A new project named Blah ( could get messy)

Hooky

Launched !! After a few issues with the cable adjustment ( would not select forward on gearbox) I managed to go up and down the river a few times, tide up to a mooring buoy and set up the carbs, not easy but all now seems perfect ,.

The auxiliary engine also needed a bit of fettling , at least I know that works should it be needed.

Will I get my first fish today from my new boat ?? .

Many things learned about old outboards ; they may run in a tank or on muffs but that means nothing, put them under load , it's the only way.

There is a point when a old outboard is scrap, set yourself a budget and stick to it .

Old two strokes are increasing in value ( !!!!!!!!!)  compression test first , if that's not perfect walk away .

Make sure it will select gears, check for spark.

As a rule of thumb if you buy a old outboard for £1000 expect to spend that amount again to get it perfect.

Old outboards take far longer to service , every nut or bolt could be seized , many professional mechanics won't work on old engines, a full days labour (£45.00 per hour plus parts ) seems the norm.

So would I do it again ? simple answer NO , I simply don't have the time or energy .

I only bought this boat as the hull is brilliant, one day she will have a nice new ( ish ) engine .

See you all soon

As a non Marine Engineer you have done a great Job mate.

WELL DONE YOU.

I am one and feel justified to make that comment,

I simply do not have time to take on these type of tasks any more, but know from past experience how difficult and time consuming it can be.

Having saved a Yamaha 60 2 stroke with knackered main bearings, I hope that yours runs as well as that one did after all the work required.

It happened, Doombar has her first fish !

FIrst drop using small Sabikis, three bass, all retuned, the mackeral were thicker than soup ! 

Big bait down produced a nice Gurnard followed by a nice little spotty .

Time was limited as I'm not confident in the engine yet ( still goes lumpy when pushed then drops onto two cylinders, could only be a coil ) 

Anchored up opposite the old coast guard hut , it was very snotty and bumpy out for the whole day.

One slight disappointment, the old Shetland was far better getting over the ledge , I will get used to the slamming in time or it could be I haven't got my sea legs adjusted.

This weekend looks pretty good so far , only saw one other boat out today, ( charter) but not going to push my luck to push a little further out until some confidence returns.

UPDATE !!!! Im going to put this bit in this thread with a huge CAUTION !

Sea trail (day 2 ) could have seen me in BIG trouble.

Heading over the ledge in fairly lumpy conditions the whole front window got forced in by a big wave .

In 2 seconds the boat was in a very bad situation.

I stayed very calm , headed  in on main engine , yes i had my hand held VHF ready , clipped to my life jacket, this could at least been a Pan Pan .

I managed to get all the way back up into the harbour before the bilge pump also died ( bits of plastic crap) stopped it dead.

Main engine still plodding on, got back to her mooring (phew)

My opinion is this way of fitting a big main front window (on a rubber seal) is a DANGER , I have never even considered this on this type of craft.

Im going down to fit a new screen , ( 1 inch over size fitted over foam tape and finished wit bolts and lock nuts ).

Your thoughts on this issue please 

My thought firstly is if you didn’t have bad luck you wouldn’t have any.
Well done for keeping it calm and making it back safely !!
If the window is that flymsy then maybe nuts and bolts is the way forward.
Do you think the window was original material or maybe an aftermarket type that was too flexi and flexed out of the rubber ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Neil said its often that some one replaces these rubber seal types with an low quality material and they can flex and pop out.

Its common that when putting the anchor down some ones phat bum often lands on the front screen and pops the window in and or breaks it.

I remember fitting new windows into a boat when we built one from new and one of the hardest jobs was installing the beading into the new window trims, however once installed there where almost unbreakable. I like the bolt in sat on foam system myself, however I do tend to prefer them being recessed for this to work and smaller panels.

I had a smaller but similar style boat with that type of window. Previous owners used to sit on the roof. That broke the pillars and the windows were forever falling out.

I plated the pillars with thick stainless and glued & bolted new windows.

Sorted.

Glad you got home safe !

Did you have spare underpants on board ? :)

http://www.displaysuk.co.uk/

@Gummage

Going down tommorow: Things could have been FAR worse, that's what sea trials are about.

I have found out I'm not the only one to have this happen , that big window will fail if a reasonable force is applied .

They have agreed to do a special quickly job .

Also going to fit another bilge pump , it's going to be chucking it down this weekend !

Oh yeah, the weird intermittent engine problem , it's definitely coils or cdi , it can run under power for a hour  or 15 minutes (???) it will just go lumpy sometimes.

Switch back on and it's all fine again OR lumpy , all I know is that it always starts on the first turn of the key.

Windows or not, you shouldn't be taking onboard water over the bow on the ledge. I have no windows and balanced throttle and boat speed to match the sea is key.

But as others have said, maybe the screen has been replaced with thinner material.

R

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Windows or not, you shouldn't be taking onboard water over the bow on the ledge. I have no windows and balanced throttle and boat speed to match the sea is key.

But as others have said, maybe the screen has been replaced with thinner material.

R

Not it sure Rob , I've been out on a few bigger boats ( Marlin / Fisheagle) and have certainly seen big waves pitch over the bow and hit the windscreen ??  Have I got this bit right ??? ( yes I was heading into a rather lumpy confused swell) 

I had a Wilson Flyer 18 and took the windows out when painting

they were a bugger to get out and in , even after buying the proper tool to insert the spreader insert.

So I definitely think yours has been changed to an alternating material and probably thinner.

From the photo it also looks very big probably larger than original.

My front window was a big one,  it now has a polycarbonate (5mm) bonded and bolted to the outside reveal, no chance of that ever happening again .

Decided against acrylic, it can still crack etc .

I think that's it now , everything seems spot on as It needs to be , the other few bits that need doing are just bling , I always wanted to be safe, it's always be the first priority .

Of course the weather is looking crap for this weekend, :confounded: I'm all ready to go out and get a couple of Bream for the BBQ but I'm a very happy chappie knowing the hard work will have been worth the wait 

My next post WILL be a catch report with loads of nice piccies.

Thanks again to you lot for all the encouragement & support :smileys-fish-593342: