THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

folks, everything is crossed and lack of wind dances being done, i have to make the call weds morning as i am planning to get the car to poole weds pm so i can come home sunday night laden with fish (big flat tasty steak type ones and a few thick white fish fillets) the dream remains

Well, best of luck lads.

I hope that the weather holds out for you. Don't dispair, the weekend's forecast is changing all the time and as I write it looks OK for the trip over, a bit bouncy later on. But bear in mind that a few days ago Fri/Sat/Sun were calling for 20+ knots in The Solent (I have a yachting rally to attend) and now it looks as though we might well be motoring all weekend.

There's hope for you yet!

Chris

Edited by ChrisE

I will leave my call until wednesday

May have to rely on a couple of phone calls

as i am unable to get any weather reports at work

I would not be able to make the back up date

so the 48 hr weekend is my fall back date

Dave

Sorry to lose you Steve, I was looking forward to meeting you at last and talking in the evenings again.

I also need to make a decision for the sake of my crew as Sam has time off from the Navy and they tend to like some notice, especially if we are going at a later date.

So my call will probably be made tomorrow evening

Charlie

Sure we will meet up soon Charlie

Will be there as usuaul for Alderney week ........good week to get stuck over there

Sure we will meet up soon Charlie

Will be there as usuaul for Alderney week ........good week to get stuck over there rolleyes.gif

Looks marginally better this morning. Thurs and Friday OK with a bit of wind on Sat and Sun - dropping again Monday.

It still remains 50/50, last night I was on the verge of no, this morning it's swung me back the other way!

If it stays as is (fat chance of that!) I'll be looking to leave Poole early on Thurs, run the 80 odd miles straight down to the Shoale Bank for the day, same again on Fri and then see what Sat and Sun bring - if I have to play hide and seek with a bit of wind at least I'll have had a few days on the banks.

As it seems not that many can make the next date in 2 weeks time I'll do my damndest to get over this week rolleyes.gif

Lets see what the forecast brings today.... just need to concerntrate enough at work not to keep looking at the forecast every 30 mins!

Edited by Adam F

Good luck lads!

Its a shame i wont be joining you this time,

but happy fishing and hope the weather holds up!

Now i got my new hip, hope to be back out on the water soon!

Can't wait to hear all about it as i'm sat at home bored and recovering!!

tight lines!!!

Kev

That is quite an untidy set of charts Charlie.

It's no wonder why they can't quite make up their minds what is really going to happen.

Was "chatting" with Adam on Facebook and he was thinking of going Thursday as planned, fishing Friday and then taking a view as Saturday and Sunday look less predictable.

I don't think that would be on for those of us aboard Mrs Sea in that we won't even be arriving in Braye until about 22.00 on Thursday after an evening crossing from Hayling Island. That would leave just Friday to fish with nothing sure for the weekend. Only one day fishing suggests to me we may as well fish over this side instead. It's a long way for that.

I still have (fading) hope that we will see it settle nicely for the weekend too, but coming home in Northerly 5s will be wet and umcomfortable.

Fed up with sitting here checkiing weather reports, I thought I would look at the Aldeney Angling catch reports

Even more depressed now that I may not make it over, with constant good fishing being recorded.

Then a thought struck me, that their quarry seems to hold some fun fish, and may offer somthing other than drinking if the boats can not get out.

Now you could write on a stamp what I know about course or fly fishing,

But if we go and someone wants to take a rod and an absolute beginner to the quarry It may be fun laugh.gif

Rather be at speedy though

Charlie biggrin.gif

Edited by great white

biggrin.gif It's an option if we couldnt get out... or add a species or three to the species list in the harbour - or a mini species comp.... plenty to do! tongue.gif

I too am fed up with checking, Ive been in the office all day today and have met office, metcheck, windguru x 2, windfinder, XC weather and the synpotpic charts all open... desperatly looking for somthing to make this an easy decision!

It doesnt help that the forecast for today in Poole is OK, yet it's blowing hard up here in Wallisdown!

Not looking too good is it? sad.gif

The best I can see at the moment is Thurs, Fri, come home Sat - fish bream comp Sun! unsure.gif

Same here, decision to be made tomorrow afternoon.

Basically I'm happy to fish Thurs and Fri as long as I can get a window for the weather home on Sat / Sun / Mon. Its as simple as that for me, if I cant, I'll try again in 2 weeks.

Off to have a scotch to calm my nerves!

Just text Sam to say we are currently looking at going, as long as we have at least one buddy boat.

Thur, Fri looks fishable, Sat should also be ok and we may well be looking at a return Sat evening dependant on the weather forecast for sunday as it gets nearer.

I will now have a bit to do to get fueled, loaded, baited up etc, so lets hope that weather gods do their bit too.

Of course we still reserve the right to change our call, if the weather changes.

But Sam is coming home tomorrow, and we are all keen to get going

Charlie biggrin.gif

It's looking a really hard decision I am sort of thinking that I don't want our first Alderney to be a slog in adverse conditions. Also being down at Portland makes it a bit harder to get contact with a buddy boat so it would be helpful to know others route plans. Any updates appreciated I will have a look at it in the morning

Peter

On all the sites I have looked at seems like a F3 - F4 most of the days including Sunday.

Seems a stronger wind to startwith near Poole but improving further away from mainland you go.

Dave

huh.gif

Edited by Coddy

Peter

If you go what time would you leave?

I ask so that we can pair you up with the boats most likely to be crossing at that time and arrange boat names to call. Although that said I believe most boats from this end are leaving between 7-8am

Alternatively call up "any Poole Bay Small Boat" thats a general call we use to see who's out.

Martin