What have I gone and done ??

Hooky

It has been a huge decision, it’s taken many months, Doombar is getting a brand new engine!

Getting the right deal, making sure this is going to be a case of picking up the keys and living the dream 🤔 

This year I decided that life really is to short , the thing that you can never buy is time, the next thing is your health.

I had thought about just giving up this private boat owning , I never got the time to get out, working for the NHS last year was bloody hard, I can’t see the situation is going to change this year.( unless I drastically reduce my work hours☹️)

A few years ago I had my eye on a new Warrior 175  fully rigged and ready, it seemed like a good idea.

Doombar is a Pilot 20 , it is the same as a Wilson Flyer, , I love this hull, so stable as a fishing platform, , she does slam, she is cosmetically not that good, .

Last season saw the poor old girl dirty, chipped, and pretty much abused, I ran her into rocks and mud etc etc but she did the job.

Holes bay Marine are the suppliers, Mariner 90 fully supplied with all the bits and a 5 year warranty ( the warranty thing was the thing that sealed the deal) along with finding a decent mechanic to service it ( Evinrude went bust and I lost all confidence in the servicing etc).

Im sticking with Cobbs for another year, they have been good to me last year so again.

Im believe it  will all be done in the next six weeks, I’m hoping Mariner 90 is as good as it’s reviews. ( Suzuki was a very close contender)

Yes, I’m exited, never been able to by anything new in 32 years of boating, , let’s see if I will actually get out to those mid channel wrecks , the Shambles, , etc etc

😁😁😁:smileys-fish-715930:

Good luck with the new Motor.

when I had an old Wilson Flyer 18 I too got fed up with an old dodgy engine. I bought a new 2 stroke 60HP Yamaha.

Boy the boat was so different afterwards, fast stable and with an engine that could be totally relied on. I had years of fun until I upsized.

The research took ages, the conclusion between the makes , performance, weight, etc , I made the decision this morning.

I feel there is very little between them , Honda brilliant, Yamaha ticked nearly all the boxes, Suzuki, mmmm , close inspection a a few doubts about corrosion on some components, it seemed every manufacturer had issues ( the vast majority of issues were caused by poor servicing and care) 

I had a very close look over a Gibbs 540 (moored on F ) it’s a demo boat with the Mariner fitted, the fixings ( even the control box ) seemed to a slightly better finish ? Who really knows what manufacturers do, they certainly supply engines with different stickers, .

Again it boiled down to IF it needed work/ servicing, no way could I wait for weeks on end to get that done, , and get it done properly the first time 

Ah I hear you say , best that cost a few quid , in reality I got a deal that I could not refuse, this does seem the best time of year to pull the pin, all businesses need every penny at this difficult time 

Second hand market for used is very strong ( anything boating wise) in fact I saw my new engine ( with 60 hours and a year older at a dealer for £ 650 more than my brand new one ....???? How the hell does this work 

I have been informed the supply for new engine’s is difficult, very few places have a new one ‘ off the shelf’, no matter what you see in the shop windows.

So the wait begins, , 😩

8 hours ago, Hooky said:

It has been a huge decision, it’s taken many months, Doombar is getting a brand new engine!

Getting the right deal, making sure this is going to be a case of picking up the keys and living the dream 🤔 

This year I decided that life really is to short , the thing that you can never buy is time, the next thing is your health.

I had thought about just giving up this private boat owning , I never got the time to get out, working for the NHS last year was bloody hard, I can’t see the situation is going to change this year.( unless I drastically reduce my work hours☹️)

A few years ago I had my eye on a new Warrior 175  fully rigged and ready, it seemed like a good idea.

Doombar is a Pilot 20 , it is the same as a Wilson Flyer, , I love this hull, so stable as a fishing platform, , she does slam, she is cosmetically not that good, .

Last season saw the poor old girl dirty, chipped, and pretty much abused, I ran her into rocks and mud etc etc but she did the job.

Holes bay Marine are the suppliers, Mariner 90 fully supplied with all the bits and a 5 year warranty ( the warranty thing was the thing that sealed the deal) along with finding a decent mechanic to service it ( Evinrude went bust and I lost all confidence in the servicing etc).

Im sticking with Cobbs for another year, they have been good to me last year so again.

Im believe it  will all be done in the next six weeks, I’m hoping Mariner 90 is as good as it’s reviews. ( Suzuki was a very close contender)

Yes, I’m exited, never been able to by anything new in 32 years of boating, , let’s see if I will actually get out to those mid channel wrecks , the Shambles, , etc etc

😁😁😁:smileys-fish-715930:

Nice of you to keep me informed mate 

16 hours ago, Hooky said:

The research took ages, the conclusion between the makes , performance, weight, etc , I made the decision this morning.

I feel there is very little between them , Honda brilliant, Yamaha ticked nearly all the boxes, Suzuki, mmmm , close inspection a a few doubts about corrosion on some components, it seemed every manufacturer had issues ( the vast majority of issues were caused by poor servicing and care) 

I had a very close look over a Gibbs 540 (moored on F ) it’s a demo boat with the Mariner fitted, the fixings ( even the control box ) seemed to a slightly better finish ? Who really knows what manufacturers do, they certainly supply engines with different stickers, .

Again it boiled down to IF it needed work/ servicing, no way could I wait for weeks on end to get that done, , and get it done properly the first time 

Ah I hear you say , best that cost a few quid , in reality I got a deal that I could not refuse, this does seem the best time of year to pull the pin, all businesses need every penny at this difficult time 

Second hand market for used is very strong ( anything boating wise) in fact I saw my new engine ( with 60 hours and a year older at a dealer for £ 650 more than my brand new one ....???? How the hell does this work 

I have been informed the supply for new engine’s is difficult, very few places have a new one ‘ off the shelf’, no matter what you see in the shop windows.

So the wait begins, , 😩

if it provides and comfort, my last boat had a 1992 Mariner 2 stroke. the power trim worked like a treat up until the day i sold it. Was a bit slow to start up from cold, but once it was warm it never missed a beat, or let me down. But maybe that was the prayers working their magic.

My 2001 first gen Mariner 115hp efi is still going strong although it has needed some expensive tlc over the last couple of years including a new high pressure fuel pump and regulator and a new trim motor.

I try and keep the ol girl well serviced (as well as the motor) and she pushes my boat along at a respectable speed.(the motor not the ol girl)

Holes Bay Marine previously supplied the motor to the previous owner of Reflections 2 and have carried out all the maintenance and servicing  on it.

It's a great motor and is performing better than ever.

Your new motor will have all the design upgrades and should last longer than mine which is in its 20th year and still going strong.

Enjoy it you will not be disappointed.

Peteg

• 3 weeks later...

Engine has arrived 👍, only slight issue is clocks, gauges have not.

Purbeck Marine has informed me that many customers are still awaiting parts (Barrus are the importers) so still delaying due to customs paperwork issues in France 😩

Some other good news ,Gummidge has also decided to  take the plunge ( he can start a new thread 😊)

The biggest 👍once again goes to Mike Hall for lending me his spare engine for the last year, not only that but fitted pedestal seats, fixed the hull, anti fouled etc etc .

When I bought Doombar I always had a plan to be a working project, things were on track until the EMM died on the e-tec, , would you(me) spend over £2000. On a new EMM ?

No was the answer, I did send it off to a company in the Netherlands who sorted it out for £500 , next problem was Evinrude, , very little ( ie none) would be able to service it, etc, so I totally lost confidence 

I don’t want think about how much time and effort let alone aggravation that’s seen 

me in despare, all I wanted was ease,,put the key in, off we go home, if it went wrong I wanted someone to fix it ( without having to wait 8 weeks) I get, it seemed not too much to expect 🤔

Hulls are relatively cheap, good engines are bloody expensive but looked after properly will 🤔 last many years 

The only thing you can’t but is time itself so 😃 pictures will follow of shiny things that make me smile 😊 

It’s all down to research, Doombar is a bit of a lump ! Hence the CT , it’s the ratio on the gearbox.

The idea is deliver a higher torque to the propeller at lower revs, also ( the gearbox and case) is the same as the 150, this has a far lower profile to reduce drag to get her on the plane far quicker, this also allows a bigger propeller choice.

Im going for a lower top speed , better fuel consumption..

Mike Hall has also been down to give the hull a check over, I new she had been taking in water under the deck, some minor holes and a 4 inch crack so that will also need attention ( old damage from a trailer) 

It never ends, 😏, good grief.

2 minutes ago, Tiddler said:

Good luck Hooky.  Hope all goes well.

Soon be summer again ! :smileys-fish-777679:

Yes Jimbo, I have been trip planning, all those marks have been ‘pinned’ , summer wrecking for unicorns, endless YouTube sessions on slow jigging, underwater footage etc.

I often think and ask myself do others torture themselves in the same way?.. all for the sake of a few fish 🤔