Blue fin tuna fishing

crazy fred

Well it looks like I'm off to Falmouth next week weather permitting to go tuna fishing . The logistics are not good 308 mile round trip 1540 ltr plus the fishing but hey ho never caught a tuna in British waters yet . Crew already sorted three of us going so just need the weather gods and good reports with us. Here is a report from this week

Sighting 2016

October 26th

Another FIN-TASTIC day as we have FIVE different interactions with Common Dolphins, and FOUR different interactions with Harbour Porpoise, incredible!!!! We also had a GIANT FIN WHALE sighted to us today in the Bay, WOW!! Plus we also had MULTIPLE GIANT BLUEFIN TUNA from NINE interactions, including some individuals which were EIGHT to NINE FOOTERS, around 750-850 LBS! Woweee!!! We also recorded a wonderful diversity of bird species, including 5 ARCTIC SKUAS, JUVENILE LITTLE TERN, COMMON SCOTERS and a DRAKE SURF SCOTER!! Such a fabulous, exciting and truly SPECTACULAR wildlife day

Don't know how you fight an 800lbs tuna on 50 class gear stood up it makes the mind boggle .

Haha, 800lb Tuna, 50lb boat rod, no chance, that would be Crazy Fred

I hooked a big shark off Kenya on a plug, played from a fighting chair for all I was worth for 4 hours, never even saw it, totally knackered myself. That was on something like 50lb gear, we broke the line in the end trying at least to get a sight of it. Skipper said probably a tiger between 500 and 1000lb.

The very best of luck Fred, but I suggest you step up the gear.

I didn't see any off porthleven a couple of weeks ago, we thought we had found them with all the birds but the birds were over a dolphin super pod.

I think the tend to be within a mile of the shore. Round there.

Not sure re Falmouth bay.

Good luck, hope you get to do a lot of reversing to chase em down!

Good luck Fred,

Sounds like an exciting trip! All I know is that the only tuna I have actually got to the boat was a baby YFT on 80lbs gear which dug its heels in at 30ft from the boat and took me another 10 minutes to move it 30ft and it was only 150lbs ish, lost others on 120class gear but nothing in the 750 league. I cannot wait to hear your report, in my humble opinion Tuna are the meanest toughest gits in the sea!!!

No backing up on them, proper skippers don't do that

I thought the only Tuna around here was on Tesco's shelf ! !

We always say that the larger Mackerel are good fun on light gear.

I'm trying to multiply that up in my head to the size of fish you're looking at.

WOW ! I hope you get at least one each.

Good luck. ;)

Jim