A mixed day on Fisheagle.

Leicester Fisheagle

Set out with Jan around 8 am. Tried a few drifts in the Swashbut nothing very interesting.

Moved out to 80 foot plus of water where we managed to fish for a couple of hours on a spot I have'nt been to for a while. Had eight small eyes and an undulate around 12 lbs. But nothing enormous.We were suprised by the number of gurnards, especially reds. We each kept a couple for tea.

As it was flat calm, Jan tried for a few more garfish and finished up having fun and catching 20. A few other species including smoothounds, huss dogs etc. were also caught. A couple of half decent huss of 9 plus to me and an 8.25lb one to Jan.

The highlight of Jan's day was when he hooked into something decent on his heavy gear. The conversation went something like (the expletives have been left out). "It can't keep going, I can't tighten up any more and have two thumbs on the spool." "Jan, its not going to stop, by the time I buoy the anchor, there will be no line left.

Yet another Poole Bay Monster. A thing dreams and fishy tales are made of.

post-39-0-86270500-1507492759_thumb.jpeg

post-39-0-02234400-1507492770_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-60206500-1507492779_thumb.jpg

It would be a good idea if we start off by each giving our locations and time of year of the hook in. This might give us a target area.

On Marlin we were on the south west side of the Spoil Ground in late December. Two consecutive years virtually on the same date and the same mark we hooked into the fish. Swam off slowly and broke line, impossible to hold.

It would be a good idea if we start off by each giving our locations and time of year of the hook in. This might give us a target area.

On Marlin we were on the south west side of the Spoil Ground in late December. Two consecutive years virtually on the same date and the same mark we hooked into the fish. Swam off slowly and broke line, impossible to hold.

Thanks Greg

Do you think heavier tackle could have stopped it?

Possibly Charlie

Both years were on the annual December cod comp.

I was fishing with 25lb Wiplash, 50 lb leader and 70lb mono trace.

This year I will be taking my 50lb class Finord. 50lb Braid and 100lb leader and 150 lb trace. Just in case it decides to show again. Both times before we used whole squid baits.

About 5 years ago

A mile east of Ballard

Late summer

Caught a blue buoy travelling north at 6 knots, probably a set of pots or a net.

Managed to capture this on the boat.

It managed to pull the boat backwards, at 4 knots until the handle on the buoy broke.

3 ton boat, 9 foot transom, 4 knots, backwards, some power!!!

Tony