Shirt sleeves, sunshine, spur-dogs, saturday ,sunday

Colin-58

This was the plan of course clubmates looking at the long range forecast two weeks ago, the wind prediction then was sat wind 2to 4 m p h and sunday  4 to 6 m p h progressively building quite rapidly through the day, so plan "A" was deep fishing targeting   Spur-dogs , on first day and harbour fishing second if sea was not looking safe enough to venture out to far. Well as the days went by the weather window kept coming forward and changing , mainly due to the strength of the jet stream i expect. Well as many of you now know it settled out to be Wed/Thurs .For me that worked out well to then attend the club meeting Tuesday evening, albeit late i managed to get there for the N. C. I. talk,  which was well worth hearing,  well done for organizing that Tony .                                                                                              So dropped anchor about 10 miles past old Harry, wed morning firstly spending a while on 50 banks,   my days fishing was great , my p b Bull-huss weighed in at 8 lbs  4  ozs. picture taken with rolled up shirt sleves  in the sunshine (the 5th Feb) unbelievable calm weather, the sea was like a lake! 5 whiting were caught one good keeper, some pounting,  6 doggies,  3 congers, biggest Undulate ray was weighed at 10 lbs 4 ozs. the heaviest Blonde at 12 lbs 2 ozs.  my first( and huge) Spider crab came up much to my surprise, And Spurs, well, all caught on the mark i found out deep,  the total caught was five, we fished one and half hours either side of slack water,we caught  2 before one on slack and 2 after. my biggest was a p b for me as i have not caught any before. it weighed in at 15 lbs 1 oz.  we did drift a while for bass with lures but no takers.   Apart from that a cracking day in every way!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 And the Sunday that turned into Thursday,   well the wind was predicted to build through the day , we visited 50 banks to start, with the intention of retreating to harbour for the finish. no record breakers on banks but the list caught included  Dogs, Blonde Ray, Congers, quantity of Whiting, including 6 real good keepers, so in for the Flounder flogging finale e for us it was , about one hour before dark.we put 4 rods out with   worms the size of snakes on them!   Well that accounted for 2 really nice fish, the biggest 4 or 5 lbs,   But,  close inspection and not even needing to check in the new species book ( Thanks again for that Brian) it looked long and silvery full of roe like a Bass and they were duly returned, hopefully  to reproduce for the benefit of us all in the future.                                                                     Hope you have all enjoyed this report,  the weather i know has been atrocious today, your wind worse than mine i believe. i have had some tree damage on the farm , including one tree falling across the A422 but thankfully on accident or injury over it, just the road blocked for a little while.                               Best of luck to you all, and try and post when you get out again, iam told people really enjoy that isn"t that right Stuie?                                              Farmer  Colin.

Unlike our Thursday Martin - a total blank. Too rough on the swash so into the harbour and moored off Hamworthy pier for a restful lunch - but sadly the fish didn't like our ragworms. Still - better than sitting at home - a good work out for the serviced engine. Forgot to mention the most welcome cup of hot coffee at Cobbs after fuelling up... Thanks Ken for your company.

Hi  Charlie,  iam in the process of uploading catch reports  "AND   PHOTOS"  got a few hic-ups, but with Martins help, hope to succeed,                             Life is a learning curve!  ,  I didn"t know anything when i was born but have been learning ever since!                                                                                                                                    Colin