Harbour Hints

billy2shots

Feels like ages since I last managed to squeeze a fishing trip in due to our lovely British summer weather.

I've totally neglected the harbour in the 10 months I've had my boat and it's times like these a few good marks in sheltered water would come in handy.

Had a potter around last Sunday to try and find some likely spots. I was thinking of fishing near the drying out spots between Brownsea and the entrance. I need about 1.5m under me so will need to be a little careful. I picked a spot outside of the nursery boundary (line from the castle to Jerrys point) and outside of the channel that runs around the islands.

I saw a couple of 6-7lb harbour bass kept (by 2 anglers , 1 each) by a boat at my marina that has wet my whistle but what else is around? I know the odd Bream turns up but I was thinking slightly bigger. I thought about setting up for larger bass with the hope that the odd Smut might be around. Wishful thinking?

Pops also had a small conger near the castle going back a decade or two but I've got the feeling targeting them may result in a quiet day...

So without trying to pinch actual marks, is there any areas worth a look? Does my pre chosen area sound way off?

As always, any help very much appreciated.

Hooky top tip is to fully understand when fish actually feed

http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/england/bournemouth.

Forget all this hot spot rubbish , even the best 'supposed' places will get you nothing if can't get the basics right.

You may see a certain area and watch those big bars of silver splash around on the surface , the chances of getting one to take a bait can be a impossibility .

This is the open public bit of the forum so members won't post details .

It's taken me 30 odd years to get a a basic feel on our harbour and I can still blank !

Yes you will always pick up the odd decent fish here and there , it was me that got the nice big cod last year along with a nice 9lb Pollock .

Timing against the moon phase on the perfect tide is the answer , o yeah I forgot , the fish will only feed if the temperature is perfect to enter harbour water , , you also need the correct bait for the time of year !!!!!!!

Please try and put this hot spot rubbish back into reality , all fish don't stay in ANY particular area , they move, hour by hour and only feed for a vey short time , I don't want to seem to be blunt but the only way succeed is to put the hours in and study the science , short cuts and fishermans tall tails will get you nowhere .

I agree with what you are saying Hooky in so far as there are lots of variables that go into catching fish but I disagree to some extent about locations.

Having spent a couple of decades observing fish feeding patterns there are undeniably certain areas fish feed in more confidently than others. Whilst we all know fish don't stay in a particular area that doesn't mean they feed to any extent everywhere they travel. They can travel from A to C but just because they pass B doesn't mean they will feed there (does that make sense? Or have I confused myself lol).

We know that fish will swim up and down the Bay constantly but we don't fish flat barran ground, we fish banks and undulations. We do this because we have learned through experience (or asking others) that fish feed in these areas and not because we think it's an underwater aquarium where fish can't leave.

The trick is working out why fish feed in a certain locations on one day and not another and that brings into play what you mention about tides and moon phases. Put all that together and you will have more good days than bad.

The problem I have is the fact all my learning up to this point has been in freshwater and I'm starting again at square one in the salty stuff. The principles will be the same but my notebook is blank. Fishing fish holding areas to learn when the fish feed is job one, from there I can delve into more specifics. Without that fist step I am just a man in a boat relying on luck.

I agree with what you are saying Hooky in so far as there are lots of variables that go into catching fish but I disagree to some extent about locations.

Having spent a couple of decades observing fish feeding patterns there are undeniably certain areas fish feed in more confidently than others. Whilst we all know fish don't stay in a particular area that doesn't mean they feed to any extent everywhere they travel. They can travel from A to C but just because they pass B doesn't mean they will feed there (does that make sense? Or have I confused myself lol).

We know that fish will swim up and down the Bay constantly but we don't fish flat barran ground, we fish banks and undulations. We do this because we have learned through experience (or asking others) that fish feed in these areas and not because we think it's an underwater aquarium where fish can't leave.

The trick is working out why fish feed in a certain locations on one day and not another and that brings into play what you mention about tides and moon phases. Put all that together and you will have more good days than bad.

The problem I have is the fact all my learning up to this point has been in freshwater and I'm starting again at square one in the salty stuff. The principles will be the same but my notebook is blank. Fishing fish holding areas to learn when the fish feed is job one, from there I can delve into more specifics. Without that fist step I am just a man in a boat relying on luck.

That sounds like a lot of us - A lot of luck required :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

My understanding is that it's impossible to understand what's going on !!!!

Scenarios as follows

Day 1 :same location , same tide , 24 hours between # day 1 , a couple of small wrasse .

Day 2 : 12 different species including a red mullet (delicious) 4lb bass , 18lb conger , etc etc

The difference was Sprats , none on day 1 , the arrived for 2 odd hours on day 2 to feed

Wreck no 1 , loads of fish showing on sounder , we tried everything , blanked

Same wreck day after , nothing showing, nothing biting , blanked again

Day 3 ! Same wreck , etc etc and bingo , non stop action ,

Why ???

It's because its the bait fish they-are chasing , no bait fish and they don bother as such, the don't get really turned Fully on

You need to start those little fish feeding , bait bombs , rubby dubby etc

I learned so much by visiting the Aquarium down by the pier , they change the flow of the pumps and temperature to stop the fish eating each other ! Those big old sharks and eels could empty out all their neighbours if they got it wrong !!!!

Funny thing is they DO get it wrong , bloody fish , can't trust them !

Plenty of variables to consider and luck required

But that said knowledge and water craft also play a huge part.

Wrecks fish differantly from day to day and there are no sure fire ways of filling the boat with fish. but knowing where the mark is, then putting the boat in the right place sure helps.

I think that is what this post is about.

IMHO for the size of our harbour the fishing is poor, but as a learning area and back up when the weather is bad it has a few areas to fish

Wych channel by Brownsea Island has fish , but also plenty of tide full of weed.

The entrance has a few bass and various bait fish, but also lots of tide, weed and boat traffic and of course the chain ferry

The training bank can be a good area to drift for a lot of species when wind and tide allow you to keep away from the structure.

and of course the ray fishing on the hook sands has been good at times but can be unfishable because of weed.

Knowing a few places to fish to have a few options to change sure helps, but sometimes it needs a few tries to hit on a winning formula to how to improve catches and angling skills.

It is not luck that makes certain Anglers better than others, it is usually watercraft, knowledge and ability. Most of which is gained by fishing a lot with other good anglers.

One thing for sure it cannot be learnt from reading books in front of a fire. Tips and pointers can be gained that way but it is by getting your line wet often where you learn most.

Charlie

You explained the situation in freshwater pretty well Billy. I'm a freshwater fisherman turn sea fisherman too but a few years further along the path from you.

The main things to get your head round different from inland IMO is:

The seasonal nature of the fish present our waters.

The importance of tides to where fish are and when they feed.

The importance of water carity (for many species anyway).

The sheer size of the sea and number of possible places to fish.

Sea fish are not very tackle fussy.

Personally I love the challange to figuring out where to go and when and what method to use there is so so much to learn. Results do improve with time and effort. Joining this club had given you a real leg up but the learning curve is still there and isn't that all part of the enjoyment when the plan comes together and you have a great day.

MY GOOD GOD !!!!! yes; took all my own advise etc ; launched Hobitt from Christchurch ; Sunday 06/08/17.

Tested new engine , seems ok so far, hight spot on, prop size pretty close. Transducer now epoxy bonded in hull .

Loaded with perfect rigs, perfect fresh bait. anchored under life guard hut ( pout hole area ) 

What a total blanker I am , i give up ! ( it was very bumpy and windy so felt like crap all day)