8) Dean - AWOL

9) Dave- Wight Magic

10) John W - Rosie One

11) Allan Green- Kind of Magic

12} Charlie Alfresco

13) Sam Alfresco

14) Graham Alfresco

15] Will TBC Alfresco

Frisky Fox and crew will NOT be fishing this comp, yet again.

I can't help but think that the club constitution had it right with Objective 4.1 "To promote the sport of Recreational Sea Angling from small boats in Poole Bay and adjacent waters".

If the competition rules had a clause such as "no more than 6 miles offshore from the Dorset and Hampshire coastline, within the Eastern and Western limits of Club Waters", then I might reconsider.

This would then put the 16 and 17 foot boats of the club on a level playing field with the offshore-capable boats, and would result in a much more "inclusive" competion, and might even attract a wider number of entrants.

Funnily enough, this would then also go a long way to meet the club's Objective 4.2 "To promote and enhance safe practices in small boats."

Just my personal views, but sorry folks, we will not be joining in this one, and that's my honest reason why.

Mike

Mike,

I disagree about.........numbers taking part....and likelihood of winning.

I suspect that most of those signed in so far are those hoping to go to Alderney... because that's a fishing trip in their calendar and they'll be doing more fishing than normal !

As Adam has said previously, the chances of catching a winning fish are much more likely over here, with inshore species .....red gurnard and some of the rays are much likely to be 100 % than the flatties, pollack, bass or cod we will be targetting.

When the weather forecasts give a fishing weekend, I'm sure plenty more will add their names; sorry you can't make it.

Alun.

Although I am hoping to get over to Alderney Mike, I have had my 3 best fish (so far) very close inshore. A 13lB 8oz Pollock just off the Needles, a 9 1/2lB Bass INSIDE Poole Harbour and a 3lB 9oz Bream just off Ballard. Of thise I think the Bream was the best specimen.

I will be entering the comp, but more to add to the winnings rather than in the hope of winning it myself.

Interesting reaction to this comp.

Personaly I use it as the ideal excuse to get away for 3 days and fish non-stop, as I have done for the past 4 years. If I really wanted to win the comp I'd stay inshore and fish for bream or congers - honestly!

My personal tip would be to anchor the back of xchurch ledge in 50' water during the hours of darkness for a 100% eel - not hard to achieve, even in a 16' longliner.

For those of you who have 16/17' boats why do you feel disadvantaged against the bigger craft? Deeper water doesnt mean bigger fish!

Mike - take a look back at previous years 2nd trips to Alderney over the 48hr comp - most of us dont even make 50% of specimen.

The clubs constitution relates to small boats in club waters - this is boats under 30' from St Cats to Portland and as far South as you wish. This comp still complies with this?

Mike - Why not enter the comp and prove a point?

This is very odd too spend hundreds of pounds on fuel to fish a 3 day comp on fishing grounds that will not produce a winning fish i always wanted to fish Alderney too catch big bass , tope and turbos think i will stay at home and save my money

graham

I was rather hoping to catch something a bit bigger too Graham unsure.gif but the point Adam is making is that if I catch a 40LB Tope and a 12LB Turbot on the other side of the channel, it wont come close to beating a 3 1/2 Bream just outside the harbour (which I did about 4 or 5 weeks ago).

I was rather hoping to catch something a bit bigger too Graham unsure.gif but the point Adam is making is that if I catch a 40LB Tope and a 12LB Turbot on the other side of the channel, it wont come close to beating a 3 1/2 Bream just outside the harbour (which I did about 4 or 5 weeks ago).

Bang on.

I go to Alderney 'cos I love the location and the fishing is "different" from our side of the channel. Not because I am going to bag up on 100% specimens as I know that is unlikely.

There is a chance that a Tope of 60lb will be caught and could win. But in all the time all of us have been fishing for Tope in Alderney none of us have done it.

Likewise with Turbot or Bass, but the BIG specimens are very few and far between.

It just so happens that the 48 hour comp is booked over this set of tides, the same ones chosen for some of us to head to the islands again. It certainly isn't planned that way.

If I was determined to win I would choose Bream or Conger as my target species.

I am fishing the comp simply because I am fishing that weekend anyway, no other reason.

Big and fast can produce a winner, but that is more likely down to good skippering and angling skills than simply being big and fast.

The same good skipepring and angling skills can be just as likely to land a leviathon for it's species a mile or so offshore.

I don't care where anyone goes to fish the comp as long as they are safe doing it but i can not seen why theses across the channel trips are now being treated as mundane fishing because when i do go their to fish myself i hope to catch fish that i rarely get out of poole and of a good size by the way i am raceing hamlton next week in a gocart i think he's worried

graham

Edited by gjb

i can not seen why theses across the channel trips are now being treated as mundane fishing

Definitely not mundane at all Graham.

The guys that go, go because they have the capability to do so for what is a beautiful change of venue.

The fishing is good, but it isn't necessarily spectacular and you do have to work hard for each one most of the time. It's about much more than the fishing alone though and that is why i personally love to go.

The clubs constitution relates to small boats in club waters - this is boats under 30' from St Cats to Portland and as far South as you wish ...

Not being a "competition" type (rubbish angler and boat mostly out of club waters at present) I will not be entering the competition, however, some pertinent points raised by Mike.

On joining the club I was surprised to learn that the fishing area extended across to France and felt this was a bit at odds with a "local" fishing club for "small" boats. On consideration it does provide a finite southern limit which avoids any "misunderstanding" over mileage offshore or latitude definitions, also to date it does not seem to have provided any significant competition benefit or safety issues. Should this change then some classification/division of catch area and boat may be necessary. For the record, I have only fished the C.I.s once and with more dismal results than usual.

Perhaps a club night "session" covering fishing areas v. expected catch v. boat/skipper capability.

BTW I assume the club definition of a small boat has not changed, otherwise what little I do catch from my boat will not qualify:

3.0 Definition

3.1 For the purpose of P.B.S.B.A.C. a small boat shall not exceed 35 foot in length.

Alan.

I have not been on the site for a couple of days, due to family commitments and was interested to read how this thread has gone in that period.

IMHO this is one of the best comps of the year, but then again the boys and I have always liked specimen fishing more than scratching.

We book this one into the family diary early and Wendy knows how much we enjoy it so accepts it as a fishing weekend. I then look to ensure I do not have to work as well.

We have not always had the boat to chase miles offshore but have always felt that with planning and preperation we could compete, even when the boys were small we tried our hardest and enjoyed ourselves.

Their first ever night trip coincided with small tides and the 48 hr comp.

In a nutshell I do not believe that smaller boats can not compete any more than I think that the winning fish can only be caught offshore. Maybe it is the thought that some of us will be putting the hours and effort in that puts others off.

We hope to go accross channel this year because we have good tides , a fishing pass and Sam has some time off from the Navy.

Because of that I wanted to have a look at french waters.

I would encourage all that are fishing that weekend to enter, but if you do not want too because of various reasons I respect that it is your choice.

Mike

Your boat has the distance capability, comfort and size to not really be classed as a small boat, so I presume that it is your speed or the fact that you fish from a yacht that holds you back.

I would have thought that an overnight at a shelltered anchorage would give you all a chance to be very competitive if you wished to be.

Trailered boats also could plan around the weather to fish productive areas and target species if they wished too. By trailing the boats to the extremes of Club Waters they can fish in areas that are a long steam away by sea.

As I say I try to respect the choices of others, I just wanted to put over my thoughts on this one, for the sake of newer Members.

Who may not know that this comp has been won several times by fish caught on inshore reefs.

You have a 48 hr period, pick the best tides times, weather windows etc and give it a go.

Be safe and make the most of an extended fishing pass like we do biggrin.gif .

Why should we now change the rules for one comp after 18 years of club history?

Why should any of the members activities that are in line with the clubs long standing rules be restricted as and when others feel (incorrectly) at a disadvantage?

Since the club was formed it's club waters have been from St Catherines in the east to The Bill of Portland to the west and as far south as you care to go. All it's competitions are and have always been based on these limits. The only real limit is each and every skippers personal ability or that of his craft.

If your fish are caught within the defined area above they count for all our comps.

I believe that most if not all our 48 hour comps have been won by boats this side of the channel with the large majority of fish being caught close enough inshore for most if not all the club boats having the opportunity to win.

I can remember when I first joined this club owning a Hardy fishing 17. Even then club boats went to Alderney fairly regularly and fished mid channel frequently. I entered all the comps including the 48 hour and can remember at the time thinking I wish I could go over to Alderney or fish mid channel but it wasn't to win the comps it was just to take part in the adventures.

Inshore offshore fish it or don't fish it's your choice. Either way is fine so long as we all have regard for the rules that have been in place for 18+ years

Martin

I believe Dave and I were the first to fish the 48hr 'over there' (well in the time I've been in the club) but then, as now, it was about the trip and nothing to do with winning.

If the conditions suit such a trip then the species options for winning certainly don't - mid-channel wreck congers, spur dogs, tope, bull huss, undulate and spotted rays, most wrasse and bream ....from Poole. Proabably a lucky brill being the best (only) chance over there.

I've fished it there 3 times (I think) and the reason has been the same as Charlie - it's a date booked into the diary (at home) in advance, with tide and timing to suit.

The only reason I have entered and paid my dosh in the past was to support the prize fund for those fishing 'seriously'.

It is, of course, everyone's right to decide what and when they want to do things; what I don't understand is why people seem to think there is anything worthy of making an issue about here.

It's a club of generally like minded individuals who enjoy angling from boats and it's based in Poole

Edited by duncan

Out of interest Ive just looked back through the records (to 2004) and every year either a Conger or Bream has won, and with only one execption they have all been this side of the Channel - mostly within range of a 16' boat.

Also interesting is that in 2005 we had 38 anglers fish the event, the numbers have declined since then each year, however this is a common theme of most club comps.

Perhaps a club night "session" covering fishing areas v. expected catch v. boat/skipper capability.

BTW I assume the club definition of a small boat has not changed, otherwise what little I do catch from my boat will not qualify:

3.0 Definition

3.1 For the purpose of P.B.S.B.A.C. a small boat shall not exceed 35 foot in length.

Alan.

That's a good idea and would certainly help those less experienced members and may even broaden their horizons.

3.0 Definition

Unfortunately for you that is still the rule Alan

Martin