What about Weymouth

Maverick Martin

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kam - sounds good - have you been out? If so what is the prefered technique to catch some fish fingers in a slippery package?

Rob

It was supposed to be a half and half bass and bream trip. The bass didn't play ball so spent some of the bass time on cod and turbot result in 4 cod in 3 drifts and 3 turbot in 2 drifts.

The breaming was bad too, wished we had spent the bream time on the cod too, but others wanted to go breaming.

Good luck to all those going to Weymouth for the week-end.

The weather looks reasonable and I am sure they will be a few good stories to report.

Don't forget that the club waters are up to Portland Bill, anything caught West does not count if you bag a monster for the club records. wink.gif

Good hunting and I hope not too many have sore heads on Sunday biggrin.gif

Dave

cool.gif

Hi Kev

If you are coming around and want to join us in the restaurant you are welcome mate biggrin.gif

I have enough berths booked and am sure we will have no problem with the restaurant

text me and I will sort out when I get there

07887 794716

just going to the boat so will not be on line

charlie biggrin.gif

I went down to Weymouth to fish aboard Alfresco just for the day.

Had a wondeful time and we had some good fishing!

I caught 2 Ling, one of 12bs the other 17lb 5 oz plus a load of quality bream.

a good variety of fishing, good company and a great boat made for a very enjoyablle day.

Im sure Charlie will provide a full report of his weekend when he gets back

user posted image

Charlies went 19 1/2 i think

user posted image

Well done Charlie and lots of thanks from Bobi and myself for a really great trip.

It looked like we wouldn't make it at the begining of last week as we still didn't have anywhere to sleep on the boat but with some plastic boards and a couple of saw trestles we were sorted.

I had to work Fri morning so we had a late start, we got off the mooring at 16:15 and headed off to Weymouth with the intention to fish on the way for some bait ready for Sat morning. We had a leasurly cruise at around 12knots along the coast and we really enjoyed the views, so much so that we didn't bother going for bait. We hugged the coast all the way as Bobi wanted to have a look at Weymouth from the water, but when we were off Lulworth Bobi decided she would like a snooze. So the trip into Weymouth was binned and I headed across to Portland. As we got near to Portland we could hear that the boats were already in the marina. So we headed for the entrance to the harbour and called up the marina to find out where to birth.

As we headed across towards the marina we were joined by Serenity. It turned out neither of us new where the entrance was so a quick call by Tony to Charlie pointed us in the right direction. As Adam said, wow what a marina, this is the first marina we have been in and it will take some beating. We joined the rest of the boats and moored up with no problem with the help of the guys and were shown how to tie up to avoid the fenders squeaking in the night.

We had a stream of visitors to look at our nice new boat. We really enjoyed showing her off.

The evening has been reported elsewhere so all we need to say is it was a brilliant night good curry and great company.

We were up and showered early and thanks to Tony we had a cuppa (I forgot the kettle). We were off at a reasonable time to the Shambles, buddied up with Serenity. We stopped just short of the rough stuff to catch some bait this is when yesterdays mistake became apparent, should have stopped on the way. The macs didn't appear in numbers we got a couple and would carry on feathering while we drifted. We were in front of Serenity and nearer the rough stuff I whimped out and went around behind Serenity and watched how it was done. The drifts were set up and off we went. Not far into the first drift Serenity had a fish on the boat. So with expectations high we drifted on, three drifts later still no fish (weavers don't count).

Those of you that know the Shambles know that there is a bouy with a bell, we had been drifting down to this bouy and just past on the first three drifts. We ran back up for another drift and I had a bite, gave it line for a bit lifted into it and was into something heavier than a weaver. Up it came, in the net and up onto the deck the first Turbot on Boblin (just under 4lb). We were still admiring the fish when Bobi looked up and saw the bouy with the bell clanging away, everything was dropped fish, rod, scales and stuff I ran for the cabin and only had time to start one engine and blip us away from the bouy with the bell, we had been hearing that bloody bell for so long we had tuned it out. We tried different drifts throughout the day but ended up with just the one.

It was time to go back in and get ready for the evening. It was a great evening, great food and great company. Good call Charlie and thanks again. It was really good to be with other club members and their better halves.

We were up and ready Sunday morning for the next trip which was to be a wreck trip, our first. The weather had different ideas. A call from Martin on Maverick, who had left earlier, to say it was a bit lumpy out further. So change of plan Kimmeridge for bait , no problem today, then of to the banks for Bass. Of course this meant going past St Albans. This was to be a real test of Boblin and my boat handling. I have never driven a boat in such big seas and was quite nervous. We followed Serenity into the rough stuff the waves were so high we kept losing sight of her in the troughs. Bobi did really well and didn't scream once. I felt like screaming a couple of times but I couldn't scream before Bobi could I !!? We came through the other side without mishap and we now have full faith in our little boat and know that she will cope with anything thrown at her.

We decided not to head to the banks as the swell was too much for us. We bid our goodbyes to Serenity and headed off to use our worms up somewhere off of Bournemouth. The trip was still hairy and at times we were surfing over twenty knots, scary and exciting. We made it to Bournemouth, had a few drifts, but didn't get much, so decided to go into the harbour and pick up a mooring and clean and tidy the boat and fish for a while longer. We had a few checkers and a Bream but no flats.

By the time we had got to the pontoon cleaned and emptied the boat got the boat on the mooring and got all the kit to the Land Rover and then home, it was 2000hrs. We were home shattered but really pleased with the fantastic weekend we had had.

This weekend was a learning curve and one important thing I learned was that I must make sure I put more air in Bobi's air mattress, or else!!!! wink.gif

Our thanks to Tony and Rob for buddying up with us it was great. Role on the next away trip.

Colin and Bobi

PS Thanks again Charlie tell Wendy if you are going to leave her behind again she is welcome to a lift on Boblin wink.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

Hi All

Apologies if anyone is feeling left out with all the talk of last weekends jolly to Portland

But it was a good trip, well worth talking about and all were invited.

I will put up another forum topic showing some pictures, if the boat owners want an emailed copy of any let me know.

I will try and put a link to the gallery so you can have a look at all of the ones I have reduced in size and added

Post note link failed so look under great white and Portland album on the Gallery

Charlie biggrin.gif