THE ALDERNEY Trip Planner

great white

As this is already 2 pages long I thought it might be time to look at dates

i have just had a look at the tides and it does not look that easy to pick a good one.

Who is thinking of going again? and what thoughts on the tides?

To me it looks best on the 12th/13th

with a back up on the late bank holiday which are even smaller tides.

The late May bank Holiday is sometimes busy for me, I usually have something on at work.

Adam have you had a chance to look at the comp dates for next year yet?

I am sure we would not want to clash with the bream comp, but the 48hr is OK.

Go on then I will start the list off

1. Mrs Sea Greg + Crew TBC

2. Alfresco, Charlie Sam and Dan + crew TBC

Charlie biggrin.gif

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it looks best on the 12th/13th

with a back up on the late bank holiday which are even smaller tides.

The late May bank Holiday is sometimes busy for me, I usually have something on at work.

Adam have you had a chance to look at the comp dates for next year yet?

I am sure we would not want to clash with the bream comp, but the 48hr is OK.

Go on then I will start the list off

Charlie biggrin.gif

3. Quest II Tom, Chris + 1 0r 2 TBC

For me the dates Charlie mention look nice although I am less bothered than before over having really small tides. We personally only fish for the Tubs briefly and we can do that at the start or end of a tide if drifting too quick.

I think that some of the other species may get more turned on by a bit more water flow and the Tope eddies will probably be more defined too (?).

The downside to the bigger tides would be the wrecking can be hard work and the fuel burn high with all the punching back up for new drifts.

The next set of tides that look lovely are from Wednesday 1st June until Saturday 4th. Real mid sized "please everyone" tides.

4. Awol Martin, Dean + 1 TBC

5. Wight Magic , Dave + crew TBC

6. Phaeton, Duncan + crew tbc

but is this 12/13 May or June - neither is a weekend...(which doesn't worry me anyway)

Edited by duncan

Count me in, please

7. Serenity + crew TBC

8. Abode Craig + 1 or 2 crew TBC I Hope

9. Rosie One John + 1 or 2 crew TBC

Wow that was quick, 9 already biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Duncan I was thinking of trying the 4 days again, 12th I believe is Thursday back Sunday.

the late may BH is a very small tide, but I doubt I can get time off.

That should not stop the trip, but it will stop Alfresco going, loaning the boat to the boys for a trip to the bay is one thing biggrin.gif , an alderney trip is another. laugh.gifsad.gif

Early June may clash with the 48Hr but not sure yet, and if it does it would not matter that much.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Ok, if there is anyone with a space I would be happy to crew and obviously share costs.

I am the "all the gear and no idea" type, but will be a very attentive learner.

When will the dates be decided? I am yet to book next years holidays so dates and accomodation dependent, once I confirm/commit I will not let you down.

Graham.

Ok, if there is anyone with a space I would be happy to crew and obviously share costs.

When will the dates be decided? I am yet to book next years holidays so dates and accomodation dependent, once I confirm/commit I will not let you down.

Graham.

Graham

Rarely does the crew let us down, more often the weather and that always scuppers a few individuals / boat plans. rolleyes.gif

I suggest we go with 4 days from 12th May with a back up date of four days from 1st June???

Tom

7. Serenity + crew TBC

8. Abode Craig + 1 or 2 crew TBC I Hope

9. Rosie One John + 1 or 2 crew TBC

10. Sweet Chariot - Oli, Nick, Tim, Duncan

Bring it on!

Graham.

Graham

Rarely does the crew let us down, more often the weather and that always scuppers a few individuals / boat plans. rolleyes.gif

I suggest we go with 4 days from 12th May with a back up date of four days from 1st June???

Tom

I can understand that the weather is obviously the major deciding factor, but how do you all get on with booking accommodation (or do you sleep on board)?

Some onboard some in B&B.

On our little boats, B&B's are defiitely a better option, but there is something fun about sleeping onboard.

BUT, I am not sleeping on the deck in a pink pop up tent next year!!!

does that mean there's a spare pink tent Tom? biggrin.gif

Charlie - thanks for the clarification on dates.

Some onboard some in B&B.

On our little boats, B&B's are defiitely a better option, but there is something fun about sleeping onboard.

BUT, I am not sleeping on the deck in a pink pop up tent next year!!!

does that mean there's a spare pink tent Tom? biggrin.gif

Charlie - thanks for the clarification on dates.

Yes, unless my crew want to borrow it.

I'll be sleeping in the double berth! smile.gif

Blimey - you boys are keen! This is usually my traditional Jan 2nd 'ward away the new year blues' post...

I'll have a rest and let Charlie plan it this year... tongue.gif

I'm putting the dates together for next years events this weekend so this is helpful.

My 2p worth....

Going late in May is risky from a planning perspective - bearing in mind I'm planning a June Alderney trip and a 2/3 day wrecking trip to Cherbourg - if this gets blown out we are struggling for free weekends.

The flatty fishing is usually better earlier.

A medium tide would suit all comers - appreciate not all want to fish for the turbos, but many of us do - some something in the middle suits.

My choice would be to stick to the BH w/e - 29th April - Mon 2nd - Fri is a smallish tide but grows alot over the weekend. Although the suggestion of 12-15th is a similar set of tides and works OK too....

My other issue as I sit here planning the 2011 comp dates is that the 15th is the prime tide in May for the bream comp....

It's not fair to the other members to schedule Alderney around the Bream comp - but the tides for 2011 are very awkward - most weekends are all or nothing tide wise!

My other issue as I sit here planning the 2011 comp dates is that the 15th is the prime tide in May for the bream comp....

It's not fair to the other members to schedule Alderney around the Bream comp - but the tides for 2011 are very awkward - most weekends are all or nothing tide wise!

Adam

Club comps first as the core membership should come first and all other trips are secondary. On that basis I agree with your first set of dates.

That said I will go across the channel when the weather allows me especially as I didn't make the crossing last year

Martin

Adam

Club comps first as the core membership should come first and all other trips are secondary. On that basis I agree with your first set of dates.

That said I will go across the channel when the weather allows me especially as I didn't make the crossing last year

Martin

I think this is the crux of it Martin - the weather.

Planning is important (and obviously fun) but it such trips tend to all come down to opportunity

There won't be many Bream to catch in Alderney then. Doesn't normally get going for them until August through October.

I may well go over on the original dates we suggested anyway (12th to 15th).

The extra couple of weeks will (hopefully) see more settled weather and another degree or two on air and water temperature which will make things a little more pleasant.

Should be plenty of Turbot there for the early bank holiday weekend, but they aren't my bag (I prefer something to fight back) for more than one tide, not to mention I often struggle with getting bank hols off.

Just a thought as an alternative, but why not a happy medium.

That being Alderney from Sunday 8th to Wednesday 11th.

Mixture of medium to small tides (great Conger tide on the way home Charlie).

Mid channel drifting will be a bit hit and miss and it may be worth considering Sunday 22nd to Wednesday 25th which mirrors those tides. We should be seeing some Cod over the wrecks and possibly banks by then...?

Oh I don't know.

I just know I am not a fan of going to Alderney too early as it seriously cuts down on the additional species beyond Turbot. Nothing against Turbot, I love eating them, but they are so boring to fish for and catch.

I want to go next year,not sure on mine or crew?Will wait until a firm dates are posted( weather dependent)

Tom please stop confusing everybody tongue.gif and when plan A and plan B dates are decided .

Nige

I think what I am saying Nige is that the only dates that don't appeal particularly to me are BIG tides or the very beginning of the month.

Im really struggling with this.

Im looking at a club trip to Cherbourg in July - possibly 8,9 and 10th which should be prime wrecking time

June has the 48hr - which for me has become a traditional excuse to get back over to Alderney again, I'm looking at 10,11 and 12th June for this.

So, leaving the first trip to late in May squeezes the dates somewhat.

My conclusion is that we either accept that the Alderney trip and bream trip will clash and have it on the 13-16th or go over the 1st May weekend 29th -2nd??