Alderney 2024

Steve S

Well it's time to think about going to fish round Alderney again. 

Last year 2 trips were planned and cancelled before Tigerfish made it over in June but when we got there it turned out to be the best trip in recent years with lots of keeper turbot and plenty of pollock, a couple of cod and a surprise and club record coalfish from the wrecks.

As ever we need to take the tides into consideration to decide when we want to go and the weather to decide if we can go.

For those unfamiliar fishing the banks and tides round Alderney, we need neaps as otherwise the tide is too fast over the banks to fish them very well, also IMO the very very small tides don't result in a lot of fish but I'd probably still go. Fishing in June can be fine but arranging the accommodation is more expensive with less flexibility regarding cancelling. Before anyone asks basing yourself in Guernsey would be great except the accommodation is expensive and they don't generally accept cancellations, diesel fuel (Boatworks) is much cheaper though.

FIRST SET of neaps tide are from the Tue 30th April to Sat 4th May, beyond those dates they are getting a bit strong, the Sat would be a wrecking day heading back

SECOND SET are a longer set of neaps starting Tue 14th May till Mon 20th May a longer window

THIRD SET are Wed 29th May till Sun 2 Jun

Now in a classic bit of bad planning I can't make the 2nd set, but shed no tears... I'll be fishing in the Florida keys

I'm planning to take Tigerfish over for 3 or 4 days in the date range Tue 30th April to Fri 3rd May, happily my crew are pretty flexible regarding midweek dates. My reserve dates would be the THIRD SET of dates

For those wanting to include a weekend the SECOND or THIRD SET of dates look favourite.

Ok so Tigerfish is planning to go, any others?  please add your boat names

Alfresco and Reel Magic

Dave and I have discussed it and would probably start by looking at the first weekend in May.

Dan is hoping to join me as crew and I think Rob is considering joining us on-board. Dan and I would probably sleep onboard 

Jerry may also be coming with Looby 4

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of discussion on this topic over the weekend with Dave and Jerry.

It now sounds like the early may trip does not suit everyone, so it looks like we are now planning to go on Thursday 16th May- Sunday 19th.

Depending of course on a favourable and fishable forecast.

At the moment I it is just Dan and I on Alfresco.

If anyone would like to join us for the trip please get in touch on here, PM or phone me 07887 794716

Charlie

So for anyone thinking of taking their boat over for the first time, we have boats going on the first and second set of dates so loads of choice, and frankly most likely the 3rd will be used being as weather is the final arbiter. Flexibility is the watchword.

If you are interested go to the next club meeting and make yourself known you are interested, loads of expertise there. It's a great trip.

14 minutes ago, Tarlach. said:

As always I'm keen to go and take Tarlach Too. Never got round to it, so maybe this is our year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely. We've been foxed by the weather for too long. 2024 is our year. I'll even remember to bring my hooks 👍

1 hour ago, Maverick Martin said:

Madness is planning to go on Thursday 16th May- Sunday 19th with a back up being the 29th May - 2nd June.

Has anyone looked into accommodation yet?

Reserve dates maybe difficult as its a bank holiday

That's the day we were thinking of going Martin. But were going to delay a day to wait for others.

Happy to buddy up with you if the weather is good enough, just waiting to hear about possible additional crew.

On 1/23/2024 at 8:02 PM, Tarlach. said:

As always I'm keen to go and take Tarlach Too. Never got round to it, so maybe this is our year!!!

Sounds like a few boats are planning to go, so plenty of safety cover if you make this your first go Neil.

Sounds like a few boats are planning to go, so plenty of safety cover if you make this your first go Neil.

Sounds great. But unfortunately I can't do either of those dates due to prior engagements.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 11:01 AM, Maverick Martin said:

Madness is planning to go on Thursday 16th May- Sunday 19th with a back up being the 29th May - 2nd June.

Has anyone looked into accommodation yet?

Reserve dates maybe difficult as its a bank holiday

Sorry all, Madness will not now be going to Alderney but Weymouth instead, maybe fishing mid channel wrecks and definitely fishing the Shambles bank.

• 2 weeks later...