crews organised.

Boats booked in to date are as follows:

1. Mrs Sea Greg + Crew TBC

2. Alfresco, Charlie Sam and Dan + crew TBC

3. Quest II Tom, Chris + 1 0r 2 TBC

4. Awol Martin, Dean + 1 TBC

5. Wight Magic , Dave + crew TBC

6. Phaeton, Duncan + crew tbc

7. Serenity + crew TBC

8. Abode Craig + 1 or 2 crew TBC I Hope

9. Rosie One John + 1 or 2 crew TBC

As you can see a fair few skippers are looking or at least were looking for crew. Can skippers update their list if they find crew.

Also can we start a list of members that would like to crew. I have picked up Graham and listed him could any others interested please put their names below ie copy this thread and re post adding your name.

Forum Name............Real name

Little Sal..................Graham

7. Serenity + crew TBC

10. JV - Adam, Alun J and Rob F

Crew looking for a ride:

• 2 weeks later...

7. Serenity + crew TBC

Crew looking for a ride:

Livebaiter................Toby Randle

2. Alfresco, Charlie, Sam, Dan and Will

7. Serenity + crew TBC

Crew looking for a ride:

I may well be able to bring Wilful on the Alderney trip. I have done Alderney a couple of times without the backup of other boats. It would be goood to know a friendly face is not too far away mid channel.

Could you let me know the SP on the trip please,

Gordon

Hi Gordon

The last few years have gone well

SP

a date is set subject to weather and as it draws nearer the interest and activity on the forum grows.

Just prior to the trip we have gathered after a Club Meeting or at a Pub to confirm plans. departure times and which boats are going together and where they are stopping on route etc are organised.

On the day Its usually an early morning meet at the boat then the boats RV either in the harbour or somewhere close, lots of excitement and chat on the VHF radio as we head out to a chosen wreck, its usually mid channel and the start of a wreck hop to the island.

Some boats go in early to get organised in Braye harbour, some [like us] try to make the most of it and even have a look for some tope in the late afternoon.

Day 2 and 3 its down to the various boats, but many head for the banks for the flat fish.

lots of planning goes on in the evenings about the format, but the last day the boats head back, fishing on route

But by then the crews are tired and fishing is less of a priority.

I hope that gives you the general idea, If you have a look at last years forum threads you would get more of a feel, especially reading some of the reports from when we got back.

Its a good trip if the weather is good.

Charlie

7. Serenity + Paul D + Steve S

Crew looking for a ride:

I expect for the "old hands" they don't get such sense of adventure as I did.

According to Charlie I am a Veteran of many trips - but I certainly got a sense of adventure gong through the swinge in a 21ft boat smile.gif

Nothing wrong with that, it is all about the right speed for the conditions with is inversly proportionate to the sanity of the skipper - say no more!!! laugh.gif (who said he could have 600hp on the next one!!!)

Is getting a little worried that no offer of a crewing position is forthcoming and maybe by the time one does come (if ever) it will be too late to arrange accomodation etc.

Maybe its time to remove my name from the list and look at possibly getting a couple of very heavy duty life jackets ohmy.gif a very very large fuel tank blink.gif and tag along in my own boat?

The insurance have ok'd it (and they would not ok it if it was too much of a risk) so it must be do'able.

Is getting a little worried that no offer of a crewing position is forthcoming and maybe by the time one does come (if ever) it will be too late to arrange accomodation etc.

Maybe its time to remove my name from the list and look at possibly getting a couple of very heavy duty life jackets ohmy.gif a very very large fuel tank blink.gif and tag along in my own boat?

The insurance have ok'd it (and they would not ok it if it was too much of a risk) so it must be do'able.

Sharkey 18 from WSF goes on his Raider and I know a couple of other Raider owners are talking about taking theirs from time to time.

ONLY do it solo if you really know what you are up to otherwise there is no reason why you couldn't come as part of our flotilla.

It is no rougher mid channel than in the bay.

The only real issue is where the other boats may hedge their bets on a moderate forecast and still head home, you may be stuck until the weather improved to fine.

The only real issue is where the other boats may hedge their bets on a moderate forecast and still head home, you may be stuck until the weather improved to fine.

I wouldnt really have a problem staying longer if that was required ..... in fact that sounds like a good idea :-)

so ..... assuming I am gonna head over on mine, where do you all stay? Is it guest houses around the harbour area? Do you all anchor in the bay or do you tie up in the harbour?

Edited by Graham Nash

Now have all the parts to rebuild the brakes. wink.gif

Engine will be serviced next week with a new cam belt. biggrin.gif

Just new tackle to sort out now huh.gif

My son Ashley is Crew Graham I will be at the VHF course Sunday so we could have a chat then I may have a space? not 100% wink.gif

Tom Tom Tom where is my little girl Abode. ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

Edited by Gas

7. Serenity + Paul D + Steve S

11. Little Sal - Graham + Steve (woo hoo, can't wait)

Crew looking for a ride: