48hr Comp - Book in here

Adam F

I remember this comp being won within the first few hours of the start on Friday night, 3 miles offshore . I think he spent about a fiver on fuel and could only fish that evening the whole weekend.

PJ

I remember that too Paul

especially as he was texting pictures from the slipway. biggrin.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

when we were building the boat in my Garden, Dan and I were generously loaned a boat by a Member biggrin.gif on the day that the engine was craned in.

We only had half a day, on a new boat with no secret marks in the plotter, but we happily took the opportunity to get afloat. biggrin.gif We eagerly entered the comp to support the event and even got amongst the prizes biggrin.gif

Just goes to show that you do not need to fish for 48 hrs or go out of the sight of land.

If we can not go offshore, we will adjust our aim, change tactics and try to fish as well as we can locally.

Looking forward to it as usual.

Charlie biggrin.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Adam F - JV

2) Alun J - JV

3) Paul F - JV

4) Tom B - Mrs Sea

5) Greg C - Mrs Sea

6) Terry B - Mrs Sea

7) Martin - AWOL

8) Dean - AWOL

9) Dave- Wight Magic

10) John W - Rosie One

11) Allan Green- Kind of Magic

12} Charlie Alfresco

13) Sam Alfresco

14) Graham Alfresco

15] Will TBC Alfresco

16, Alfie, Dream Drifter

17, Sally, Dream Drifter

1) Adam F - JV

2) Alun J - JV

3) Paul F - JV

4) Tom B - Mrs Sea

5) Greg C - Mrs Sea

6) Terry B - Mrs Sea

7) Martin - AWOL

8) Dean - AWOL

9) Dave- Wight Magic

10) John W - Rosie One

12} Charlie Alfresco

13) Sam Alfresco

14) Graham Alfresco

15] Will TBC Alfresco

16, Alfie, Dream Drifter

17, Sally, Dream Drifter

18)Nigel,Wishin(inshore) tongue.gif

BTW I assume the club definition of a small boat has not changed, otherwise what little I do catch from my boat will not qualify:

3.0 Definition

3.1 For the purpose of P.B.S.B.A.C. a small boat shall not exceed 35 foot in length.

Unfortunately for you that is still the rule Alan

Martin

Got me confudled now Martin blink.gif

Does that mean I am unfortunate because my boat is too long so any catches from onboard don't qualify, or is it because my boat is below the length limit therefore I have no excuse and need to catch/record some fish biggrin.gif

For the record Navy Blues is comfortably below the limit at 9.5m (31 ft) cool.gif

(A bit smaller than the other club galleon)

Getting tempted to enter the comp now if I can be certain of being in club waters long enough to get a line over the side ...

Edited by AHoy

1) Adam F - JV

2) Alun J - JV

3) Paul F - JV

4) Tom B - Mrs Sea

5) Greg C - Mrs Sea

6) Terry B - Mrs Sea

7) Martin - AWOL

8) Dean - AWOL

9) Dave- Wight Magic

10) John W - Rosie One

12} Charlie Alfresco

13) Sam Alfresco

14) Graham Alfresco

15] Will TBC Alfresco

16, Alfie, Dream Drifter

17, Sally, Dream Drifter

18)Nigel,Wishin(inshore)

19) Simon, Island Girl

BTW I assume the club definition of a small boat has not changed, otherwise what little I do catch from my boat will not qualify:

3.0 Definition

3.1 For the purpose of P.B.S.B.A.C. a small boat shall not exceed 35 foot in length.

Unfortunately for you that is still the rule Alan

Martin

Got me confudled now Martin blink.gif

Does that mean I am unfortunate because my boat is too long so any catches from onboard don't qualify, or is it because my boat is below the length limit therefore I have no excuse and need to catch/record some fish biggrin.gif

For the record Navy Blues is comfortably below the limit at 9.5m (31 ft) cool.gif

(A bit smaller than the other club galleon)

Getting tempted to enter the comp now if I can be certain of being in club waters long enough to get a line over the side ...

Apologies Alan I thought your new boat was larger than that

Martin

Apologies Alan I thought your new boat was larger than that

His wife thought that too! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

All remember, you need "crew" to be eligibale to fish. They do nto need to be club members, but you can't fish alone (Yaks is a different story I think).

Rob

All remember, you need "crew" to be eligibale to fish. They do nto need to be club members, but you can't fish alone (Yaks is a different story I think).

Rob

Good point are there any kayakers planning to fish this comp?

Best specimen comp easily winnable from within one of the harbours or just a short paddle from the shore!

Come on lads join in the comps, the rules were change to allow you to enter take advantage of that.

Martin

As a long standing member with a relatively short range boat and having won the 48 hour comp on a couple of occasions I don't know what all the fuss is about.

You pays your money and you take your choice. If you want to go to Alderney get a loan and buy a bigger boat!

I've always boated on a shoestring and admired the newer larger craft from a distance and sometimes by invitation at close quarters. I enjoy being at sea in whatever sized boat I am in.

As to catching specimen fish well Poole still takes some beating with undulate ray, black bream and huss as prime examples.

With all due respect I don't think Mike is in a good position to argue about range and capability as I understand he spends time in the summer touring the French coast in his boat a feat us small boat owners can only dream of. He could always set off for Alderney some days in advance!

When it comes to angling all I can say is that I still feel as excited now at the prospect of catching good fish every time I go out as I ever did whether it is from Poole or any other port.

Don't forget our sport is humbling and often the best fish are caught by novices or in a few feet of water. You should see the mullet near my mooring!

Tightlines

Petesnr

As point of interest, if you managed to catch a mullet or any other fish for that matter, from your mooring would it count in club comps?

I know it doesn't if you are on a pontoon or fixed structure for the boat species comp but what about other club comps?

Dave

huh.gif

Gentlemen,

This has blown out of all proportion, with many members of the committee and others planning to go to Alderney making comments on this thread.

If you re-read my original (unedited) post, my concern was for a level-playing field for the smaller boats in the club, not specifically myself, and to get a wider number of entrants.

I acknowledge that in previous years, this comp has been won by inshore boats, and chances do exist inshore.

However, the committee has previously asked why so few members join in our club competions. My personal beliefs seem to need to be expressed more clearly, so here goes (with head down for the next barrage of flak biggrin.gif ):

- There is the PERCEPTION that angling opportunities are better over the Alderney side;

- The fishing APPEARS to be so good over there, that the offshore boat owners that can get there think it's worth

Mike

With the ball on the other foot and as an owner of a boat that does go to Alderney.

1) I go there for a different fishing experience not because it is better

2) I go there because it is lovely and happens to be on the same date as a competition, not because it is on the same date as a competition

3) My favourite fishing is mid channel which is why I own a boat for that purpose

I know I don;t fish many comps, but I would be even more put off if I was restricted on fishing where I enjoyed. At the end of the day I only fish because it is fun.

Our club constitution is pretty clear as if what our comp rules are.

If I owned a Yak or SIB I would be happy fishing the comp targetting alternative species.

A 6lb Mullet will kick @rse and there are plenty in the harbour right now.

Turbot average a much larger size on the Shambles than the Schole.

A 40lb Tope is as common in Poole Bay than out of Braye

A 3lb Bream is no more of a dream out of Christchurch than out of Cherbourg

I did win the 48 hour a couple of years ago with a Conger caught mid channel, but that was an unusually good days fishing with wreck Conger in our stretch of water not being perceptibly any bigger than the reef conger that come out to play at night on the ledge. Many 50lb eels come off the ledge, none of us are catching many bigger than 50lb on the wrecks.

All you have a different styles of fishing. In terms of sheer size a 14lb Pollack looks big compared with a 3lb Bream, but it is no better a fish in competition terms.

I am sure that Committee Members posting on this thread are doing so as individuals and not as the Committee view.

But having been on the Committee for many years I know that the committee would love to find the secret why Club events across the board do not get better attendances. It has been a question at committee meetings for most of our 19 years as a Club.

We have tried so many changes to Competitions over the years but none seem to be 100%.

As I said earlier, I like this comp because of the scope it offers to all.

If I had a trailered boat I would be tempted to venture to the extremes of club waters East or West.

I have a boat capable of going offshore, because like Tom that is the fishing I like to do. If weather allows that is where we hope to be.

If I had a large slow boat, I would pick a spot, travel with the tide and give it a go, perhaps enjoying a long trip and staying overnight somewhere at anchor. Then let the tide push us home. [ As I used too for years on Great White]

The smallest boats and Kayaks can join in and enjoy being part of this comp, with a very good chance of success.

I wonder if dropping the entry fee and fishing just for the Club Trophies would make a differance.

I am sure it is not the cost that stops Members joining in, but it may be.

As Mike says the cost of an Alderney trip far outweighs any winnings, in fact so would an inshore trip if you chase around after a few species.

To make money out of the winnings you would probably need to use a kayak or a Yacht.

I also feel that limiting the comp to parts of the Club Waters for anything but safety reasons would put Members off.

who knows rolleyes.gif

Been away for a while and missed this rather interesting thread !

Completely disagree that swanning off to Alderney / mid channel or wherever is putting you at a bigger advantage in this competition. In fact the 48 Hr is the ideal one for the smaller boats to be able to win.

Did I ever mention ...... zzzz ........ I personally won this competition when half the committee went over to Alderney. Where was I ? - Fishing the one day I could ( Friday PM ) out of Christchurch.

4lb 7oz Bream - game over smile.gif

How long had I been sea fishing at the time - 3 yrs ish .....

Fuel Used

I am sure that Committee Members posting on this thread are doing so as individuals and not as the Committee view.

Absolutely Charlie

If anyone wants to change the club competition rules (or any other rules) they can discuss here, at a meeting and if they still want to proceed can put forward a proposal to the AGM

Committee are only in posts to do the members bidding, that said they are all entitled to a view although the chairman should not be to vociferous (is that a word or did I just make it up tongue.gif )

Martin

Back on topic

Any more entrants please copy and paste adding your name in a reply post

1) Adam F - JV

2) Alun J - JV

3) Paul F - JV

4) Tom B - Mrs Sea

5) Greg C - Mrs Sea

6) Terry B - Mrs Sea

7) Martin - AWOL

8) Dean - AWOL

9) Dave- Wight Magic

10) John W - Rosie One

12} Charlie Alfresco

13) Sam Alfresco

14) Graham Alfresco

15] Will TBC Alfresco

16, Alfie, Dream Drifter

17, Sally, Dream Drifter

18)Nigel,Wishin(inshore)

19) Simon, Island Girl

1) Adam F - JV

2) Alun J - JV

3) Paul F - JV

4) Tom B - Mrs Sea

5) Greg C - Mrs Sea

6) Terry B - Mrs Sea

7) Martin - AWOL

8) Dean - AWOL

9) Dave- Wight Magic

10) John W - Rosie One

12} Charlie Alfresco

13) Sam Alfresco

14) Graham Alfresco

15] Will TBC Alfresco

16, Alfie, Dream Drifter

17, Sally, Dream Drifter

18)Nigel,Wishin(inshore)

19) Simon, Island Girl

20) Colin, Boblin

21) Bobi, Boblin

1) Adam F - JV

2) Alun J - JV

3) Paul F - JV

4) Tom B - Mrs Sea

5) Greg C - Mrs Sea

6) Terry B - Mrs Sea

7) Martin - AWOL

8) Dean - AWOL

9) Dave- Wight Magic

10) John W - Rosie One

12} Charlie Alfresco

13) Sam Alfresco

14) Graham Alfresco

15] Will TBC Alfresco

16, Alfie, Dream Drifter

17, Sally, Dream Drifter

18)Nigel,Wishin(inshore)

19) Simon, Island Girl

20) Colin, Boblin

21) Bobi, Boblin

22) Tony Deavin - AWOL

1) Adam F - JV

2) Alun J - JV

3) Paul F - JV

4) Tom B - Mrs Sea

5) Greg C - Mrs Sea

6) Terry B - Mrs Sea

7) Martin - AWOL

8) Dean - AWOL

9) Dave- Wight Magic

10) John W - Rosie One

12} Charlie Alfresco

13) Sam Alfresco

14) Graham Alfresco

15] Will TBC Alfresco

16, Alfie, Dream Drifter

17, Sally, Dream Drifter

18)Nigel,Wishin(inshore)

19) Simon, Island Girl

20) Colin, Boblin

21) Bobi, Boblin

22) Tony Deavin - AWOL

23) Dave S - Crew - unknown boat as yet

1) Adam F - JV

2) Alun J - JV

3) Paul F - JV

4) Tom B - Mrs Sea

5) Greg C - Mrs Sea

6) Terry B - Mrs Sea

7) Martin - AWOL

8) Dean - AWOL

9) Dave- Wight Magic

10) John W - Rosie One

12} Charlie Alfresco

13) Sam Alfresco

14) Graham Alfresco

15] Will TBC Alfresco

16, Alfie, Dream Drifter

17, Sally, Dream Drifter

18)Nigel,Wishin(inshore)

19) Simon, Island Girl

20) Colin, Boblin

21) Bobi, Boblin

22) Tony Deavin - AWOL

23) Dave S - Crew - unknown boat as yet

24) Craig Abode

25) Jackie Abode

I know I do not fish any longer, but is it not an Angliing Club ?? which means just get your tackle out blink.gif !! and enjoy it wherever and whenever you can, I know I miss it. good luck to all close in way out or however far afield you may steam. rolleyes.gif