A crack at the blues 2014 pt.2

Rob

Well as mentioned in me species hunt list, we have managed a "Blue" on JoJo again this year.

With an unsuccessful attempt earlier in the year (too early really, but you need to take the opportunity when you can!!). Lack of maccy was probably the main issue in July.

So myself and Nick had waited patiently and picked early October. And we were planning to head west, very West but not quite the lizard!! ;)

Thursday we arrived and setup base camp (very camp as per my purple, butterfly covered tent borrowed from my kids!).

my3y6a2u.jpg

Thursday was stunning, sunny and no wind, but timing is everything and we didn't have it, Friday & Sat our fishing days were forecast windy, really windy!

We found a great slipway (which was free) and parking / trailer parking reasonable / secure and organised!!! (Poole could learn a lot!!)

We launched knowing to expect, there was a fresh f4>f5 blowing S/Sw and with the tide, it produced a big sea with some huge swells in amongst it.

We had quite a journey ahead and seemed to be the only ones mad enough to be out, except for some large cargo vessels!

We pushed on at 7 to 8knts, on and off the throttle constantly for an hours and a half, once the destination was reached the drift was not too bad. The rogue was deployed to keep us beem on and we bobbed about like a cork.

Groundbait/chum etc deployed and rods in. We had bought some "fresh" discounted macs from asda (un gutted) for emergency hook baits, we didn't need to. We picked up a constant stream of macs, ones and twos, and once the baits were deployed we hit shoals and had 6 at a time, these made up more chum.

4 hrs of slopping bout and a few false runs, thinking they were big mackerel attacking the baits. We turned to catching one of the 8 garfish that were following us as a pack! Shame we didn't throw the fly rods in!!!!

Then, a dropped run on the deepest and furthest rod! I wound it tit to find the bait looked fairly untouched, but put fresh on, some extra weight to the trace and trotted it back.

Now the term "screaming reels" is used a lot , that is what we had. Not a minute later and off it goes like a train!

I tighten the drag and we are "fish on", it went down, really far down, staying deep and hanging in the tide, with our wind assisted drift, we were moving quite a bit faster than the tide. This made brining the fish to the boat more difficult.

After 10 mins we saw colour, and she was a beauty, not big but great to see and well deserved.

She sat in the tide by the boat just holding station and then took one last run, straight down, awesome.

We thought we could get her onboard, and so we did, Nick at the bitey end and me at the flappy one. Gently we lifted her in, for unhooking (nicely exposed circle hook of ease of removal), a measure and a photo or two.

She was slender and long, as they all are. Touching just over 6ft, but lean and mean!!!

Estimated weight calculates at about 55lb, not big by any imagination but hard earnt in unfavourable conditions.

We fished for another hour with nothing, then headed back in to reach land by dark, we had a hour (just made it with a following sea). Then up the harbour in the dark and to the slip.

Great day, shattered, enthusiastic, but with the forecast of f8 today, even though over the land with little fetch, after yesterday that didn't sound appealing!!!

Next year!

Rob

agypu3u6.jpg

rubugase.jpg

eqejyda9.jpg