ALDERNEY 2014

great white

Yep

Anyone else excited?

Yep......................................very, I haven't been out on AWOL since before xmas so really need a fix.  Leg s serviced, shake down this Sunday looking for Bream engine service in 2 weeks then we will start sorting out all the kit for the trip........bring it on

1. Alfresco, Charlie plus crew tbc

2. AWOL - Martin + Dean

3. Wight Magic Dave +crew already sorted

4. Kingfisher - Chris + Chris A

5. Tigerfish - Steve, Lloyd, Alan

6. Freeboys Peter + Matt + RobF + NickT

7. Wandering Star - Andrew, Terry & Tony

8. Manta Ray...Tomo, PJ, Tubby, Paul D ,Steve, Paul Walker, Brian Vincent, Andy Barnes Pilot.

9.JV - Adam, Ian and Alun

10. Aqus 2 - Dan, Dad (BobR - just joined the forum) & crew 

11. Lilbrit?

2. AWOL - Martin + Dean
3. ???????  Dave + Dean + Kev + Craig
6. Freeboys Peter + Matt + RobF + NickT
8. Manta Ray...Tomo, PJ, Tubby, Paul D ,Steve, Paul Walker, Brian Vincent, Andy Barnes Pilot.
11. Lilbrit?

Would love to join you guys this year, its a trip I've wanted to make for a while now.

Is it feasible to sleep on the boat or are there only swinging moorings available?

Probably a bit late to get sorted now, been a bit focused on sorting the June WSF meet at Portland.

Are any others going across from Weymouth/Portland?

I will read back to the start of the thread, just wanted to acknowledge the heads up from a couple of the guys here.  :)  :)

Paul

Peter and Matt are departing from Portland in their newly acquired Marlin 755, in previous years they made the journey in their Marlin 6 one of the smallest craft in our club to make the trip.

I have slept on the boat many times as have other members.  The only moorings available are swinging in Braye Harbour.  Only once have we had to raft up.  It is a good idea to take along a dingy not for rowing ashore (water taxi is easier :) ) but to leave on your claimed buoy so you have somewhere to moor on return from a days fishing.

Why not post on here and wsf for crew you really would be more than welcome to join us

Any other questions ask away

2. AWOL - Martin + Dean

3. ??????? Dave + Dean + Kev + Craig

6. Redfin Peter + Matt + RobF + NickT

11. Lilbrit?

Sleeping onboard is fine, I've done it many times now. The facilities in Braye are basic but clean, the showers are hot. As Martin says they are all swinging moorings, most of us moor stern on when sleeping onboard to avoid the bow where you sleep taking the slap all night.

However after doing this trip for a number of years even the hardcore are staying on land this year. The novelty seems to have worn off, and a warm comfortable bed that doesn't move isn't a bad shout for around £30 a head.

Would be good to have you along.

Adam

Paul

Peter and Matt are departing from Portland in their newly acquired Marlin 755, in previous years they made the journey in their Marlin 6 one of the smallest craft in our club to make the trip.

I have slept on the boat many times as have other members.  The only moorings available are swinging in Braye Harbour.  Only once have we had to raft up.  It is a good idea to take along a dingy not for rowing ashore (water taxi is easier :) ) but to leave on your claimed buoy so you have somewhere to moor on return from a days fishing.

Why not post on here and wsf for crew you really would be more than welcome to join us

Any other questions ask away

Thanks Martin,

Peter has been in touch to confirm that, I'm looking along the lines of perhaps sleeping on the boat but going ashore for the craic in the evenings.

I can just imagine the usual mutts howling about "pirate chartering" if I posted on here and WSF looking for crew PMSL

Paul

Sleeping onboard is fine, I've done it many times now. The facilities in Braye are basic but clean, the showers are hot. As Martin says they are all swinging moorings, most of us moor stern on when sleeping onboard to avoid the bow where you sleep taking the slap all night.

However after doing this trip for a number of years even the hardcore are staying on land this year. The novelty seems to have worn off, and a warm comfortable bed that doesn't move isn't a bad shout for around £30 a head.

Would be good to have you along.

Adam

The boat is pretty well fitted out for staying on board, when I'm down for a week at Portland I use the showers there and sleep on the boat. Usually hook up to the mains for heating but if no power available (probably need a longish cable to reach to the shore at Braye ;) ;) I stick the Eberspacher on.  I didn't think there would be much left by way of accommodation ashore at this late stage but will check it out.

Do any of you guys stay over an extra day or two?  Seems a long trip for such a short stopover?

4 days is enough, it's pretty full on and I know I come back shattered! I wouldn't really want to do any longer.

The other thing is having a weather window that allows you to stay that long! It's usually an ask to get the 4 days!

Hi paul

i am peters son and co skipper in training.

we have slept onboard the previous two trips (me in a tent on the back.

its doable but very disconcerting the first night on a swinging mooring!

i think the sense of adventure made it enjoable first time!

1. Alfresco, Charlie, Sam, Dan, and Will.
2. AWOL - Martin + Dean
3. ??????? Dave + Dean + Kev + Craig
6. Redfin Peter + Matt + RobF + NickT
11. Lilbrit?