Anchor and chain

billy2shots

Had my Boat approaching 2 years now and the inevitable happened on Sunday. Fishing the Patch and was well and truly dug in and had to cut the rode. 

Any recomodations on where to pick up a 6 or 7.5kg Bruce with 8-10m of chain? I get a fair bit from Force 4 but it's not the cheapest place in the world. 

I dissagree on the length of chain thing Tony, i feel it is more about the weight of the chain. 20ft of 8mm weighs c.8.4kg and 20ft of 12mm is c.20.4kg.

So i think balance the weight of chain to anchor is needed, so 5kg anchor with 7.5kg chain is spot on for lifting with alderney ring.

R

But that is not the main job of the chain Rob.  The main job is to weight the shank of the anchor so the angle between the anchor and the boat is shallower therbye assisting the anchor to get a grip.  The bigger the boat you have the more important this is.  A Longer/heavier piece of chain also helps reduce snatch. The secondary job is to act as a counterbalance in the Alderney set up.

PBSBAC should write a booklet on the pros and cons of anchoring, this our most discussed subject, every year it comes up. Especially when you have just lost your trusty anchor.

Perhaps we could have a refer to page on the site for FAQ and answers, it would make great reading as well as constructive information for our new members.

Having had both types of anchors, I prefer the delta type on the ground I anchor on mostly. The key to most stuck anchor retrievals is to make sure you connect your chain to the base of the anchor and cable tie or trip the chain to come loose under strain to the shank eyelet.

If you do not trip your anchor you chances of recovery will be reduced.

Also when anchoring over rocky ground, lift your anchor at the slack tide, have a drift for twenty minutes the re anchor your mark, this reduces the chance of the chain becoming entangled a round the rocks which is the worst way to get stuck in.

2 minutes ago, DPD said:

If using a windlass, when ordering chain &rope the gypsy guide must be used. 

Took the windlass apart and found the gypsy size. 

Boat is 8m. 

Bought 10m of 8mm galvanised chain. 7.5kg Bruce pattern anchor. I will attach to my 80m rope rode. 

Billy for a 8mtr boat I would definitely have gone 10kg, i have a 10kg on my 6.95mtr. They will exchange if you change your mind. It will probably be ok in shallow inshore depths but not for 100ft off shore anchoring.

I think your over egging your anchor Mal. My 6.6m uses a 5kg Bruce, 15m 6mm chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that is not the main job of the chain Rob.  The main job is to weight the shank of the anchor so the angle between the anchor and the boat is shallower therbye assisting the anchor to get a grip.  The bigger the boat you have the more important this is.  A Longer/heavier piece of chain also helps reduce snatch. The secondary job is to act as a counterbalance in the Alderney set up.

Indeed Martin, but length needs to consider thickness, thus weight. 30ft of 8mm is very different to 30ft of 12mm.

R

Billy for a 8mtr boat I would definitely have gone 10kg, i have a 10kg on my 6.95mtr. They will exchange if you change your mind. It will probably be ok in shallow inshore depths but not for 100ft off shore anchoring.

JV has gone down from 10 to 7.5kg, she is a big 9.5mtrs.

R

I would always err on the heavy side with anchors, most places you put the hook in are fine then go to one spot and the anchor drags, a bigger anchor helps plus a good length of chain 1.5 x boat length is a good guide. Then loads of rode, when the anchor doesn't want to hold 5 x depth is often needed particularly when there are a few waves around creating some snatch.

Your setup sounds fine except I would want a longer rode, there are a lot of 30m marks round here so that would mean 150m.

I think up to a 10kg anchor is quite managable on the Alderney ring, any heavier and it gets very hard work to lift over the side with the chain, for me anyway.

On my 10m boat I use 15kg anchor, 16m of 8mm chain, 200m of rode. Very happy with that setup except would like another 60m of rode for some mid channel anchoring spots. I use a windlass with an Alderney ring as a backup.

The idea of an anchoring guide sounds good. Fisherman's requirements for anchoring round here are far from typical with our depth of water and speed of tides. Non boat anglers have no clue what is needed for anchoring in 30m of water in 2 knots of tide.

Hi all

as always a lot of variety when this topic comes up

Over the past couple of years we have changed our go to anchor rig

I carry two in soft buckets in the hold 

15kg Bruce and 10metres of 10mm chain

10kg Bruce and 15 or more metres of 8mm chain

either of these can be attached via a stainless bow shackle to the full coil [220m] of 12mm three ply rope. 

The anchor is always rigged to trip with three large cable ties. [ needed twice last weekend ]

I still use an Alderney ring and big buff to lift the kit, nowadays we use a large side deck capstan to recover the warp. [getting a bit older now] The boys still prefer to hand haul it as it is definitely faster.

before taking the piss about the capstan Rob, I lifted the anchor about 10 times last weekend, several time in 35 metres plus of water.

Main point of this thread is that over the last couple of years I now tend to use the lighter set up with the longer chain most of the time even mid channel. It seems to hold OK and is easier to handle in use and when stowing back into the hold.

If/when I lose one of these sets I would replace the Bruce with a Delta as others say they dig in better

Charlie

The anchoring skills learned through the club are invaluable, and make a huge difference both to catch rates and safety.

We anchored today between two tongues of rock in a small Bay to the west of the Ile D'Aix. The ground is generally smooth but with outcrops of rock.

Rather than risk our main anchor for a lunch stop, the fishing anchor was deployed. Our 10kg Bruce clone is tiny for our 11 tons or so, but it will hold. Crucially, it's rigged to trip, and if snagged, it should come back.

We know someone without this experience, and lost a 33kg Rocna anchor and chain, after a bad snag.

Neil your 15mtr of chain is off setting your light anchor, a 7.5 kg anchor would give you a better set in deeper locations.

Mal, I bow to your superiority and apologise unreservedly. I have double checked my anchor and blow me if it’s not a 7.5kg Bruce !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make an interesting point Mike. These 'super' anchors like the Rocna, can really dig in a soft bed fantastically well according to their ratings however they can be hard to get out again I have been told, I would not want to use one on the various ground we anchor in, they are expensive!

You make an interesting point Mike. These 'super' anchors like the Rocna, can really dig in a soft bed fantastically well according to their ratings however they can be hard to get out again I have been told, I would not want to use one on the various ground we anchor in, they are expensive!

Totally agree Steve I lost a Manson Supreme(Cheaper Rocna Clone but still expensive ) on the patch because I couldn't dig it out even with the shackle in the sliding slot .

Bought a replacement Manson Supreme 7.5kg but rigged it to trip from the front (looks quite messy with chain flopping all over the place).These Anchors set fast and really dig in but don't like letting go.

I now keep it as a secondary anchor having replaced it with a 5kg "Original" Bruce claw anchor which is much easier to handle and easier to rig to trip.

I am trying out the "anchor trip links" via a caribiner so I dont have to reset once tripped but haven't had chance to use in anger yet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anchor-Trip-Link-for-craft-up-to-around-20ft-6mtr/173273957141?epid=2257469794&hash=item2857eec315:g:-DoAAOSwnxFZw-Go

Reports seem to indicate that the original bruce anchors perform better than the clones however they are no longer manufactured and have to be sourced second hand

A number of people have lost anchors in the Poole patch area (me included! - a long time ago)

It is much safer to anchor away from the rocks and let out anchor warp and let the tide take you over the rocks.

Many different species inhabit the rocks and also the area surrounding them - so it is not necessary to drop your anchor right on top of them.

Many different species inhabit the rocks and also the area surrounding them - so it is not necessary to drop your anchor right on top of them.

And, once the regs are agreed, dropping your anchor into the rocks could actually get you in trouble for damaging the features of the MCZ

(But only if the MMO empowers someone to enforce that aspect of the regs, because the IFCAs can only police fishing, not anchoring...)

To get back on topic, we uprated to a 7.5kg Bruce-clone rigged to trip on 25 foot of 8mm (might even be 10mm) chain on the Shetland as the 5kg dragged a couple of times off Ballard...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk