My rig making & welding knots

Hooky

2 hours ago, Tarlach. said:

That is an interesting bit of kit. I’ve certainly never seen it before. However is it really needed? If you have troubles with that knot slipping then maybe it’s not been tied properly or you need a different knot? 

Yes I need it , Im useless at tying knots, breaking my glasses etc 🤓

2 minutes ago, great white said:

Have a look at a polymar knot

very strong and simple, can be bulky but not as bad as a knot and glue

Yes the palomar knot, Great White is spot on, probably the simplest knot to tie and also one of the strongest, the double palomar is about 15% stronger but slightly bulkier.

If you want something simple yet bomb proof for thicker, stiffer lines, this is one I picked up in the States years ago, no idea what it is called but it has never let me down. rather than try to explain it, I found this vid and it describes it perfectly.

Can’t see the thumb not video ?

I have been practicing knots all afternoon, far better than going out ! , this cold weather puts far too much breaking strain on my bladder 😂

More special (🤭) rigs made today, Please feel free to laugh at my attempts.

14 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Can’t see the thumb not video ?

I have been practicing knots all afternoon, far better than going out ! , this cold weather puts far too much breaking strain on my bladder 😂

More special (🤭) rigs made today, Please feel free to laugh at my attempts.

Ha, Ha, Ha!!! Can't resist an invitation.

Terry.

That is the Thumb knot

I was taught that at the conger championship many years ago, by a huge chap that used to treat is as a party trick, tying a 12/0 hook to 400lb mono, then towing the pub benches about with people sat on them.

I have taught that to Members after monthly meetings and on the boat loads of times.

100% success with that knot, has never let me down, when serious fishing and on thicker lines I always use it.

as with all knots , the more they are used the easier they are to tie.

that said I tied some tuna traces with big circle hooks using this knot and the boat skipper refused to use them, insisting that circle hooks should be snelled on. doing that with 150lb mono takes practice. But I retied the lot before day 2.

Look forward to when we can have meetings again and share some of these skils

Charlie