Fixed Spool Reel

plaicemat

Ok all you tackle tarts, what's a good fixed spool reel for light spinning and for, say plaice? Thinking of 12 - 15lb line. Most of mine are used in foreign warm waters and are too big for purpose.

12 hours ago, alun j. said:

My favourite is the 'old school'  Shimano Baitrunner. Smooth, tough and reliable.

Also one of mine. I have one I use already and another for salmon spinning, perhaps I'll nominate that for sea fishing and get a new one for the salmon.

3 hours ago, great white said:

I use cheaper Rovex 3000 or 4000 reels for that type of fishing.

when they get rough I tend to just replace them

Funnily for holidays I have much more expensive ones. Fin Nor Offshore spins and Quantom Cabot

I have some expensive ones bought in when I visit Florida that I use as 'holiday' reels, far too good for everyday use.

I picked up a nice Mitchell fixed spool from Andy at poole sea angling a couple of weeks was about £30.00 ish, we use it  for most of our general light fishing fixed to a Shakespeare GX2 spinning rod, which I use for most of our drift fishing.

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Freddie said:

I have always used Mitchell’s 300, 306 and 386, they have never let me down in the last 50 odd years.

Wash them down, lubricate them and they will last you a lifetime.

I used to use Mitchell and Intrepid reels 50 odd years ago for coarse fishing but now mostly go for Shimano Baitrunners, I was just wondering if there is anything with new innovations that I should be looking at. It would appear not so I will probably stick to what I know but thanks for the input.

4 hours ago, jerry.shutter said:

No reel too expensive to use😜 use and enjoy, wash polish and enjoy again😀😀😀

Starting to see this logic Jerry. I have good ones and very good ones that were bought on or for holidays. Where they get limited use over a short period of time.

I get home clean polish and oil them up before drying and putting them away

Then for the rest of the year I use old or cheaper ones

Except for the size and weight of the offshore reels this defies logic