Annual Cod Competition

Neal

Piccie below...could admin rotate please? Can't see how to do it.

Many thanks Neal for a great trip, and finding the fish for me.

For those interested, it came to a 3/0 circle hook to 40lb fluorocarbon, with a cocktail of lug, squid and cuttle, dangling from my 4.2m telescopic Kraken match rod, with an Alcedo fixed spool reel. The rod was held almost all day, and the bite was so light,I doubt it would have been detected on a conventional rod.

post-39-0-44453900-1480287030.jpg

Edited by Coddy

Well done Mike on a cracking fish caught on the right day :) 

2 cod on our boat with both going to Dean  14lb-10oz and another of about 11lb.  

Other than that we had congers pout whiting and just a couple of dogs.

Generally a slow day but good to get out on a proper fishing trip at last

Another cod comp to be held by Poole Sea Angling Centre on the 27th December, fingers crossed for decent weather

A big thank you to Mr Chairman for a good day out. Tony was placed 2nd and I came 6th ( I would have caught bigger but did not wish to upset such a high ranking club official).

I am just recovering from being classed as an also ran by Stuie for not being in the top 3. My therapist believes I will recover if I put the £30 prize voucher toward a new reel.

Cheers Ian

Charlie, I threaded the lug up the line, hooked the smallish squid and piece of cuttle through one end, and whipped them together, and to the Hook, and also to the snood with bait elastic. The total size was about 4-5" long, hooked one end only, with most of the Hook clear of the bait.

The objective is bait presentation, and holding the rod in bare hands means you can diagnose each bite quickly. I only had one bite like this. Have had big conger mouth a bait, but this was more of a pickup and hold. With just 12" of trace, you can feel a lot.

I knew it was different when I lifted, and the quiver tip bent as if I were hooked in the bottom. I felt a slight movement and leant hard, which set the Hook in the scissors of the jaw. The fish took line against a heavy drag, and I wondered at conger or maybe a good ray. It stopped backing away, and made no attempt to hold the bottom, so I wondered if it might have been a cod, but I felt no "nodding" so wasn't sure.

The haul to the surface was slow and steady, with no plunges, runs or nods. I made sure the rod kept lots of bend, in case the Hook had torn a hole. It was coming fairly straight up, ruling out a conger which usually surfaces well astern, and ruled out a more lively ray.

I was only sure it was cod when it surfaced. I backed away towards the bow, and Stuie expertly netted it. Thanks Stuie!

Mike

Interesting details on the bite Mike. The two we had on the boat gave the usual few taps on the rod tip and then pulled the rod round, as soon as the rod started to go over we lifted the rod out of the rest gave a little line then leant into them. Most charter skippers say a lot of their punters strike too soon, having seen a few in action I agree with them, rod starts to go over, lunge at the rod, wild strike, met with nothing but fresh air!

I guess you made contact pretty quickly, who knows whether it would have moved off bait in mouth in classic fashion or dropped it.

Results of the Cod comp

First Place             Mike Fox            24lb 6oz 

Second Place        Tony Deavin       14lb 12.5oz

Third Place            Dean Burt           14lb 10oz

Mike actually spent all day targeting Whiting! - hence size 3 hooks and single squid cocktail baits - he thought he might have a better chance of winning the largest whiting prize!