JoJo heads west, again!

Rob

So, this was our reserve date and the window on Sunday was there, it disappeared and Friday finally looked stable.

Saturday we towed JoJo to near Falmouth, and went for real accommodation instead of camper van plus tent for me.

We scoped out a new slip near where we stayed (about 1/2 a mile). All looked ok and the yard were relaxed. £8 to launch with parking!

Minds you, trailer storage was across a little bay (on an island!), and if the tide was in you had to pull it through knee deep water for 100yds. That was the days exercise sorted!

Sunday, we woke to still trees and the odd break of sun. We prepped the boat - removing cover and stowing gear etc before we headed to the slip.

The water was glass flat and oily looking, perfect!

We shot out to our known 'hot spot' which was the most pleasant trip yet. 20 knots all the way, amazing!

We did our thing and set the traps. 2 baits, one shallow-ish and the other a little deeper. Within 20mins, a reel was screaming.

The fish fish aboard was angry, I was just setting the go-pro on a pole when I saw the tip of the rod by me bounce. We brought her aboard and was probably around 60lb (having brought aboard fish to 76lb last time we fished here).

We had a pup and another around the boat, I had not seen such small blues before.

507215f7c3de422854e6b2eac2e7ffaa.jpg

My biggest was very interested in the boat, cruising around and so close we could have grabber her. I upped the gear for this fish, it was dwarfing the '50s'. So TLD20, 80lb braid, 30lb class rod. The drag was set to 'I can't pull any line out' and I tried to lower the bait infront of her, trying to avoid a smaller fish. She would not touch the bait by the boat or under it. I saw her mouth the bait 15ft down under the boat, very delicate and inquisitive. So, I put a float on and drifted it 15ft from us. Within a couple of minutes, it was game on! Wow, such power, good runs, but short bursts with lulls where is could bring her close to only go again. She is the one smiling (I think, there were a few!):

7a9d12d11c26cf9a455dc9759ea6f621.jpg

It was a hectic session, 15 sharks with the biggest heading to 150lb. 3 were certainly well over 100lb.

5 hrs averaging one shark every 20mins, I think we have got the technique right, at 17:00 the pub was calling! We could have got 20, we could have fished more rods with double hook ups, as often a hook shark will have a 'follower'. But from a handling and unhooking point of view, we bring the second rod in once one is on.

We only missed 2 bites that didn't hookup as we like to hit early so no gut hooking.

437d69caa04cc662c42d5651be7ae16c.jpg

I had a follow on a rapala, which was exciting, but no hit! Now that would have been fun. My crew Nick had his 100+ as did I with my other one on the Ugly Stick 20/30 gx2, great rods and paired with some Daiwa 6000 size fixed spools was ace sport! Nick's went ballistic with 4 really good runs and the spool was getting hot! (Didn't quite get to pouring water on the reel!).

dcdb2bce3922c982032f0074246a05f1.jpg

We saw dolphins (always goes quiet when they are about). There were bait balls of small sprat sized fish, being balled up to the surface by mackerel. With such a clam day, you could hear the bait balls approaching from 400yds! We saw something jump, maybe a thresher or perhaps a tuna in our scent trail, which was a good 1/2 mile long, what it was we will never know.

7449987985dbe9a514bd60f0d85f7148.jpg

An awesome day and I will be back, that's for sure!

Rob

Absolutely awesome Rob - any video to come?

Not really - barely had time to eat! shark every 20 mins kept us busy. sometimes it was a case on releasing a fish and putting the other rod bcak in had a bit within 30 seconds.

Hopefully Nick has some underwater of the biggy mouthing my bait, but he was nervous with his hand just on the top of the water. Probably from the fish that brushed his hand as it glided past!

The good stuff, such as, fins on the surface etc is uaully too far away for the go-pro type cameras to show. We again had major interest in the floats, some fish would give them a right go! I think it was the scent in the water that had them highly strung and on a mission.

Surprisingly the last fish came to a small mushy maccy tail that was smaller than the hook! The "just one more" then we are out of bait one!

R

Well done you have it sussed really well!! Congratulations on an excellent day!

Indeed Matt, have honded the attracting skills and the rest is the easy bit. Once the scent trail is set and they find it they come to you. I like the fact we don't anchor, as sometimes they circle the boat once hooked, good thing is with JoJo is, she tends to get dragged and turned by the fish!!!! (you know you have enough drag on when that happens)

R

Brilliant report Rob

It's great when a plan comes together and to catch so many large fish.

I can only look on with sheer envy,

Greg

Cheers Greg,

yes, a bit of planning and big effort for a days angling makes it sweet! Especially as last yr we went out for a morning, then the whole of the following day without a touch (new location west of the Lizard).

I do wonder what i would then challenge if i lived that way. Tuna maybe, Mako, Great White? Then i expect the blues are a nuisance.

Rob

Next yrs family early summer holiday taking the boat is not Dartmouth (first time in 8 yrs), guess where it is?!?!?!?!?! 

Olivia is certainly interested in trying for a Blue, not sure if we will be too early though, no harm in trying! She now has a couple of teeth that fell out in the boat Sunday.

R

Well done Rob, reward for all your efforts it's great when a plan comes together. A 150lb Blue is a seriously decent fish, brilliant.

Sadly my idea of going for Tuna this year is not going to come off, work, too much of it is scuppering the plans.