ALDERNEY 2014

great white

If anyone wants a meeting before the trip we could use the same venue as last year.

Tea and biscuits provided.

I will also make a call regarding crushed ice.

May have a possible source for a large volume just need to speak to the right person.

I will get an answer asap and also cost of course.

I have sorted some ice if anyone requires it for the trip.

Flaked, I had mine from there last year and still had ice on the way home.

Arranged to meet at Greenslade's Thursday early evening with containers / cool boxes and will be £10 for a fill up each.

I will let them know how many and of course weather permitting a couple of days beforehand.

Hope this helps.

For anyone going from weymouth end Weyfish on the quay will fill a large ictec box with ice for £2 such good value I generally give them a fiver. Just phone the day before to make sure machine is on

Peter

Would love to join you guys this year, its a trip I've wanted to make for a while now.

Is it feasible to sleep on the boat or are there only swinging moorings available?

Probably a bit late to get sorted now, been a bit focused on sorting the June WSF meet at Portland.

Are any others going across from Weymouth/Portland?

I will read back to the start of the thread, just wanted to acknowledge the heads up from a couple of the guys here.  :)  :)

paul

if you can make the trip it is an experience well worth having! I have great memories of both my weather aborted attempts to get west and the year I made it. health and boat issues rule me out this year but I hope to get "down west" later in the summer, either for the wsf meet or some club events. if you can make it go for it

greg

Just been looking at a bit more info on the mooring mallarky and found this....http://www.visitalderney.com/files/managed/sail_to_alderney_guide.pdf

Do any of you veterans make use of the duty free fuel or just take a few spare cans along?

Still haven't managed to rustle up any victims, whoops meant to say crew to come on the trip but will keep asking around as I really like the idea of an Alderney trip.

It is a difficult balance between taking enough fuel to get you to Alderney safely (should conditions change, you end up sharing the tow of a buddy etc) v making the most of the fuel prices!

Also, some boats may refuel on crossing day on the way to the banks depending on amount of fuel remaining and of course timing of the tide to allow entry to the inner harbour.

Though i think most boats brim their tanks for the journey home as it makes sense to on a cost perspective.

And yes we do make use of the duty free booze allowance!

Thanks,

Rob

Blundered into this, and thought I'd share... http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000289&propertyType=document#P44_4960

3.1 Do I need to fly the yellow ‘Q’ flag?

If you are arriving directly from another EU Member State there is no need to fly the ‘Q’ flag.

If you are arriving from outside the EU (and this includes the Channel Islands) you must fly the ‘Q’ flag, where it can readily be seen, as soon as you enter UK waters (the 12 mile limit). Do not take down the flag until you have finished reporting to the customs authorities, as described in sub-section 3.2 Failure to comply will make you liable to a penalty.

Paul I go over with full fuel tank(350l) then fuel up over their if possible on arrival then as Rob says refuel before the trip home.  The fuel is cheaper but it's not in my opinion worth worrying about any savings that could be made versus safety. 

I have never bought any of the duty free booze etc so can't comment re savings to be had.

Depends on how much fishing/drifting we do on the way over however probably in the region of 100 litres.  As you know refuelling times depends on tides for the inner harbour access, if we can fuel up on arrival no need then to refuel until it's time to come home leaving the only things to bring a day to an early halt is either weather or Dean running out of beers :D

For those that haven't been I allow for 3-400 litres of fuel for the 4 days on a 25' boat

Thanks for the info guys, I should have plenty of fuel to do the full trip but worth getting the info of what is available from those who have done the trip before.

It makes sense to refill before the return trip.

Still hoping to find crew for this trip.