Frisky/Feisty Fox

Mike Fox

Removed the old anchor rope today. It's about 25m of 3-strand 18mm nylon, stained brown and green and stiff with salt, silt and age. It was so twisted and cockled it could never have come out of the anchor locker, and one of the twisted loops had tangled with the knot at the "bitter end". It was a major fight getting it out of the locker, until I dropped the freed end down to ground level where it continued to writhe and squirm like some mythical serpent.

A serrated blade knife quickly destroyed the back splice to the 10mm calibrated chain, and the whole rope finally fell away to ground level.

Carol and I stretched it out in the yard again, releasing 30 to 50 of the kinks and twists. Finally, we'd tamed it. All I had to do was to coil it. It proved to be so stiff, I couldn't do it, and ended up making a loop and rolling it like a hula hoop about 3' wide to collect the coils. Carol helped me squash it, and tie it in the middle, and we stuffed it in the boot of the car to wash at home.

Easier said than done, it wouldn't fold to get into the washing machine. We stuffed it into the bath first, to try to soften it. We had a bucketful of Studland sand, and the same amount of Newtown Creek mud. Not sure the previous owner went anywhere else. Tried re-tying it into a smaller bundle, and stuffing that into the washing machine, but no chance :( Carol finally fed the rope into the machine a yard at a time using all of the available space. Will have to see what it's like ...but the jury is currently out.

Am sure it has value, perhaps the 7 tonne likely beaking strain means it could be a tow rope in an emergency? All we have to do is clean it, soften it, coil it properly, and file it away somewhere it can't escape by itself and eat us all in the dark.... :D

The second major job of the day was modifying the removable butt flap ladder. This is about 4' long, folds in the middle one way only, and has two hoops at the top, and normally lives in a cockpit locker. To deploy it, the 1" stainless tubes fit into a 1" deep recess in stainless fittings, so in theory you can swim off the back and get back aboard. A bigger problem is the height of the topsides, and the heroic leap needed to get down to a pontoon, even if you use the "fender step" gadget. Carol is less keen on leaping heroically than when we first started boating (he said diplomatically :D) so we need an improvement. This ladder with a pair of offset legs to keep it vertical and away from the hull could fit beautifully amidships. The stainless welder who did such a good job on the boarding ladder set to with some leftover bits, and permanent, but adjustable legs were fitted. The bad news is there wasn't enough depth of teak to take an inch recess. Luckily he had some stainless tubing that fits inside 1" standard tube, and cut some 15mm slices. These he welded onto drilled stainless disks, and made 4 custom "feet" for the ladder. Plan A is to fit these directly onto the teak deck, with ample Sikaflex, and securing screws through. Plan B, in case Plan A fails, is to recess the stainless disks into the teak, and screw into the deck itself, using ample Sikaflex to prevent leaks. Plan C, is the same as plan B, but to bolt through - but am not currently sure I have access to the places needed. Wish me luck with Plan A, and no filming of Carol leaping heroically when we first try it out!

Mike

My next challenge is to convert one of the cockpit lockers from a white fibreglass pit into organised storage.

I really struggle thinking in three dimensions, and envisaging the end result, so I've tried to break the problem down into discrete requirements.

The base of the locker follows the turn of the hull, and is too slippery to get down here regularly, and use the bottom bit. I'm going to use lengths of quadrant or baton stuck to the hull to mark a level, then cover over with removable planks. The odd shaped section underneath will be more accessible if planked, and it's probably somewhere the bulky "tow rope" can be stored. 

There's a sealed gas locker protruding into the left side locker as you peer down. I think a few sections of quadrant or baton will make a storage shelf with fiddles on top, and vertical batons could allow some kind of retaining elastic line. This is the possible tackle box spot which I've been looking for. Might need a backing pad for a bracing pole underneath, and maybe a length of marine ply along the top edge for rope tidies, so storage under for items like jerry cans and buckets can have a reachable rope loop to pull it out. Will have to see.

There's a low shelf the opposite side, which is too low to be readily reached, and too slippery for practical storage. Similar treatment will make the shelf useable, and maybe a site for flares, or a lead bucket or other items, which will be reached via a rope loop, secured above. Out of the way, but still accessible. Should work.

The base should have enough space left over for a small fish box. More of a storage receptacle for polish, cleaning stuff etc, rather than a box for small fish ;) Again, some kind of accessible rope to reach it will be needed.

The main improvement will be rope and fender storage. I'm going to bond a couple of backing pads so a pole braced between them can go along one edge, and will rig another pair and pole along the back.

Warps and shorelines can be dangled from the right-hand one via clove hitches, keeping them within reasonable reach. If this has a gap of a few inches to the side, there might be just enough space for boathook and deck brush stowage, using vertical PVC tubes bonded at the bottom to keep it organised.

The other at the back of the locker will be used for fenders in a similar manner, then just dropping them where they fall against the main curve of the hull.

The inboard edge of the locker needs a couple of rope tidies fitting for the heavy electrical shore power cables. A couple of backing pads should sort this.

That uses the bottom and all four sides. Will stop there for a bit, and see if it works in practice! If there's still some usable space left over, I'm going to try to fit shelves :)

I'm going to look for a spot for a wedge-shaped step. Having been in there, it's not easy getting out again!

Throughout all of this, am going to try to work out the implications of a "knock down". The boat is very much self-righting. I just don't want carnage in the lockers if it happens!

Might have to take a few piccies....before....fitted....stowed.

Mike

Locker emptied, looking down and aft. Gas locker is the odd shaped "box":

post-205-0-45314700-1463054870_thumb.jpg

Mike just a quick note about LPG... I completely agree Camping Gaz is a ridiculous price, both for bottles and refills, compared with Calor. In fact the prices just went up even more this week, so a 907 will likely be £33-34 per fill from now on.

But do bear in mind Calor is Uk only, whereas CGaz is available across Europe. So if you'll use more than 9kg for an extended cruising trip, stick that old regulator and bottle in the shed for a while... you may yet use it.

Duncan

Rob, alas the two lockers are linked underneath, where the hydraulic autohelm, Eberspacher warm air diesel heater, and steering cables all live. Buckets on the side decks will have to do for livebait. I'm currently wondering if watertight doors might be needed in the event of a knockdown, to protect that key central area.

Adam, I'll try to take the first piccies on Sunday.

Duncan, agree about availability abroad. Will keep the old regulator on board for our longer travels.

Shaped and undercoated backing pads of marine ply are now starting to be bonded in.

George and I stripped down one of the 46 to one, 2-speed winches at the weekend. If you can generate 100lb say of pull using one arm, then this gears it up to 4600lb, or around 2 tonne. The huge genoa generates loads higher than this, which is my excuse for not getting the sail in flat at times. Hard to work out the horse power it could generate, but if 56hp will push 11 tons at 7 knots, and the sail could double that speed theoretically even going through "hull speed" and starting to rise on the plane, then it could generate 100 bhp or more.

The grease had gone hard and nasty, and after cleaning all parts in a paraffin bath, I had an embarrassing amount of metal filings in the bottom. Think it's been caught just in time. Three more to do :(

Mike

post-205-0-60810000-1463055462_thumb.jpg

Antifouled with Carol on Saturday morning (5 litres, one coat!), then did the next stage in the port locker overhaul in the afternoon. Used Nomorenails to bond 10 short lengths of 40mm plastic drainpipe vertically at the deepest point. Ideal for boat hook storage etc. Hope the rods will store here too. The stainless chap at Cobb's, Andy Brown, made up some stainless rails and top and bottom end fittings for me. I fixed the first two rails in place, screwing fittings onto the backing pads, and then clamping the other half of the fitting on top. One rail to go. Difficult work, as I don't really fit in the locker. Can see why the previous owner didn't bother.

Also fitted a 6mm stainless swivel to the strong point in the anchor locker. If I have twisted anchor rope in future, I'll just "chase" the twists back to remove them all,without disconnecting everything.

Fitted a couple of stainless eyes inside the main anchor locker lid on the backing pads I fitted last week, and fitted a length of shock cord, so I can keep the lid up when working there. Peace of mind, and another little step forwards in operational efficiency.

Sunday morning I was lecturing at the RNLI College again, and in the afternoon, I removed the final traces of old lettering and glue on the transom (stanley knife blade, acetone, polish) which took about 3 hours. Then spent the next hour fighting with the vinyl name I'd collected from Elite Signs in Hamworthy. Astonishingly, it appears to be almost straight, roughly in the right place, and I think the bubbles all got eliminated :)  Had to do all of this dangling over the back, leaning over, as the extending ladder isn't long enough to let me reach.

Still planning to launch on Friday, but none of the seacocks have yet been replaced, and the Plotter/Side Scan and AIS need to be fitted.

I've got that port locker to complete, 3 more winches to service, a bunch of ropes to organise, polishing to start (!), then prepare permanent docklines to keep Feisty secure on the pontoon. Think it's going to be a busy week!

Saturday should see the decks swabbed, new/overhauled sails hoisted, the interior straightened, and most of the remaining key jobs finished.

Sea trials Sunday, if we can keep on track!

Mike

I went on board late yesterday afternoon to see how work is progressing.Electronics were completed.

The shipwright was still sorting seacocks. His report made me go white with shock.

One of the seacocks didn't need removing, it fell apart as he was working on it. If that had come off at sea, I'd have had an inch hole in the boat, and we'd have taken on water rapidly, potentially losing the boat.

We delivered the yacht back from Lymington on 6th March, with essential safety kit, and I included a set of tapered wooden bungs, which I kept accessible. The delivery trip was without incident, but I refused to use the boat again until it was lifted ashore, as I was uncomfortable with the whole setup. It was frustrating having it at Cobb's but not fishing!

The survey recommendations included "consider replacing all seacocks", and I'm so glad I heeded that advice.

Can I suggest to any members replacing their boat:

- get a survey done by a qualified surveyor

- follow recommendations

Mike

Well, we launched today.

Neal offered assistance, which I gratefully accepted, and when he arrived, I was sat at the sharp end splicing an 8-plait 18mm anchorplait rope directly to the 10mm anchor chain. I'd spent the week practicing, by making up docklines with some octoplait stuff I inherited with the boat., which proved useful! 

The travel hoist arrived, I waved the antifoul roller over the bits that needed attention, including the new bronze skin fittings for the seacocks, and the boat was cautiously lowered in.

I checked each of the new seacocks, one by one, and next to one of them was a lovely little fountain! The old hose had ruptured in putting it onto the new seacock. It was easy to close the seacock, but the pipe had filled with water, and the fountain continued for several minutes! I called the shipwright on my mobile, and he came straight over. He asked us to move to the fuel berth, in case of major issues or a catastrophic leak, when we would be fairly close to the slings and the hoist again. He then tried trimming the hose, and re-attaching it, but it wasn't to be, and he had to buy new hosing and fittings from the chandlers. It's hard to believe, but it was built with hose of one size, that had been bodged onto a smaller fitting at the galley sink. He had to pick up two sizes of hose, plus an adaptor, to ensure it was all connected securely. Well, within an hour we were on our way again :)

By the time we got to the berth, the wind had picked up, and caught the bows again and again, blowing us off. We ended up with the stern connected, but bows straddling the double empty berth. What a mess. Fortunately, I managed to get off, and walk the warps round, and sweat the boat across to moor up safely. I'll polish out the marks on the bows later  :rolleyes:

Thanks again Neal, it would have been close to impossible solo!

The afternoon was spent completing splicing up the anchor, and permanent docklines, which I shackled in place by the end of the day. There was just one issue I couldn't sort - the sails weren't ready. Oh well, looks like a fairly grim weekend anyway, which gives me time to swab the decks, start the polishing, get the interior straight, and complete all those little jobs I didn't get around to!

Mike

PS The side scan sonar threatens to be utterly awesome! Serious new technology!

There had to be a final twist....I just couldn't predict what it was going to be  :)

Saturday we did the renaming bit. Carol at the sharp end with a bottle of bubbles and making sure the nautical gods of old (Poseidon / Neptune) were suitably impressed, despite the persistent rain, and we thought we had it sussed. But technically, we were a little bit late with the traditional offering.....

When it came time to go home, Carol found the previously damp bilges were wet once again, and once more we baled them out. Strange, cos none of the new seacocks were leaking by now.

Today we went down to finally sort the mooring arrangements and improve our state of readiness, and again, the bilges were wet.

In a flash of belated inspiration I remembered I hadn't checked the new transducer fitting  :o

Lifting more panels showed a shallow pool of water, undoubtedly Cobb's finest. A quick mop out session showed the new transducer seemed ok, but the through-hull impellor fitting for the speed through the water was dribbling merrily. It had the winter "blanking piece" fitted, and it seemed loose. I tried tightening it, but that didn't work, so I removed it, receiving the obligatory fountain, and quickly stuffed the impellor down instead, and took care not to cross-thread it this time.... :rolleyes:

Finally, the leak stopped, and while it took a bit longer to dry out the bilges, at least a quiet pontoon day proved to be a sensible decision.

Hopefully, that's it now, and we can plan to go to sea!

Mike

Have been working on final updates in evenings this week...

- Shock cord fitted to fishing anchor lid to keep it in place when deployed.

- Fishing anchor taken down and installed. Extra heavier chain this year. Hope the anchor is big enough!

- Old lifejacket webbing used to position/secure the liferaft in the locker, onto backing pads.

- Vinyl cushions for the cockpit are now supplied and fitted (see pic). Less of the numb bum syndrome on those long passages at 6-7 knots.

- AIS now programmed with the MMSI number.

- AIS MOB devices now programmed with the MMSI number, so the DSC Radio will go off in the event of MOB.

- SSR applied for (4 weeks apparently)

- Ofcom informed of transmitting vessel changes (name, owner, fixed DSC, handheld, radar, AIS, PLB) Dreadful website!

- CG66 NOT done. Website having issues apparently.

- Sprayhood fitted last night.

- Sails back today, to fit.

Finally we're winning! Sea trials, hopefully a bit of dangling, and then marina/berthing practice tomorrow :D

Mike

post-205-0-12747200-1464339527_thumb.jpg

I had a couple of companies give me estimates for cushions, and a firm at Ringwood seemed reasonable.

They do a lot of work for Sunseeker, and the quality seems to be there.

I'll give them a good airing this week, and if they prove to be as good as they appear, I'll share the company details.

Mike

Sea trials not yet complete after all.

Found a strong smell of diesel below this morning. Unscrewing and lifting the floor showed one of the fuel tanks leaking slowly but steadily, and many litres in the bilges.

Investigstions showed it was the fuel return pipe junction leaking, due to an oversize seal having beeen fitted, to what looked like a new pipe. The second fuel tank had an old hose and a spare seal the right size, so used that. I think the leak was a symptom, not a cause.

I think the second tank fuel return is blocked, so all of the return fuel was going to the already full first tank, causing the overflow.

I switched to using the over-full tank only, so that the level would gradually reduce. Did about 2 hours on it today, and got about 5 miles offshore, where we pumped bilges.

All seemed ok in further checks. Will replace that other hose this week, with fresh seals. Hope my guess is correct. Anyone have any other ideas?

Mike

One word of advice is be careful when returning fuel to different tanks than where it is being drawn from, some engines use the return fuel to cool fuel system, thus returning large volumes of fuel.

Depending on engine types, I have had it where people have emptied tanks and run out of fuel from one tank, but either filled another or the bilges all on returned fuel.

Can be a problem when there are lots of valves that can be played with!

Sounds like you may have it covered with a numpty repair job/ bodge being the problem!

All looking good Mike great effort team Fox, good luck with the trials and boat going forward.

You are doing a grand job Mike and Carol on what obviously has been a somewhat neglected / bodged up boat. Just wondering how many more things you will find.

The first year I had Tigerfish it was problem after problem, the boat had been hardy used for a few years, it was a concern. Diane was wondering what I'd bought, since then it's been fine.

My boat has an internal bilge hand pump that empties the contents into a large plastic bottle so all maner of yucky stuff can be dealt with on land, very handy. If I had another boat without it I'd fit one.

Slept on board for the first time last night. All was well until my early morning "short walk" to use the loo. It had been used a couple of times already, so had no real worries. The bowl emptied nicely, but when I tried to flush, no more water came out :o

I have a set of adaptors, and a foot pump for the inflatable, so first job was to disconnect the raw water inlet, and try to pump air out through the seacock. The problem was immediately clear, a compressed column of seaweed jammed in the pipe. That was removed successfully, air pumped down then blew bubbles with gusto, so I reassembled. Still no water... :(

I next tried the pipe between the Jabsco pump and the bowl. That was clear, so realisation dawned that I had to strip down the entire pump....

6 simple screws, lift off the top, and even more weed in various states of decomposition. I removed all I could find, then re-assembled, and tried again. Even tried priming the pump with a kettle full of water :(

Five further strip-downs later, each producing more weed, resulted in it finally working, and when it did, more weed flooded the bowl, but it eventually cleared :D

I hope everyone else had a better Bank Holiday morning than us :)