Alderney 2013

Adam F

There are some of us who will be with you every step of the way - not envious at all though.........................................

Stay safe and have a great time all of you - oh and make sure we have copious reports and pics.

See you out there my mate Sharky is now taking his Raider on his own so I'm going to buddy up with him plus his mate is taking his trophy from selsey so ill be with them

Safe journey to all see u later

I've stayed out of the thread for fear of jinxing it - I do hope that it all goes off well for everyone this year; forecast does look excellent!

I should be out Monday so I'll watch for returning boats, and listen in, although if there's S in th ewind I will probably be in the harbour!

look forward to reading the updates...

First day great conditions but slow for us on the wrecks over although we managed a dozen mackerel .

So mid afternoon went to the banks sw and first drift turbo to me but we got there late and from then on quiet although JV was there earlier than us and I believe managed 5.

Loads of launce and marks also a double shot of decent pollack on sabikis plus a garfish.

Today Saturday and its blowy some have ventured out and others have gone shopping at Marks

At the moment I'm just fishing of the boat in the harbour

Tough today. Wind W4-5 inc 6.

A few boats stayed in for the day a few ventured out. We went out on JV, struggled on the flatties but managed to squeak out a nice Tope before the tide got away. We then spent an enjoyable hour smashing 2-4lb pollack on spinning rods, we had about 30.

Then back into Braye for a rest... It's so tiring in that slop! Lunch was mixed Mediterranean salad with homemade bread and cured meats, washed down with a cold beer.

Up to Alderney Angling to see the lovely Fi and Mark and buy up some tackle essentials.

Off for diner now, big day tomorrow, winds are light so were going BIG!!

Were back! Epic trip!

Report and video/photos to follow when I've caught up with work and sorted fish and kit out......

it's possible I'm missing something, as I'm not used to the new format, but are there any reports on this trip posted yet?

it's possible I'm missing something, as I'm not used to the new format, but are there any reports on this trip posted yet?

No Duncan, amazingly no reports and no pictures yet??

I was there, pretty flat uneventful run over there, catching up with the pack on wrecks till about 5 miles from Alderney when we managed to pick up a net round the prop. Rest of Friday was spent ashore. Saturday was rough so we got the boat lifted out etc then headed out for an hour or so to see if there were any mackerel (there weren't :-( ). Sunday was a beautiful day and almost everyone shot round to the shoal banks (If thats how its spellled). Lots of boats, not that much radio excitement although one very unexpected species was caught by a club member (I'm sure he'll report soon). We on Serenity had a couple of Turbot and a mackerel. Monday trip home, weather and conditions were perfect to about half way when we hit a bank of fog that seemed to last an eternity. Wreck hopping back we managed a couple of pollock. Unfortunately I was pretty grotty on the way home so wasn't really "feeling" it and was very pleased to see home. 

Leaving Poole early Friday 

alderney005_zpsf6c9e8ce.jpg

Anya mid channel 

alderney025_zps60f542ad.jpg

Guess who in Braye harbour friday evening

alderney043_zpsb5f2bb5a.jpg

Freeboys playing in our wake 

alderney102_zpsd83c5a2c.jpg

alderney105_zpsaa8a6832.jpg

Target species at last :-) 

alderney145_zps1a88b3a9.jpg

A couple of pics in the gallery at the top.As Graham said day one was for us a mackerel hunt over the wrecks where we managed 12 to 15, then straight over to the casquets first drift a turbo for me only small so went back.Lots of launce and more mackerel some pollack and a garfish.Then into harbour after a smooth crossing and a 115 miles covered and topped up on fuel and beer.

Saturday was a bit blowy but we ventured out at lunchtime to the south banks where the tide was running at 3.5knts so we drifted with the anchor down with the trip cut.Numerous drifts without a take we headed back in with an anchor that now looked like a stainless one with a chain to match.

Sunday had a perfect forecast so a plan was hatched.......leave harbour at 7...... So no breakfast.....out with Alfresco and JV to look for Tope.We arrived hooks down but it was obvious pretty quickly perhaps we should of been there at 6,so JV moved to a less tidal run area and Alfresco had just recovered their anchor when they got some discarded rope around the prop.JV to the rescue as I still had my anchor down.Then we went back to harbour so Dan could work his magic.....I bet it was a French piece of rope!!!

We then went out to the Schole bank where again first drop I had a turbot,it was cracking weather and it was just nice to be on the water and chill so on Wishin Too the rods stayed in the rod rests most of the day.Later in the day I headed of o the nannels for some great pollack sport then the last spot we returned to speedy for another go at the tope with Alfresco but just bullhuss.We pulled the hook at 8pm and headed in with a glorious sunset behind us and a near 14hr day.

Monday the return journey was another perfect day and some great wreck fishing,Wishin Too had pollack to 12lb,cod to 16.8lb and tubs to 4lb.I have to admit I enjoyed the wrecking the most as I do like to have my string pulled

Thanks to all who helped me break my Alderney cherry :-)))

Nigel