fillet knifes

nightingale300

Can anyone recommend a decent fillet knife. Fed up with the mustard and normark ones as I find they loose there edge so quickly and although im always careful not to cut through spine bones ect and try not to blunt them I seem to be constantly re sharpening them. Looking to spend around £60 for a decent one.

Thanks in advance

Malcolm N

I got a cracking filleting knife from Ikea a few years ago and its still going.

Stays sharp and nice and flexable.

Stays at home never rusted either.

The only thing I've got from there any good!!

Any decent knives on the boat have ended up over the side! :(

I got a cracking filleting knife from Ikea a few years ago and its still going.

Stays sharp and nice and flexable.

Stays at home never rusted either.

To only thing I've got from there any good!!

Any decent knives on the boat have ended up over the side! :(

I posted on a thread on Facebook under the sea angling uk and someone else said about a knife from ikea.

The popular ones have been Victoric and dexter knifes as they say they stay sharp but after reading reviews on bass pro shop it seems there are pros and cons so I was wondering what our club thought and use regular.

Think I might get two from ikea chris as they have been mentioned and keep one in the tackle box and one in the kitchen and see how they go over the next 6 months and then look again if needed. Thanks

Malcolm N

O/k, I usually steer clear of hyperbole but in this instance I will make an exception. When you see a line against a product that says 'Worlds Sharpest Knife - guaranteed for life', one's first instinct is to scoff. Well, I bought a set of their knives for £29.95 (I think 5 or 6 different knives) including a Pro Fillet knife and they are brilliant. I did have one that went a little dull and they replaced it without question. The fillet knife has been used a lot, including cutting through bones and it is still as sharp as when I bought it. All I can say is, for £29.95, give it a try and, if you disagree, fell free to tell everyone. Here is the link http://tttradingltd.co.uk/product/kitchenwares/worlds-sharpest-knife-set/.

Over the years I have collected quite a variety of filletting knives (or knives that I use for filletting or bait cutting).

The oldest is a Normark Martiini stainless steel filletting knife with wooden handle and leather fully enclosed sheath.Although now showing a few rust spots it is still in regular use on the boat and is 45years old and very sharp.

The knife I purchased for my home filletting is a Herbetz  Marttiini teflon coated knife with a section of saw blade on the back of the blade.It has a blue plastic handle and sheath and is very flexible and light.

It cost about £35.00.(It is not perfect by any means as it is easy to lose control of the razor sharp blade and take off too much flesh)

A stiffer less sharp blade definately has some advantages at times

In between these two are a multitude of cheap or "bargain " purchases including 10 off Reground commercial filletting/boning knives for £28 and a £6 Mustad.

Everyone of these knives is very useable and some are kept Razor Sharp and continue to hold a good edge.

My recommendation is that you invest not in the knife but in a decent easy to use sharpening system such as the Lansky

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lansky-deluxe-5-stone-knife-sharpening-system-/221557332210?_trksid=p2054897.l5672

With this you can reprofile and put as fine an edge on ALL your blades as you want. (It can be quite Theraputic)

My Mustad is razor sharp now and holds an edge.

Whatever you do do not use the V Notch tungsten carbide /ceramic sharpeners on your knives .they will ruin the blades

Peteg

Victorinox, the peeps who make Swiss Army Knives make very good fillet knives. You can find them on-line or in good professional kitchen suppliers. Many a fish monger use these. Coupled with a good sharpening system they are hard to beat.

As you've seen very much down to personal preference.

I've had a wooden Martini, great knife, but I was gutted when it bounced over the side... £40 gone.

My fav has been the Storm yellow handled ones but they aren't made any longer. For me it's not always about how sharp but how they feel. Al like them long and bendy, il like them short and stiff, more like a boning knife.

I know have a collection in my box and use all of them. Buy a selection and don't spend a fortune would be my advise.

Btw. My 'kitchen' filleting knife is a storm knife... I sharpen it with one of those pull through worlds best sharpener type jobbies.

I find it hard to believe that there are knives out there that do not loose there edge at all, but then again I do not pay £40.00 or more for mine. [i was presented with the last two as club prizes]

I carry several and usually swap over when one looses its edge, sharpening with a steel works for a while, but sooner or later they have to be sharpened properly on a stone as I like them to be sharp.

• 5 months later...