Call from a friend

Rob

Dale who is a reasonably new member and friend of mine, called for some advice regarding his Orkney 520. He was asking about the screws holding on his sounder transducer. When I saw the photo of the 9 screw hols...........I knew I'd need a bit of work.

He keeps the boat on the water and therefore was looking for something that was appropriate. On initial my thoughts were, if we can plug the holes and fill with resin, we could be good. Thanks to Adam for the materials as he has plenty hanging about with all the work his is completing on Kodiak. I met Dale through Adam as they move in the same shooting circles.

When water started to pour out of the screw holes, I was wondering what else was impacted. Thoughts of soggy tansome wood etc. however, drilling out the holes, there was.notbing there. Just a gap and some water flowing out. Not much but more than you want to see from a sealed compartment.

On advice from Adam, I called Orkney who were very helpful. The wood they install sits 5" above the bottom of the keel and a few inches short of the gunnels. Red area.

Phew, this means there has been no wood sat in water!

So, flap disc off the AF, epoxy layer and gel coat. Then fill holes with sikaflex and get glassing. A few hefty sheets of glass, some flowcoat and it's looking good.

As a solution to keep all holes above the waterline, I made a bracket from chopping board. This meant, we could use physical fixing nice and high, and sikaflex the lower to the hull. It was 3 boards thick, to give some meat to screw the transducer to. Happy days!

With some mixed flowcoat (not colour matched but better than nothing), I repaired some old repairs on the bow. Plus, got rid of plenty of chips that were inherited. Beggeds can't be choosers!!!!!!!!

A few extra jobs like some sikaflex around a drain, there was a cracked compartment lid (which had too much flex and had cracked). This was again patched with glass and flowcoated. We attached some rubber strips to reduce the flex in the lid if stood on again.

Overall, in a good place for her to be launched in the near future. Just needs some anti-foul and good to go.

e5f6900165d12372c28577718892b3af.jpg1d78e3c01dc7ee086e4f870e4a1df9d1.jpg875418cacab6e9680a1d6cdd563d8da0.jpg706b4e96e79e7378752d14ce86b7c257.jpgbab9b2f70d2a12d6b72d2a3eced2f5f2.jpg4342a3f7ca455d23cb73684717691cf7.jpgec756c6f5c606b37bfc03b1ac3e858f8.jpg

04d20a66383a622411f81bf73485c873.jpg

On 4/17/2024 at 4:53 PM, DaleJ said:

The old saying you can't polish a T**D but rob had a good go!! 

Couple tiny finishing jobs to get done and we'll be back in the specimen hunt!!

Yes, quite.... but I know Rob is very focused when it comes to T**D polishing. Very talented fellow ya know.