Beat ing the new year blues!

Adam F

Alderney dinner. Add yourself to the list and update or let me know. To confirm, it's booked for Friday 7th May at 19.30.

Mrs. Sea x 2

Awol x 3

Abode 2 x 2

Sweet Chariot x 4

Joint Venture x 3

Wight Magic x 4

Alfresco 4

Serenity x 2

Phaeton x 1 + ?

Yellow x 2

Quest 2 ?

Total confirmed so far, 27.

Should make a good party.

Terry.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting very close to seeing more than 1 weather site now

Who can resist checking them at every opportunity?

Mrs. Sea

Awol

Abode

Sweet Chariot

Joint Venture

Wight Magic

Alfresco

Serenity

Phaeton

Yellow

Quest

I will contact Mainbrayce and the harbour office after our get together on Monday, but if weather plays ball it looks like a good turnout again.

Can I ask who are taking dingies over?

I may yet borrow one just to reserve a mooring,

or ask someone taking one to do that for us on the Thursday, as we are usually last boat to arrive at Braye [anyone willing to do that for us, by leaving tender on a vacant buoy until we get there??]

Charlie

biggrin.gif

Charlie

With 11 boats going over I suspect we will be rafted two or three abreast anyway.

I think that Duncan and I may raft together as I have plans to steal (sorry borrow, share, bugger it "steal") his tender and that will obviously remain on "our" mooring in our absence.

We may also be joined by a couple of nutcases in Raider 18's at some point. The drums have been beating suggesting at least one is coming from the Solent direction and another one, maybe two from the Solent.

I've been picking the brains of one or two very well respected Alderney skippers and they have hinted that whilst the flatties are there, they could be tough so have plan B and plan C up your sleeves... We have for Quest II wink.gif

Tom

It is getting close - can hardly concerntrate at work now! Even my fathful Windguru is now showing Thurs..... looking breezly though! unsure.gif

I'll be staying onboard, and will be taking a small honda outboard over, but dont have a tender - will probably share and moor alongside Wight Magic again as we did last year (Dave - I'll PM you)

The banks are always tough.... but we have other plans - besides, there's alot more to the trip that the turbos... altough they are rather nice!

Even my fathful Windguru is now showing Thurs..... looking breezly though

I dare not look sad.gif ..............but will anyway smile.gif

will be taking a small honda outboard over, but dont have a tender

Who's back will you be strapping it to laugh.gif

there's alot more to the trip that the turbos...

Is there unsure.gif

tongue.gif Martin

Sorry to hijack the thread again for food but I include the sample menu the chef has put together for us. The interesting bit, fresh seafood, is subject to availabilty as it is all fresh on the day and depends on what has been caught.

The Harbour Lights Menu 7th May 2010

Starters

Homemade tomato and basil soup

Have a small dinghy, pump, etc if anyone would like to borrow it for your Alderney trip................ Two coils gone on my engine two weeks to come from the states mad.gif

Steve

(Southampton)

Argh Steve Sorry to hear that

Hope its not to expensive and more importantly hope it doesn't keep you from fishing for to long

Martin

Sorry to hijack the thread again for food but I include the sample menu the chef has put together for us. The interesting bit, fresh seafood, is subject to availabilty as it is all fresh on the day and depends on what has been caught.

Terry.

Terry do we have to choose now? hope not cause I'm bound to make the wrong decision after several glasses of white blink.gif

Martin

I agree - Poole side looks borderline, Alderney looks too windy at present. Saying that we dont get a full picture of Thurs to Sunday until the end of the weekend, so I'll just keep frustrated by checking the weather every hour until then!

I'm flexible enough to leave later - up to Friday and return Weds, so that will be plans b,c and d for me.

Also - every previous year we have been this coming weekend - wouldnt have gone this year! I'm sure Alun will be along soon with some PMA to cheer us up!

Edited by Adam F

Looking at Metcheck [not my favorite] it looks a no go at the moment sad.gifsad.gif

However we will not know until monday.

What time are we meeting at the pub to discuss? /drown our sorrows.

To be honest if its looking bad I would rather rearrange after a two week postponement but how does that effect accomadation for those staying ashore?

even this weekends weather is changing constantly.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Looking at Metcheck [not my favorite] it looks a no go at the moment sad.gifsad.gif

However we will not know until monday.

What time are we meeting at the pub to discuss? /drown our sorrows.

To be honest if its looking bad I would rather rearrange after a two week postponement but how does that effect accomadation for those staying ashore?

even this weekends weather is changing constantly.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Rearranging wise I know Mark at AA is fine, not sure about any others.

I reeeeeally hope not two weeks later, I'm on a rather dodgy stag weekend in an unknown country that weekend and would hate to miss the trip

Wouldnt even bother with metcheck. I'm using:

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/alderney

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=35647

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Who seem to broadly agree at the moment, that the wind will peak on Tues/Weds and then drop back but still been well into the teens over Thurs and Fri.

The best solution isnt to turn the computer on until Sun - it's enough to drive you mad!

The pub is 7pm at the Bakers Arms, but if the forecast stays this windy, then maybe best to postpone that too??

Edited by Adam F

Thanks Adam

I check those too and some others next week.

Re Monday

Unless its hard for those traveling, Quite happy to stick with it, Bakers Arms 1900.

I for one would probably not cancel as early as Monday, just in case it changes

Oli

If it does have to be postponed, I would have to go 2 weeks later due to tides/work

lets still hope to go as planned

Charlie biggrin.gif

as ever it's tough to predict -

the good news seems to be that there shouldn't be significant residual swell etc if and when things settle

also things do seem to head the right way through the latter part of next week

so, not for the first time, it's probably a timing issue; with faster being better...

however I have to say I'm resigned to a wind check this time round - we really have been fortunate for the last couple of years!

I realise that most people will be more inconvenienced than I will but marginal out, excellent over there then back works - marginal overall doesn't.

time will tell