A new project named Blah ( could get messy)

Hooky

Update ! Thanks to rivershack boats we have good progress! The engine is a good one !

All cylinders have good compression, its all fine, needs a very good full service.

New Battery, tray, cables, etc etc now happening

The electrics have all be given a general look over.

Minor problems are there is no push to choke on the control unit

First maiden launch very soon ( harbour only)

Crew required :glasses:

• 3 weeks later...

Last few minor issues , the old carbs got taken off to be "sonically " cleaned.

The old jets were totally shot and had to be changed , two had been put in crossed threaded !! 

The impeller housing was also very worn , I'm not sure how but that had also been put on wrong !!!! 

Very close to my end price as to what a old Yamaha is worth , at least it actually came for free (as such ) with the boat

I still need to sort out the Auxillary Transom bracket , I'm not going to wrisk going  far without a buddy boat , even a fully re- built main engine needs to be tested.

I would love to give a very, very big :thumbsup: to the ' Hookys totally skint and needs anything " to Alan, Jimbo,Chris  for all the donated gear , I'm feeling very humbled by the generous support from this club :glasses: .

Weird how thing happen , I took a big gamble on what had been described as a project boat , it turn out  it was 90% complete and in superb condition .

I also believed 6 or so months of hard work could be needed , rip up old deck, glass in new floor etc etc its taken a month ! So not a project at all !! 

Ah , money , yes that again ! No way would I be looking at the March bream competition, to raise a few £££ I'm selling my old Mariner 60 , selling my fuel gulping Mercedes ( getting a crappy old Focus instead !!! ) etc etc just to try and get out fishing  and enter a few club comps 

Why do we do all this for a few fish ???? 

Total madness !

Last few minor issues , the old carbs got taken off to be "sonically " cleaned.
The old jets were totally shot and had to be changed , two had been put in crossed threaded !! 
The impeller housing was also very worn , I'm not sure how but that had also been put on wrong !!!! 
Very close to my end price as to what a old Yamaha is worth , at least it actually came for free (as such ) with the boat

I still need to sort out the Auxillary Transom bracket , I'm not going to wrisk going  far without a buddy boat , even a fully re- built main engine needs to be tested.

I would love to give a very, very big :thumbsup: to the ' Hookys totally skint and needs anything " to Alan, Jimbo,Chris  for all the donated gear , I'm feeling very humbled by the generous support from this club :glasses: .
Weird how thing happen , I took a big gamble on what had been described as a project boat , it turn out  it was 90% complete and in superb condition .

I also believed 6 or so months of hard work could be needed , rip up old deck, glass in new floor etc etc its taken a month ! So not a project at all !! 

Ah , money , yes that again ! No way would I be looking at the March bream competition, to raise a few £££ I'm selling my old Mariner 60 , selling my fuel gulping Mercedes ( getting a crappy old Focus instead !!! ) etc etc just to try and get out fishing  and enter a few club comps 

Why do we do all this for a few fish ???? 
Total madness !

Some say it’s an illness!!
Me I just think it’s love of the peace and tranquility fishing provides !! Can’t put a price on a mans (or woman’s (or transgender etc etc)) happiness !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Tiddler said:

Did you sort your Anchor & Alderney ring set up Hooky ?

Yes Jimbo , Chris did the business ( and also bunged in a spare anchor, rods, reels et etc so hence I'm just about ready to go after a fish of some sort 

All donators will of course be coming out to play wether they want to or not !! 

Shes a a big old girl , will take 3/4 members so need to teach them all I know 

Monday morning 10:30 until 10; 50 should be fine :blush:

• 1 month later...

Another update !

With the Yamaha 90% ready it got started and running, not good, very poor.

Time was up (and money) I went off to collect her from the boat yard, I could have put her on the mooring but i using the auxilary engine but the best decision to take her home.

How does a trailer bearing crack so easily ???? better still it went on a main single road in rush hour when the schools kick out !

Carbs off (again) Three carbs to attempt another strip, attempt due to all the old screws and jets are sha##ed

I have found something ! bottom two carbs have the pilot jets blanked off , tiny wee piece  of rubber , its not the same in the top carb !

I think  I have discovered why  she keeps over - fueling , the investigation continues.

• 4 weeks later...

So that should be that !

The carb issue, each carb has a little rubber blank over the minor jet, mine had one missing.

Reed valves , mine had one (top cylinder) that was stuck, this would only add to the problems.

I realise I'm no mechanic, I totally understand why old outboards are such a pain when every bolt, grommet and wire has a shelf life , salt corrosion kills all ! 

These are very , very simple engines , getting them running spot on is a bit of a art , we all know far more modern ( or new ) can break for no reason no matter what you do.

The new auxiliary bracket can take up to 15 Hp ish , I'm putting on a 4 , at least it should give me a little confidence getting back as I'm a night fisherman, very few boats about .

Talking to a very good professional mechanic I have done all that can be done.

Good as new ? What does that really mean ?.

As I've already been told these old Yamahas could be one of the best outboards built, the only few worries are the oil pump, yes you can blank them off and pre -mix but on this engine leave it alone , get the mixture too rich and it will make it run too lean ( you would think its the other way around ) .

That brings me back to those tiny pilot jet blanks, you must have them on all three carbs, the minor jets under them still need to be in perfect condition, they draw air from the main jet via a tiny unseen hole in the carb body , throw in too much pre- mix and it blocks it , it will then run lean which ( could) lead to possible seizure at full throttle.

I'm going to try and behave with this engine, it's not going to fast anyway, estimated 22knts at wot.

As long as I adjust the cables to give me a maximum of 16 knots that will do until the 115 e- tec arrives ( ?????)

Things still to do, 1 wheel bearing, solder a couple of wires and get 3 or 4 days off for a  play .

I probably a optimistic, I can't see why a 20ft fully sorted boat should not go out to some of those wrecks 35 miles out as long as a buddy boat will go with me , it's all about confidence, mine has taken a bit of a hammering, after all what could possibly go wrong 

Good luck Hooky!

Do you think that 4hp is going to be enough? My thought would be you would be lucky to push against a reasonable tide with 4hp on a 20 ft boat.

Does anyone have any stats on what speed they get off their auxiliary?

Rob

Doh, just did a long post on my auxiliary engine , lost it !

I have a little Mariner 4, used it on the Suntrip , start her up, lock in place and you can use you man engine as a rudder , yes it does work ( ok ish) .

Throttle is taken can of by a 8ft length of plastic tube from B & Q .

2 to 3 knots with little tide, brilliant for trolling , uses a £5.00 all day .

Also used for a gentle river or harbour cruise , no worries about endless issues with nets or ropes .

The other thing that I found of use was being able to go over some very nasty coves and inlets knowing if that little prop gets damaged I'm not going to cry over a £10. 00 .

Im not sure who it was but I have seen a local using a electric bow mounted engine in a couple of foot of water over a sand bar      Lure fishing for bass  ( PJ ? ) 

I think it's a  American thing, down rigging using a auxiliary engine trying to create as little disturbance as possible is another thing to do this year .

Things to sort out as follows, get the fuelling correct, all three spark plugs a different colour, engine hangs on too long to revs.

Put new bearing on trailer, fit new end stop to trailer winch post.

Find and fit boarding ladder .

Cable tie all wires in place .

Finish carpet in cabin .

Get a boat only basic tool box , spare plugs, electrical tape, Wd40, etc

Get of of those brilliant little jump starter packs  ( last one again went down with on Hobit) .

Time is ticking away , time off work ( even once a week ) is my biggest problem , I'm not going to mention the fishing will kick off in the next month and we will be in for a nice summer , it's all true !

Grrrrr :excl: frustrating this crappie old outboard thing , not sure WTF is going on , Let's try a new fuel pump , also I'm giving up with these old carburettors , new set on there way , it's starting to go beyond what the engine is worth ,.

Revs still hanging on , very poor revs on throttle , top plug still getting wet , bottom plug still looks very lean .

Tested all coils, stator fine, pulser exiter thing ok , new fuel , compression 125 psi on all three cylinders, reed valves fine , new plugs etc etc etc yawn I'm off to bed .

On 13/05/2018 at 8:36 PM, Rob said:

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Are the plugs firing in the correct order? Have you got 2 back to front?

R

No Rob, plug leads not long enough to get it wrong BUT I think you may be on the right track with that comment,  Mmmm HT leads , thats something else to double check, I may just start again at the very beginning !

I STILL  think its a carb issue , I will take the old ones off (with pictures) .

Last night took off the fuel pump, its going in the bin , its a nasty copy , the diaphram seems ok but the slightest bleed  will put fuel direct into the crank case hence a wet plug , im getting a bit lost with this engine, at least I will know every nut and corroded bolt on this engine.

Other interesting things ( or not ! ) Cold starting. I dont have a normal choke as such, its a small piston that heats  a wax plug when the ignition turns on, it lasts about 20 seconds  ( think glow plug )  this then alters  then richens the mixture on one carb only , if this fails you can flick a little red button , this is on cylinder 2 , the spark plug seems perfect colour.

So a nice set of carbs is on its way from deepest Devon , these have a normal press key to choke function , shame i dont have the push button on my control box !!!! another thing to buy !!!! These will just bolt on, they have come from a 100% working engine so it will put me on the correct path again ( or to the asylum )

Thanks for all the suggestion chaps .