THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked down to Baiter earlier and it looked a tad lumpy but I have just walked down there again and it is the flattest I have seen it for over 2 weeks.

The flags are all hanging and even the sailing dinghy's are going slow so it looks like the wind Gods have come up trumps for you.

Have a great trip, I am hoping I will be celebrating in my own way Saturday but I am sure I will still be thinking of you all.

Tight lines.

seen the boat today its filthy but its got an engine, and i stuck some mooring bits up front, car is now down in poole so this trip better come off,

tom

am getting the boat back earlier ( i dont think money exchanged hands) so should make rv earlier if you can be there about 4 will ring in the morning

I walked down to Baiter earlier and it looked a tad lumpy but I have just walked down there again and it is the flattest I have seen it for over 2 weeks.

The flags are all hanging and even the sailing dinghy's are going slow so it looks like the wind Gods have come up trumps for you.

Have a great trip, I am hoping I will be celebrating in my own way Saturday but I am sure I will still be thinking of you all.

Tight lines.

Thanks Graham

I hope that it is a good game and the correct outcome for you

Charlie

many apologies to all but espeacially tom and terry, engine looks lovelly and didnt miss a beat. left eastbourne to lots of white water but the bay ok but having crossed the ledge and passed the head it got a bit silly. tom gave the boat a memorable day a few years back but complained of hitting the roof, well i think , for the first time ever i was hittting the roof, didnt fancy that for the 40 odd miles to chichester let alone the crossing, shame really the down wind surfing home was a doddle. wife had to come and get me but she took me to the local thai restaurant to recover!

all those miles on a rough sea would not have been my idea of fun either Greg .....

Last night I was regretting my call to cancel, but this morning I thought I had made the right shout.

There's plenty of water out there without making myself too uncomfortable.

all those miles on a rough sea would not have been my idea of fun either Greg .....

Last night I was regretting my call to cancel, but this morning I thought I had made the right shout.

There's plenty of water out there without making myself too uncomfortable.

thank you for the suppourt, i will be going over this year and asap, (car is still in poole so need to get there to get it back) perhaps we can get another trip organised

greg

Greg

Look at the dates for the 48 hour comp.

Good tides for the crossing and fishing.

Officially I am working that weekend, but if I can get the time off I would love to remain as anchor monkey.

You made the right call yesterday. When boating is concerned, always go with your instincts and not your heart.

Tom

Unlucky lads...... a difficult decision for anyone let alone with all the build up and anticipation/planning that has gone before but the skippers decision has to be the right one and safety must come first, so a good call.

Upside is I've been to Alderney several times after the Turbot and a trip I made in June one year produced the best flattie fishing with some nice Bass caught aswell.

Best wishes,

Mike

Hope the chaps have seen this from the Met Office inshore forecast (the bold bit especially):

Channel Islands

For coastal areas up to 12 miles offshore from 1200 UTC Fri 13 May until 1200 UTC Sat 14 May

24 hour forecast:

WindWest or northwest 2 or 3, increasing 3 or 4 later this afternoon then 4 or 5 overnight.

Sea StateSlight becoming moderate.

WeatherFair.VisibilityGood.

Outlook for the following 24 hours:

WindNorthwest 4 or 5 increasing 5, perhaps locally 6 in the afternoon, decreasing 4 on Sunday.

Sea StateModerate, locally rather rough for a time.

Mike

Edited by Mike Fox

Hope the chaps have seen this from the Met Office inshore forecast (the bold bit especially):

Channel Islands

For coastal areas up to 12 miles offshore from 1200 UTC Fri 13 May until 1200 UTC Sat 14 May

24 hour forecast:

WindWest or northwest 2 or 3, increasing 3 or 4 later this afternoon then 4 or 5 overnight.

Sea StateSlight becoming moderate.

Outlook for the following 24 hours:

WindNorthwest 4 or 5 increasing 5, perhaps locally 6 in the afternoon, decreasing 4 on Sunday.

Sea StateModerate, locally rather rough for a time.

Mike

never seen that before 'rather rough'......

as you know Mike, any wind over a big tide can make it locally 'horribly rough' around the islands rolleyes.gif

NW isn't too bad for fishing the south of the island, as long as you can get round from Braye on a slack or flooding tide, and the forecast for Sun looks much better (than Sat). You can even fish the harbour in that NW!

I know what Martin means - cream crackered! A TOUGH return leg for all boats today F4/5 NW in the channel all day - not nice, but all boats back safe and sound.

Plenty of wind, plenty of waves... and plenty of FISH!!

Photo's and full trip report to follow tomorrow biggrin.gifcool.gif

We made portland fine at about two, crossing was tiring but doable. Was a great first time trip and thanks for Everyone who offered help and advice, all the radio chat on the way back was a good distraction from boredom and a reasurance we werent alone

Anyway thanks too every one who made it a great weekend

Matt(peters long suffering son)