Frisky/Feisty Fox

Mike Fox

Hi Mike,

Only met you at the club meeting re life jacket saftey check, your doing a cracking job on the new boat and glad to hear you have cleared the seaweed at last, my advice is to supply loo paper to the crew!

It looks a wonderful boat look forward to seeing her finished!!!!

Think that's two more jobs out of the way.

There was a diverter switch for the diesel fuel return. I was taking fuel from one, and returning excess to the other, eventually over-filling it and rupturing the incorrectly sized seal. Shame the label on the diverter switch had been totally obscured by the soundproofing material,  was in French, was almost illegible with age. and wasn't mentioned by the previous owner.... Still 'tis sorted , and clearly labelled in English now, so next time I screw up, I won't spend hours lifting floorboards, chasing pipes back to tanks, and disconnecting fuel return lines with the engine running while shouting to Carol "now try the lever the other way!". :D

Left the batteries off charge for a couple of days. 12.88v for the domestic bank, and starter battery was 12.81. My concerns at them not holding a charge are over, but I might have a slight voltage drop getting to the new plotter which was protesting. Now turned down the alarm threshold, and life has gone back to being quiet. Shocked to discover the alternator is an 80Ah beastie. At least it should recover any lost charge quickly :)

Mike

post-205-0-53628700-1464793954_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike

Interesting about the voltage drop as I did a check on Allan's boat soon after he had it as the low battery alarm on the plotter kept coming on. Allan had a replacement battery installed under warranty and I discovered that there was almost 1volt drop between the battery terminals and the plotter itself.

Not so bad once you know.

If you need to check the capacity of the batteries let me know as I have an electronic tester for 12v batteries, I use this a lot in my business as many people don't understand that voltage does not mean capacity!

Dave

Finished the first stage of the port locker improvements while away.

The rear stainless pole holds mooring lines (bow x 2,springs x 2, stern) for marinas, two longer shore lines for rafting out, plus two 100' shore lines for emergencies. Plus a few other odd bits of rope.

The inward stainless pole secures boat hooks brushes etc at the deepest turn of the hull. Labelled ropes attached give quick access to tow rope, and anchor chain/warp.

Also on the inner edge are two coiled electrical cables (yellow and blue) on rope tidies

The top of the gas locker has a plastic tray for leads and handlines.

The third stainless pole is to provide quick access to fenders - just tie them on with a clove hitch.

Not shown were a selection of 8' two-piece rods, stowed made up in the centre of the locker.

Last piccie is as it was before.

post-205-0-28029200-1465142938_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-50481100-1465142958_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-27190600-1465142986_thumb.jpg