Alderney 2016

Adam F

I've made the call to postpone with JV this time around. Not really seeing a decent window other than Sat Pm and Sunday, which isn't enough for me to get bashed around and sit on Alderney waiting for a window or fishing close in out of the wind.

I'd rather wait for a full 4 day trip when the wind allows better access.

Good luck and stay safe to those who are going over, I'll await the reports!

JV looking either to do 2 days in Portland, or possibly a local day Shambles or wrecking on Sunday.

We're thinking the same, made such a huge difference having great conditions last year that we'd prefer to be patient and wait for a better weekend. Gutted but think it's the right call.

Hope those that go have a good crossing and find lots of fish - keep us updated!

As I understand it, Madness, Alfresco and Reel Magic are looking at a later start on Friday, probably around 10'ish, to take advantage of an improving forecast and Kingfisher is also going but I don't have any timings. We are all going to Alderney until Monday. See you there.

Might I offer some suggestions based on personal experience?

While the NE winds are blowing, Bray Harbour will be uncomfortable, unless tucked in tight to the wall, and dinghy access to shore will be tricky. Lifejackets are not overkill in dinghy or harbour launch.

Locals there use a length of chain to attach to buoys in these conditions, as rope has a habit of chafing through. Just picking up moorings will be interesting, and getting secure will leave you quite exposed at the sharp end. I'd wear a life jacket and clip on while getting settled.

Mike

The boys are reporting that despite the windy morning the crossing was very good.

Alfresco opted to fish for rope but struggled. Madness found a few turbos on the banks, but reported mackerel very hard to find, but found some launce. Kingfisher did the wrecks and caught ok.

Having a good time here as we always do on Alderney, 5 club boats here plus True Blue.

Crossing was a little bumpy started at 28kts but ended up around 21 as the sea built up around mid channel, blowing a 4 to 5 from behind our port quarter with a fair old east to west swell. In the late afternoon went flat calm.

Plenty of launce on the banks but makerel few and far between. Flatty fishing has been rather slow so far to be honest, we had 5 turbos none big, 1 brill of around 5-6lb and a spider crab, retained. Other boats: some did better and some worse so far.

Just like to thank Dave for a great trip it was good to be back.

The banter in the pubs was Sooooooooo good. :D  :D  :D

Only three Turbos keepers 6 in total

One Cod

Twenty + good Pollock 

A 1lb 4oz Mackerel looked like a 3lb fish Jackie eat that monday for supper.

Good size Tub.

Only low point baitfish hard to find.

Any one need crew call me got the bug back ;)  07833051599   (Martin) :rolleyes: