A struggle over The Channel

Adam F

JV is just back from 3 days in Alderney with Ian and Alun joining me to make a 3 man team.

We look so forward to this little adventure each year, and as usual having been blown out a couple of times since May, finally the most heavenly of forecasts loomed into view last week..... a heatwave and a week of flat seas and sunshine....perfect!

This was to be a solo trip for JV due to lack of buddies, but I contacted Steve Porter the day before we left as he was heading over too, and asked if he could keep an eye and ear out for us over the 3 days.

We had the nicest trip over Ive had in some 15 years of going - the seas got flatter as we went from a gentle F2 ripple to glassy smooth, and by 10am on Sat we were having our first drift on the Casquets. To say it was hard was an understatement, and despite all fishing hard until 5pm, between us we had just 2 turbot and 1 brill.

As always it was the Maris Hall for 1st night tradition, and as always, the pepper steaks were great, washed down with a few pints of Guiness.

Day 2 and we were determined to do better... well what a slog! We fished all 3 main banks, the Schole, South and Casquets - nothing! We finished off trying for a tope.... nothing, and then finally a go at a Couches Bream.... just dogfish. We fished flat out from 9am to 6pm for just a handful of dogfish. 

To lift our spirits in the evening we were treated to somewhat of a private party at Mark's house, where Fi rustled up a seafood feast, and we retired to the pub for a few more beers.

Day 3 - hometime, pee'd off with flatties, we decided to hit the wrecks for the day to fill the fish boxes. Again this was hard work as recent reports suggest... again we fished flat out, visiting 12 wrecks on the way back for 4 pollock and 3 cod... terrible. I have never known such a poor days fishing this time of year!

On the plus side, the weather, food, company and boat were superb and it was still a great trip away - just took the shine off a little due to the poor fishing...

Sounds tough mate 

I really thought that it would work out for you in that fantastic forecast, why is the fishing usually below par when the weather goes like that?

Looks like you could not have tried any harder, it was just one of those trips

Glad that everything else made it an enjoyable weekend.

Charlie

Tough trip Adam but it's always enjoyable visiting Alderney anyway. Seems like all the fish there were well off the feed.

At least you were spared the travails Tigerfish had on the last trip back.

Better to do than view

Rob will be on soon about the weavers, he persisted with one when on Alfresco and caught a turbo on it.

Indeed I did, how you mocked me, biggest if the trip if I remember correctly!!!

I've had one on JV with weaver too! I'd use them more but they are by-catch of turbot fishing rather than a bait target.

Though I was not there, I was gutted for the guys when the updates came through. There is always next time!!!

Glad JV was well behaved, always a bonus.

R

Very few mackerel....plenty of launce in some spots...few in others

Same as we had when over there in May.

Regarding using weavers, IMO I doubt that would be a magic bullet, it might make for a small increase in catch rate for a Turbo thats only slightly interested in feeding. What may have been worth a try is anchoring in a likely spot assuming they are there but switched off feeding a continuous scent might just trigger some action.

Speaking to a few friends in Guernsey the Trawlers have been working the banks and with the number of charters and pleasure boats a few small flatties is the norm. Too many nets and trots taking all the fish. Hard work with no mackerel either. Mackerel and flat fish ban around the corner?

Just back from a 5 day trip on Offshore Rebel with Paul W. He too was bemoaning the lack of fish - although we didn't concentrate on the flats but more mixed fishing. Only two flats on the boat. A few pollock and the odd cod on the wrecks and deep reefs and lots of good huss and bream when able to anchor. And managed a 45lb est. tope on a big hook Charlie - I do have one or two. Paul posted a pic.... Weather couldn't be faulted....