Junior Fishing Competition 2016

Greg

Sorry Charlie

In my haste last night in getting out the post I left off Jack's first name please find the amended list below.

Marlin - Bradley Toms

Alfresco - Jayden Wald and Jack Wald

Joint Venture 2- Reuben & Isla Franklin, Olivia Francis, Dom and Sam Annear

Kingfisher - Blake Witherford, Emma and Amy Simpson

Solan - Charlotte and Chris Samways

Boat? - Curtis and Sophie Driver

Hey Rob, Guess who the Junior Comp Organiser baton will be passed to next year :D  :D.................You will have my full support. 

Greg

So biggest blue shark wins??☺

Dragged the girls out of bed as they are still in holiday mode and met Chris at Cobbs for 8:30. Transit was a little windy and we picked up a bouy at the far end of the jet ski area. We caught the square root of f@ck all and stowed the kids in the cabin every squall.

Around 10:30ish Chris decided to try a drift opposite the Brownsea Island Castle and the kids started to catch a lot of fish on each drift. Emma, Amy and Blake caught Pollack, Black Bream, Gilt Head Bream, Pout, Bass, Red Mullet, Smoothies and Plaice between them. What started as a quiet day turned into a very enjoyable one.

Thank you to Chris for hosting us and to Greg for organising the day. Seeing the girls jumping up and down shouting "I got one, I got one" and "I got a shark" makes you appreciate what days like this are all about.

I like to win at everything I do, but today did make me appreciate the tree hugging term "It's the taking part that counts" although the girls better catch a few more species in a fortnight else they won't be allowed to see my photos from next weeks Norway trip, that'll teach em.

Cheers Ian

Well done Ian,

When I was asked early this year by the committee to help out and organise the Junior comp I agreed for the very reasons you have described in your report Ian. All of our kids deserve the chance to experience what all us members do on a regular basis and for you and Chris and your kids to achieve what you did today was nothing short of remarkable.

To fish against the elements - driving drizzle, 20 knots gusts and  choppy waters and to stick it out to the bitter end and to be able to make it enjoyable for the kids at the same time is amazing. Again, well done to you both. And thanks to Chris for being able to accommodate an additional family on his boat.

I would also like to thank Charlie and Adam for donating their time and energy on what was clearly a difficult day.

For the benefit of all Juniors can I ask for all score sheets both today's and the 24th July's day to be sent to me as soon as possible so that I can publish the interim results ahead of the final leg on 11th September. Also,  details of all specimens caught and their photos and weights. 

It is important for the Juniors to see where they are placed in this interim period.

Unfortunately, having a holiday and coming back to a demanding job between comps has put me behind in chasing these things up. (that's my excuse anyway).

Well done again to all those who contributed and took part today and let's prey for better weather on the 11th September.

Greg

(PS I am still looking for a volunteer to be able to accommodate Curtis and Sophie Driver on the 11th September Leg, please contact me if anyone is able to help out - thanks)

Hi All

The competition is now well on it's way and I now have the interim results ahead of the final leg:

Species Hunt

Age Group 11 to 16 Years

Jacob Given 90 Points

Emma Simpson 81

Bradley Toms 64

Sophie Driver 40

Sam Annear 17

Age Group 10 and Under

Reuben Franklin 50

Jayden Wald 49

Blake Witheford 45

Curtis Driver 42

Amy Simpson 28

Dom Annear 26

Charlotte Samways 10

Olivia Francis 9

Christopher Samways 0

Daniel Burt 0

Jack Chapman 0

Isla Franklin 0

Top 3 Best Specimens

Jacob Givens Undulate Ray 14lb 4oz 101.79%

Bradley Toms Undulate Ray 10lb 9oz 75.45%

Sophie Driver Undulate Ray 9lb 8oz 67.86%

Well done to all the Juniors so far, as you can see it is still all to play for so lets hope for better weather on the

11th September.

Greg

Sorry Rob I think I miss read that, we only had Jayden fishing last comp with 2 rods.

Well except for the odd cast with a light spinning rod.

If we get good weather we still hope to take Jack on the 11th, it will need his Mum to look after him as he isnt 3 yet.

And if we get out of the harbour it will be hard to resist fishing a rod myself.

Hi All

Well the final leg of the Junior comp is finally upon us this Sunday. Here is the list of boats and juniors who will be taking part:-

Marlin - Bradley Toms

Alfresco - Jayden Wald and Jack Chapman

Joint Venture 2- Reuben & Isla Franklin, Olivia Francis, Dom and Sam Annear

Kingfisher - Blake Witheford, Emma and Amy Simpson

Wishing Too -Curtis and Sophie Driver

Reel Bizzy - Jacob Givens

Maverick - Daniel Burt

With so many Juniors attending I really hope the weather plays ball!!

Should in the unlikely event of the comp being weathered off the presentation will still go ahead as planned.

I am hoping that due to very little tide movement this Sunday, wind over tide should not be too much of a problem which means we may be able to fish outside the harbour should the wind gusts be borderline.

However, the ultimate decision as usual will lie with our Safety Officer.

I will post the decision on Saturday PM as usual so watch this space.

Fingers X

Greg

Hi Greg

Looking at the forecast for Sunday, have you any thoughts about starting an hour earlier while it is calmer?

We could move into the harbour later if the wind builds

There are only a few boats to confim details with, any thoughts from the other skippers/Dads/Grandads

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Unfortunately, due to tides on Sunday and the bridge lift sequence from cobbs a couple of boats will not be able to make that time, so we will keep the start time the same as usual at 9.30AM.

As Adams has stated, the weather looks good at the moment for the whole day.

Thanks,

Greg