A new project named Blah ( could get messy)

Hooky

22 minutes ago, lofty said:

Not yours sunk i hope?

??? The Hobbit is a totall wreck  ( write off ) 

I lost everything, she was fully loaded ready to go out when it went to the bottom

So the decision ( at the time) was to give up, find another hobby that i could afford as well as use the very small amount of time I have for leisure.

The wife is very , very upset  as I'm a total (//:;---!~~~#%^^^}

All to add to the correct section of the forum ( please help me Coz I'm a stupid tosser section) when I make more stupid decisions.

5 minutes ago, sparky said:

Bloody Hell Hooky, hope you and all aboard are ok ?

Really sorry to hear about this, what caused the boat to go down ?

Mick

Err.    ? Thread got moved etc. , I hadn't been on for a while due to new forum etc 

No Mick , Hobbit sunk a few months ago ( see old thread)  she has been recovered and sits in a Christchurch boat yard 

All I was doing was mucking about playing with the new forum in a the correct section , hence , blah etc etc !!!

I put up pictures of the new boat , named 'Doombar ' the intention was to start a new thread in the correct section when ready ! 

The new boat  will be that project, I needed something to kick start my mind and interest ( or call it a day ) 

I am going to need some help ! Gummidge has kindly offered to give me a hand .

It was a huge decision, so many ifs and buts? After all the time effort and ££ getting the Hobbit perfect I'm still not 100% sure what direction to take .

The insurance pay out has only covered the price of a new hull , nothing else .

Of course I will start with life jackets, flares, VHF,rods and reels tackle etc .

Its been knowledge to a few club members I have not had the best of health in the last year but at last a small light seems to appeared , hence taking on a project. ( fingers still very crossed ! ) 

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

So as I can work out, original Hobbit a total right off :dissapointed_relieved:  new Hobbit is a wreck or at least needs lots of work?

if so good luck with the new project and I hope it's not long before you're out there giving us your catch reports :smileys-fish-777679: 

Blimey :heart::expressionless: I was only mucking about with pictures and stuff 

So the long and short of it is that I saw a picture on a Facebook group.

Its the pictured above , It just spiked my interest , NO ,  I'm not looking for a project , then again it looked OK, she had been fully sorted , new transom, new everything.

All done from a professional builder , 

Gummidge has one (endeavour 3)  his is also a 20ft job, she's a big old girl , very stable platform , nice cabin for a occasional night on the water , yep I quite like them but not as much as as Suntrip ( The Hobbit) 

I did a very stupid thing , when insuring Hobbit I gave its value without much thought, after all , its hardly going to sink in the short time it's on the water , only really insuring it for the liability on the mooring 

My stupidity reared up again when I put on a Yamaha 40   ( it actually did two trips  out before sinking ) :flushed::weary:( the old 60 was taken off )  it only took a couple of hours , shame I didn't tell the insurance company about the rise in value , shame I also put on a new VHF, new Sonarphone etc .

Shame I also put all my rods, reels , lures , life jackets in the cabin ready for a trip out .

If you are sensible you make sure your craft is insured to its true value, 

So here's the beginning of this story , the insurance ( correctly) paid up for what I had told them the value was .

More than sick :weary: What now ? Give up ? Dunno , No chance on throwing one penny more than what I got paid out , I'm not a idiot ( ?)  but realised it was stupid to try again  , I had become totally disheartened.

Sod the fishing , boats cost far more than I justify, only went out six times last year AND the weather was crap ,

Oh the other ugly nasty thing that shall remained kept very quiet ( I'm not a attention or sympathy seeker )  also affected every decision.

About time to liven things up on here , it's very quite , so time to get out there in the cold with a few hammers and a stick of mastic .

Massive thanks for all the gear etc , I going to set myself a target of 6 months to make sure I get of my ass and do this .

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Page 1 ; I've just bought a 20ft dory / flyer thing ) looks ok , it's a bit of a project , let's see what happens 

It's a Sunday night , time to think on what to do , what would you do ?????

Strange thing are telly, there appears to be funny brownish thing falling around a ice rink.

Im not female nor a homosexual , hence time to ask advice on this ere forum ,.

How many of our members have (or had) one , a quick Google finds very little information,  I believe the Wilson moulds have been used by loads of builders ( one in Poole) also a few have been torn apart due to water ingress in the sealed hull. 

Horror stories of knackered transoms , so builds have been very poor , some have been superb , used commercially due to huge stability..

What have I bought ? Dunno , I bought it from a very well respected member of a Welsh small boat club .

The old engine is. Yamaha 60 , described as not run for a while and not pumping water means one thing .

Its scrap, it has manual tilt , just so happens I'm pretty good with messing with old scrap , I have a few options , the 40 Yamaha from the Hobbit is re -build able, possibly.

Little chance of it putting a 20ft boat on the plane , lets see what I can get for it .

Mariner 60 , I have one with low compression complete with all controls , it has tilt/ Trim , it was a very good engine .

I have been informed these things weigh 1850 kgs plus , Gummidge is lending me his braked  trailer , just as well , no trailer with the sale , it will go back onto my old mooring , 

I have taken full responsibility for the old Hobbit , it's mine to salvage , also means I have to sell the hull , it a bit of plastic so might fetch a few quid  , it's fine for anyone whose daft enough to buy a old hull , after all , what could possibly go wrong.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The new craft looks reasonably tidy.  The only help I can give is that the new owner of the Wilson Flier moulds is a chap named Gary who lives Southampton way and posts on the WSF site.  He seems a very helpful guy so may give advice on your particular model.

Whatever you do with it good luck & may all your problems be minor ones.

If you ever need a day on the water feel free to come out with us it may just give you a pick me (as in you) up

Good luck! As you suspect, so do I, that this isn't a flyer. The flyer moulds have an extra chine or 2 (2 on the 20) that makes them distinctive.

Good luck with the build. First thing I'd do if go weigh it and see what weight it is at, give you a clearer idea if it's full of water.

Plus cut some hatches in to the deck to look for water.

Engine wise, how about a pair of 40's or perhaps bigger? I'd have thought you'd want 100+ hp from single and more if twins.

Enjoy!

Good luck Hooky.

As for manual tilt:  I used to do it a Baiter. Would not want to do it again.

That skeg on the engine could easily stab you or your crew's foot.

Any shallow slip would be a nightmare.

Whatever engine you get it has to be power tilt. ( In my humble opinion )

All the best.

Jim

Funny thing is I have a full trim/ tilt from my old Mariner  60 , all complete with relays etc

I totally agree Jim, ive done it before, again IF the Yamaha is not a scrapper the stuff i have will work , 

Far to many ifs ! I will get this out this season, some how.

I have just arranged to pick up the old Hobitt  (from Rivershack) Doombar will be put in its place to get it checked over //

Thanks to Will and the team from http://www.rivershackboats.co.uk/   for looking after me , brilliant company.

So i have one fully working engine ! Mariner 4 hp ! its perfect ! Will sorted it !!!  it will get nailed on asap !

3 hours ago, Tiddler said:

You would be surprised at the number of people who would want to buy your old boat.

Stick on the ' Tinternet ' and see.

Ok Jim , let's see !! Lol 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/shetland-Suntrip-fast-fishing-boat-project-Yamaha-40-outboard/292400872096?hash=item4414733aa0:g:bJ8AAOSwRTVaU-I~