Beat ing the new year blues!

Adam F

Well it's back to work for me tomorrow - bugger! mad.gifmad.gif

So!! It's time to look ahead and cheer up! It is only 4 months to our annual club trip over the channel to Alderney! Horrayyyy!! biggrin.gif

Early days yet of course, but I guess we will be looking at the May bank holiday weekend, leaving Thurs/ Fri and back Sun/ Mon weather dependant.

JV will be going again and space for 2/3 crew. Who else fancies it??

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the tides for the first May bank holiday are too big, and I will be working for a regatta for the later one.

I may have to look at taking a long weekend between the two, after going twice it seems important to get the tides right.

But the skipper and crew are as keen as ever biggrin.gif

Charlie

I think the tides for the first May bank holiday are too big, and I will be working for a regatta for the later one.

I may have to look at taking a long weekend between the two, after going twice it seems important to get the tides right.

Charlie

I'll second Charlie's comments regarding tides.

I am sooooo looking forward to heading over with Quest II, but will be booking my days around the tide tables rather than the actual dates.

For Turbot, I plan to go on neaps as I hate to drag a weight to slow the drift.

Interestingly, if you want an early May trip, Thursday 6th through Monday 10th are perfect flattie tides. Then Sunday 6th June to Thursday 10th June also look good.

I may leave it until early / mid Juneish or even the end of July and make use of the mid channel marks on the way home too?

Monday 21st June to Friday 25th would seem like a nice week to also have a go at the mid channel Cod (and Conger 'ey Charlie?) en route back in? Or Monday 5th July to Friday 9th July? Definitely good mid channel action (maybe even a little late) by Monday 19th July throught to Saturday 24th July?

Tom

Edited by TomBettle

Charlie

I'll second Charlie's comments regarding tides.

I am sooooo looking forward to heading over with Quest II, but will be booking my days around the tide tables rather than the actual dates.

For Turbot, I plan to go on neaps as I hate to drag a weight to slow the drift.

Interestingly, if you want an early May trip, Thursday 6th through Monday 10th are perfect flattie tides. Then Sunday 6th June to Thursday 10th June also look good.

I may leave it until early / mid Juneish or even the end of July and make use of the mid channel marks on the way home too?

Monday 21st June to Friday 25th would seem like a nice week to also have a go at the mid channel Cod (and Conger 'ey Charlie?) en route back in? Or Monday 5th July to Friday 9th July? Definitely good mid channel action (maybe even a little late) by Monday 19th July throught to Saturday 24th July?

Tom

well, what a coincidence, all those dates seem free in my diary Tom!

rolleyes.gif

now if only we could book the weather in the same way........

This thread always grows quick LOL biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I hope that Adam can fill in the comp dates soon and then we can look to Alderney dates

I would like to try not to go on teh 48 hr comp weekend, but if tides and weather are good it could be a plan, maybe go a day early or stay a day late

{OR BOTH}

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif bring it on

Just read through 15 pages of last years build up, via the link on Adams second post. biggrin.gif

It brings back all the excitement of the build up, and reminds me of all the planning required.

If you are thinking of coming its well worth a read, then check out the post trip reports

can someone add a link?

Fingers crossed we can go again, in convoy.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Our new boat is not even in the mold yet but if all goes to plan we intend to tag along if that's ok. Not done that sort of distance yet but have done the classroom theory, it will be nice to put into practice with club members around for support. Might even catch some fish too.

Colin biggrin.gif

Does indeed brighten up the January gloom - looking at the sunny pictures from last May!

My catch report here: http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8757

As for dates - I'm also flexible. Personally I find the flatty fishing better on the big tides, but harder work, equally the smaller tides are easy to fish, but I find dont throw up the numbers??

I'd like something small to medium, but will fit with the consensus. Whilst it would be nice to use the May bank holidays, if we dont then I'm happy just to book it off work.

Anyone have a weblink to tides in Braye for May?

Edited by Adam F