Are the Danish fishing fleet out of control.

Mal Thomas

the best the fishing industry can hope for is the Norway model. that gets the UK out of CAP and common fisheries policy, but keeps single market access to sell into. If we drop out without a deal, we might be able to keep the EU fleet out of british waters, but there will be a 20% plus tariff to export to the EU, where most of the catch go.

4 hours ago, codpiece said:

or we can grow some gonads and just go out and catch what we want from where we want it,  JUST LIKE WE USED TO.      DV

that's the sort of attitude that will really mess up fish stocks. Don't believe all the bull about the EU boats doing all the damage and our fleet being whiter than white. We have a shady history when it comes to commercial fishing and a free for all would result in the collapse of all fish stocks.

ha, i am all for controlled fishing, it is clear that left unchecked the fishing fleets of Europe would decimate fish stocks to the point of no return within a decade. Norway and Iceland have proved that you can manage fish stocks to a sustainable level with careful control.

But on the other side of the coin, i can also see the complete frustration driven by CFP with actions like last years recreational bass ban, while at the same time increasing the commercial bass allowance of the trawlers

18 hours ago, dicky said:

that's the sort of attitude that will really mess up fish stocks. Don't believe all the bull about the EU boats doing all the damage and our fleet being whiter than white. We have a shady history when it comes to commercial fishing and a free for all would result in the collapse of all fish stocks.

it won't mess up fish stocks THEY ALREADY ARE  our home fishing fleet has long gone and i don't remember it as large or intrusive as our combined european  partners are     we i agree  bear some responsibility for the present situation  but a holiday in a fishing town/harbour/village and you won't see many or any offshore boats.    i am 82 and 60 yrs ago as crew fished out of Coverack,  NOT ANY MORE  i don't even know the boat owners.  the harbour is now filled with small pleasure craft the fishing community is no more.  the social club on the harbour wall gone.  Lifeboat gone (no crew)  Their fishing grounds off the Lizard and into the channel are gone  and they weren't fished out by locals.    our non local fishermen friends haven't just destroyed the grounds they have decimated the local population.   I went down to mudeford quay the other day and only knew 3 fishermen.  i remember the quay with local boats tied up  for most of its length.  I was the lifeboat cox/helm from 1970 to1985 and only met 2 old crew i knew.   I do really wish you & all who go to sea well.    Derek

My family are based in NE Scotland and fishing was there way of life Fraserburgh and Peterhead was vibrant with fishing boats but have all but left the industry because they couldn’t bear to see dead fish being thrown back instead of adjusting the quotas another way 

Sad

Getting back to the facts, the Danish Fleet and several others have been misreporting by up to 1000% on Bycatch, subsides are still being paid to fishers not meeting the regs. One fisher caught 5 times for mis reporting with no sanctions.

I know we are no better. The size of fleet and advanced technology they use is factory sized shipping and huge quantities.

Ring fence our countries coastline and lets manage our own fleet and not all European fleets.

Something went wholesale wrong this year with the Cod stocks, similarly the mackerel in past years. Some one is intercepting them on migration and wiping them out.

Did anyone see that Trawler programme a few years ago when a new £11m purpose built boat was launched in Scotland and on its first commissioning trip, in one haul of its nets it caught 500 tons of Mackerel. Maybe that's where the Mackerel have gone.

And what about the hidden factory that was discovered in, I think Peterhead, where there was a wholesale processing plant just handling "black" fish, hundreds of tons of it.

I'm afraid our own commercial fleet are no saints, it's just that the European fleet is vastly bigger and pull all the same tricks. Greed, greed and more greed.

I've just read an excellent book "Silver Shoals" by Rangely-Wilson which looks at some of the problems. Well worth a read.

That was in Shetland if i remember correct. Underground tunnels transporting fish to a secret packing area for distribution. There are many factors leading to over fishing but mainly rule makers and commercials are responsible. I don't think recreational anglers even scratch the surface