A new project named Blah ( could get messy)

Hooky

Spot on !! Is it a  totall piece of crap ???? Has it been built by a mad Welshman ??? 

Probably .....All Welshmen are Mad!! including myself:blush:

I used to work with  the secretary of that club and he would possibly know the boats history.

I wouldn't be surprised if he sold it to you.

It may have been  one of his earlier purchases before he settled on the Merry Fisher.

Maybe not as he had a warrior before that:flushed:

I'm pretty sure I recognised it sitting in the compund next to the river (not the main compound)on one of my visits about 3 years ago.

Hope you get it sorted and fingers crossed It doesn't have the rot problems associated with the old home build Wilson flyers..

Gary who now owns the Wilson Flyer moulds builds a lovely boat but yours aint a Flyer so he may not be able to give you much assistance..He has got multiple build pics of his new design on WSF but this  link may be of use to you.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/wilson-flyer-fast-fisher-17-rebuild.30362681/#post-39576681

It's seems I have thrown the dice again! 

She will be up my driveway next weekend .

Im pleased to find that the Pilot 20ft never had a foam filled hull  (Wilson models did)

Pilot stringers run stern to bow , Wilson across beam with no drain holes between .

My Pilot has hull has had a professional re build , Mmmm , ?? .

Its always a gamble buying a old boat !! Silk purse from a sows ear ? I do know the transom is fine and solid .

Now way will I throw a big motor on it , 60 / 90 is plenty , I've seen one with a 150 !

The MAJOR issue of funding , yep , I'm a idiot , never bothered about cosmetics it's just getting a few fish on board  that will be the target for this year 

Cheers for all the replies and advice on this thread , Im glad to see its woken up the new forum :smileys-fish-777679: just posting a few pictures in the test section .

• 2 weeks later...

Without going on for  hour or two :glasses: Doombar now sits in the driveway .

The trip to get her from deepest ,darkest Wales was eventful , Gummage came along for a nice few hours in the most horrendous weather .

Snow storms, torrential rain from dawn to dusk, it had caught out a few motorists ( including a traffic copper who managed to aqua plane stuffing his car into the Armco )

Towing a 20ft boat on a big trailer is a litter demanding , in those conditions it was horrendous .:confounded:

My only aim for this year is to get her on the water , all the pretty stuff can wait .

Inspection so far is that I have made a very wise purchase ,This boat has had a huge amount of pounds thrown at it .I will attempt to find out more as this has been a professional build , it really is that good..

The main thing of is the Big Yamaha , removing the hood it looks like new , I have been informed these engines could be the toughest engine ever to go on a boat .

I have made a wise decision to take it to a professional for a full service (Rivershack )  he will also go over all the wiring because that's the bit I think I've always found a struggle .

Loads of stuff going on in the few short hours I have , lighting fitted up driveway so work will can progress after dark .

Im still waiting for that big kick in the ass , have I actually managed to do ok ?  :grimace:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So Pilot boats had the titles 520, 570 and 590, is yours the 590?

Many years ago I had a Pilot 520 with a 50hp outboard.  The only issue we had was that somehow water got into the areas under the floor.  Never found out how it got in there but our solution was to fit drain plugs and periodically let it out.  Had great fun on that boat as no doubt you will have with this one :smileys-fish-777679:

Yep this is the 590, it has exactly the same thing, water gets in under the deck , mine has low deck drain plug .

Plug removed , about Two litres came out , this was done on a very steep slipway .

As I understand 'they all do that " ? 

The sealed deck will mean fitting twin auto bilge pumps , there won't be a full cover on this boat , it will be on a mooring so It will need checking every few days  even thought the solar charging should keep the battery topped up .

The water under the deck ? I will check if it's salty upon getting her floated , she will also be taken to a weigh bridge on the trailer , Gummidge has exactly the same boat with a 80 Hp so in theory they should be about the same .

His skims along at a fair pace and gets on the plane with no issues so with a 20 Hp deficiet I think it will be just ok .

Cables from the controll unit have been oiled and re fitted , steering cable later this evening , It's getting cold and starting to rain , got to keep going !

Looks like you may have found a keeper......Hope so.

She looks sound from the pics.

Re water under deck..If its like my RYDS600AC then it is most likely rain water .

I get the guys at Cobbs to give her a bit of a tilt on the fork lift each time they take her off the drystack. Its surprising how much can come out of the drain plug hole after a few months exposure to the weather.

There has never beem an isssue in use and even when on the pontoon  a couple of pumps on the  manual bilge pump used to clear her out.

Gave up looking for a solution years ago:blush:

Yep this is the 590, it has exactly the same thing, water gets in under the deck , mine has low deck drain plug .
Plug removed , about Two litres came out , this was done on a very steep slipway .

As I understand 'they all do that " ? 
The sealed deck will mean fitting twin auto bilge pumps , there won't be a full cover on this boat , it will be on a mooring so It will need checking every few days  even thought the solar charging should keep the battery topped up .
The water under the deck ? I will check if it's salty upon getting her floated , she will also be taken to a weigh bridge on the trailer , Gummidge has exactly the same boat with a 80 Hp so in theory they should be about the same .
His skims along at a fair pace and gets on the plane with no issues so with a 20 Hp deficiet I think it will be just ok .
Cables from the controll unit have been oiled and re fitted , steering cable later this evening , It's getting cold and starting to rain , got to keep going !

Do you have a solar kit already ? If not I have one you can purchase at a knock down price !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hooky

I had a 17ft Wilson Flyer that was very heavy built as a one off. It performed badly with a cheap 45HP on the back so I fitted a new 60HP Yamaha. Wow what a difference, great after that.

Are you sure that the Yamaha has a terminal problem, does it look cooked by overheating?

Or is the the water flow a minor thing.

1 hour ago, great white said:

Hi Hooky

I had a 17ft Wilson Flyer that was very heavy built as a one off. It performed badly with a cheap 45HP on the back so I fitted a new 60HP Yamaha. Wow what a difference, great after that.

Are you sure that the Yamaha has a terminal problem, does it look cooked by overheating?

Or is the the water flow a minor thing.

Engine looks like new under the hood , Rivershack will be sorting it out as im taking her down tomorrow.

New impellor, full service IF COMPRESSION OK ISH 

Hoping for around 115psi ( 125 perfect) 

The cooling system is so simple but a lump of mud or grit can easily block a pipe.

As long as i can get one year out of this motor It will see be a good purchase 

Simple update ; spent all day wiring things up , every cable has been soldered etc etc

I now have done my best to get everything working as it should .

I still have the biggest thing left, the engine.

Fingers crossed , she's still on my driveway awaiting to be taken down to Rivershack.

Im still aiming for the first week in April ?? It's getting rather exciting but not going to rush as I'm going to get this job 100% right first time .

Tinned cable I hope or you will be doing it again!

Yep fully agree with Robs comment and while your at it pullout and inspect the fuses and holder contacts of any in line fuseholders(particularly the blade fuses )as they are subject to galvanic corrossion if the boat has been afloat for a while.

Can't stress the importance of using tinned copper wire enough

Peteg