THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

We've been a bit slow to get involved here as Alderney virgins but Matthew and I would very much like to tag along with Free Boys- can I confirm dates are 12 - 15th Mayare we too late to get in with club arrangements for mooring & B&B ?

Peter

Edited by Peter

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never too late to get involved biggrin.gif

We are looking to go on the 12th May weather Permitting.

I am not sure if Adam has talked to the Island about moorings etc yet. But we usually just pitch up and take what is available on the day anyway.

Arranging B&B is usually down to the individuals, but maybe someone will post on here where to try

Terry has arranged a couple of meals ashore so you may want to add your names to those.

Charlie

1. Mrs Sea Greg + Crew TBC

2. Alfresco, Charlie, Sam, Dan and Will

3. Quest II Tom, Chris + 1 0r 2 TBC

4. Awol Martin, Dean + 1 TBC

5. Wight Magic , Dave , Gordon H , Ben

6. Phaeton, Duncan + crew tbc

7. Serenity + Paul D + Steve S

8. Abode Craig + 1 or 2 crew TBC I Hope

9. Rosie One John + 1 or 2 crew TBC

10. JV - Adam, Alun J and Rob F

11. Little Sal - Graham + Steve (woo hoo, can't wait)

12.Just Purfick- Tomo + Tubby+1 TBC Crew

Crew looking for a ride:

Forum Name............Real name

Livebaiter................Toby Randle

Tomo

Alas I have got to bow out mad.gif as have sold boat.. smile.gifsmile.gif ....so no need to get the addtional Stella Artois imported for Tubby!!!! biggrin.gif

Tomo

1. Mrs Sea Greg + Crew TBC

2. Alfresco, Charlie, Sam, Dan and Will

3. Awol Martin, Dean + 1 TBC

4. Wight Magic , Dave , Gordon H , Ben

5. Phaeton, Duncan + crew tbc

6. Serenity + Paul D + Steve S

7. Abode Craig + 1 or 2 crew TBC I Hope

8. Rosie One John + 1 or 2 crew TBC

9. JV - Adam, Alun J and Rob F

10. Little Sal - Graham + Steve (woo hoo, can't wait)

11. Free Boys - Peter, Mathew

Then there was 11

Welcome aboard Peter all as said by Charlie really. Find your own accommodation there was a list put together by Adam F but not sure if it was in this thread or a previous years foray. A few of us sleep on the boats is that an option on Free Boys?

Look forward to meeting you.

Martin

Tomo - wont the new cat be ready in time?

Peter - as others have said - it's less of a formally organised trip more of safety and more fun in numbers.

You'll need to arrange your own accomidation.

I expect we will meet at the Baker's Arms one Sun eve early May to arrange passage plans etc

Ive not informed Braye yet - I'll drop them a line shortly just to give them the heads-up. Although as Martin said - most of us just radio in on ch16 and advise of arrival on the day.

Adam

I'll take those !  Just sent email to Mark.

Alun.

Where's Rob going to sleep then Al??! tongue.gif

I'll stay on the boat if beds are an issue.

Top and Tail Ad Top and Tail!

If I need to find smewhere please advise as I will start calling!

Rob

Thanks for all your replies can't wait!! I will see what I can do re accommodation we could stay on board at a pinch.

We are on stack and store at Portland but guess it should not be too difficult to orgnise a rendezvous point.

Thanks Peter

Thanks for all your replies can't wait!! I will see what I can do re accommodation we could stay on board at a pinch.

We are on stack and store at Portland but guess it should not be too difficult to orgnise a rendezvous point.

Thanks Peter

Hurd Deeps??

Charlie biggrin.gif

Unless you want to add a good few extra miles to your crossing, Charlie's suggestion of the Hurd Deeps isnt far off... your direct route over from Portland takes in quite a different route over the channel.

The other option is to come down to Poole the night before?

Thanks Adam, I can see the logic of Hurds deep but given it's our first crossing I think a bit of company more of the way would be reassuring - I will have a think about Poole the night before though I guess this would push our fuel bill up a bit

Peter

Thanks Adam, I can see the logic of Hurds deep but given it's our first crossing I think a bit of company more of the way would be reassuring - I will have a think about Poole the night before though I guess this would push our fuel bill up a bit

Peter

Meeting around DG is always useful. Not enormously off piste from Weymouth (about 35nm) and a regular stop for the chaps on the way over from Poole.

The boys will let you know what DG is.

It will also depend on tides.

Now I am not able to go I haven't done any further homework, but with a big Westerly push you may find many of the smaller boats may get well over your way, before hiking over to Braye. Some as far over as the likes of the wrecks which are only 20 or so miles out from Weymouth.

Or if the tide is pushing the other way, you may crack over East a little way.

The veterans of the trip like Maverick, Alfresco and Adam F will be able to liaise on if these are possibilities.

Do go, it's well worth it!

My first time over on my own boat was out of Weymouth in 2005.

8 WEEKS TO GO!!

Peter - we usually try to meet a week before the trip at a pub in Poole to discuss voyage plans, so dont worry we will sort something that mean's youre in company.

PS - how about towing the boat down to Poole the day before?

Edited by Adam F

Whoop Whoop WHOOP!!!

Yey, looks like I am back in.

Greg has offered me a space on his fabulous Osprey assuming she is ready in time.

I'll be crewing with Terry and in exchange for some fishing time ( wink.gif ) I shall be working hard as galley slave, anchor monkey, part time skipper, water taxi and security guard... I can't wait!

Add me to the evenings out list Terry!

biggrin.gif

Whoop Whoop WHOOP!!!

Greg has offered me a space on his fabulous Osprey assuming she is ready in time.

I'll be crewing with Terry and in exchange for some fishing time ( wink.gif ) I shall be working hard as galley slave, anchor monkey, part time skipper, water taxi and security guard... I can't wait!

biggrin.gif

But does Greg know where the boat will be early in the mornings?

I suppose he can see speedy from his digs

Charlie biggrin.gif

Whoop Whoop WHOOP!!!

biggrin.gif

But does Greg know where the boat will be early in the mornings?

I suppose he can see speedy from his digs

Charlie biggrin.gif

Ssssh you!

We are there for the Turbot fishing!

"I checked the tides Greg and according to all my sources there is absolutely no point in you getting down to the boat before about 10.30am. I'll have her warmed up and alongside the wall for then?" wink.gif

@ Tom - Good news mate!

@ Greg - Yep - the latter! You can sleep you you get home!

After going over best part of a dozen times I NEVER got bored of this trip and am already so excited!

BTW - who is planning on staying onboard? As beds on the island are tight I'm toying with the idea of staying onboard..

Edited by Adam F