Barracuda species competition

Maverick Martin

I think PBSBAC could have a good chance, being home waters, if we put forward our most skilled and experienced team(s).

Should our Spring Species Hunt be used to select the top anglers, and maybe our A-Team and B-Team?

Or should we use a different method to pick the best team players rather than individuals?

Do we have skippers who might volunteer to help, so they can win the prize for themselves (plus one)?

We'll be against teams of England anglers who will work together efficiently to find the most species for the team on the day. If we can't do that, we'll be shut out of the top places.

Mike

I think approach to an open competition like this wrong.

If a group of individuals want to organise themselves into a team, ok but to start saying make Team A & B in my opinion is not under the ethos of the PBSBAC.

I have no problem with competitive individuals but to start making an elite team or two within the club could, in my opinion, have a negative impact on the club. A bit of friendly rivalry is one thing but having a "elite group" is totally another.

Firstly there would need to be a team manager who picks the teams, then are the teams allowed to fish as a team in club competitions? If so I suspect the number of people who sign up for a competition will reduce even more as the thought of "what's the point entering" may arise. You would need to be careful of "favouritism" and how would the "team" be selected. I am sure a single result of any club comp would not be sufficient.

I am making an assumption but with a 200+ membership I suspect the majority of members want to going out on a boat to relax, enjoy the fresh air and if you catch a fish or two an even better day was had.

I understand that entering competitions may improve ones skill, but some just like to be out on the water and fish in a stress less way.

As you may have gathered I am against this Club Master Team suggestion.

Dave

We do have competitive anglers within the club so why not have a club team.  Life is a competition, some folks are better at it than others, some you win some you lose.  I would have no problem with anyone setting up a team but the emphasis would be from my stand point. "them setting it up" as like you Dave I just want to go fishing and chill, I take my stress pills in the week, at the week end I just want chill pills.

Lets not over complicate an open competition especially as it's not run by us.

As an aside I just remembered we used to use club competitions to select a "club champion" who then went forward to represent our club in a national competition organised by Boat Fishing Magazine which was then owned by Jim Whippy.  James Parker represented us for a couple of years and won prizes both times.   One time he won a 70hp Suzuki (competition sponsors) outboard for himself and £750 for the club.  I think it was 2004 the year of the big Asian tsunami.  As a club we did not need the money so it was donated to the Tsunami relief fund.  On hearing this Suzuki doubled our cheque to £1500

I can't see a problem with a "Team", or two, fishing this comp. I can't see it making any difference to how they fish as individuals in our own comps.

Entry is free if fishing on a Beneteau, there are 4 in the club!!!!!! 

• 2 months later...

Neal took Stuie, George and I out on Court Jester to make up a team of four in the Beneteau Barracuda Tour species comp. Points were awarded for different named species, with the bigger beasts getting most, falling to one for the unlisted mini-species.

With a chance of SE 4s and 5s later, we knew it risked being hard work. We left after registration, and quickly proved the harbour to be full of red weed, which draped rigs very quickly.

Early, the sea was calm, and we targeted rays at first, hoping to get our points up. Neal got us started with a nice bream which was photographed alongside the registration card, shortly followed by a doggy for our second species. Alas, the angler in question (not mentioning names here, it's a family show ;) ) threw it back as normal...and forgot to evidence it. This then became the topic for a running series of comments throughout the day. Strangely, no rays appeared, and after a short while, we had no choice but to move.

Our second ray mark produced a few small-eyed and blonde ray, with all of getting at least one, plus a bonus bass for "Double-Shot" Stuie, and a whiting for George. Other deeper water species failed to show, and we moved on again, next targeting conger on a rocky reef. A 3lb 2oz bream to me was my best fish of the year, Stuie caught a few pout, and we all caught doggies, to the great relief of a certain person. Not mentioning any names :D

By now the tide was on the ebb, the wind was picking up, and the next series of banks we tried to drift, but it was too fast with wind and ebb tide together.

Poole Patch was clearly one of the favourite marks for the comp. Neal squeezed us into a nice gap, and we all added to the species tally, with Pollack, and a cluster of 5 different wrasses. Neal's Baillon's Wrasse was gorgeous! It didn't take long to stop catching new species, and as the Goldsinny count increased, it was clear we had to move.

An inshore session quickly produced Plaice, Tub Gurnard, and a bonus Grey Gurnard for me, and a second drift failed to find anything new, so we went back on the ray hunt, hoping for an Undulate and Spotted, or even a Smoothound, but as before we blanked. Conditions were now deteriorating rapidly. The ebb tide was strong, the increasing SE wind was causing short steep breaking waves across tide, we were taking many beam on, and keeping balance was increasingly difficult. We later found a trawler has been working the inshore banks this week, and probably didn't leave too many behind.

As the time left shrank rapidly, we tried a couple of spots in the harbour, but the combination of wind, ebb tide, chocolate coloured water and weed beat us. Our last scoring fish was at 2.45, so the last few hours were hard work. It's difficult to know what we could have done that would have been more effective, and we were all pleased we had got out further while it was calm in the morning.

The clubhouse at Cobb's was packed when we arrived, with weather-beaten faces and big grins. The entry fee covered a free drink, and a bowl of Cobb's finest curry/chilli.which was all piping hot. Dave Wilson kicked off the prize giving, and we were all surprised when Neal was asked to go forward as skipper of Court Jester. We had come 6th out of 19 boats with 16 species, and we each had prizes of a free Navionics App for smart phone or tablet. A succession of steadily improving prizes were awarded with Crazy Fred and crew getting top spot. I think 5 out of the top 6 boats were from PBSBAC, but I'll let others give these details.

A great day out again on Court Jester, with smiles all around. Thanks Neal plus thanks to sponsors and organisers!

Mike

Well done Mike and all others who took part, it was a fun day and not easy at times with wind and tide playing a big part in targeting higher point scoring fish! Star crew was Jerry S who managed a spotted, small eyed, and blonde Ray in the day with other oddments, Henry Giddings first trip at the age of 11 had a Smooth hound pup and his dad managed a mackerel, skipper managed an undulate and some oddments. We really struggled with all those species we normally cuss!!

More by luck than judgement we were placed 5th I think, unfortunately I came over a bit rough and did not witness the awards, I believe it was shock at Niggle telling us how many species he had when coming back into the marina!!!!!!!! Such a gent!!!!!

A really fun event with great organisation from Dave,Kerry and Mr Barracuda, and the food which looked and smelt great which I missed but the clubhouse will have great roses next year!!

Thankyou all organisers.

Wishin crew had no practice just a basic plan that didn't work for ages, I think our first fish was about 9.50 and a doggy.Crew fished hard and done loads better than me.Its still early and the big tide made it interesting to say the least,also my anchoring hindered our species count.The weed was bad in the harbour and training bank but we slowly picked up fish but felt frustrated most of the day.We had a few laughs especially when Dogfish Dave went flying from sitting on his box on top of the engine box when drifting.He went crashing to the deck and dropped his Tubertini over the side but Chris was quick as a flash caught it with his rod tip,bet Daves got a few bruises today.We all caught starfish and we could see the bites!!!Also Chris caught a big lobster.......never seen Dave move so fast to get the net but she was full of eggs so went back.

We were all knackered and I was disappointed with my anchoring etc but it is a team event and as a team we done good with 17 species and 3rd overall with only 1 point between 2nd and 3rd.

Well done to all who took part Fred for winning, John and crew (Kelly's Hero) 2nd and the Jerry's on there first species comp......brilliant result guys.

Wishin crew had no practice just a basic plan that didn't work for ages, I think our first fish was about 9.50 and a doggy.Crew fished hard and done loads better than me.Its still early and the big tide made it interesting to say the least,also my anchoring hindered our species count.The weed was bad in the harbour and training bank but we slowly picked up fish but felt frustrated most of the day.We had a few laughs especially when Dogfish Dave went flying from sitting on his box on top of the engine box when drifting.He went crashing to the deck and dropped his Tubertini over the side but Chris was quick as a flash caught it with his rod tip,bet Daves got a few bruises today.We all caught starfish and we could see the bites!!!Also Chris caught a big lobster.......never seen Dave move so fast to get the net but she was full of eggs so went back.

We were all knackered and I was disappointed with my anchoring etc but it is a team event and as a team we done good with 17 species and 3rd overall with only 1 point between 2nd and 3rd.

Well done to all who took part Fred for winning, John and crew (Kelly's Hero) 2nd and the Jerry's on there first species comp......brilliant result guys.

we had a few star fish as well + a big edible crab, well done on your third place.

We had a starfish too - Neal wanted a picture - hadn't seen one before!!!!!

Wonder if the invasion of starfish will be followed by any fish feeding on them? Not brittle stars but...

it's weird I have caught loads over the years but can not ever remember getting any out of Poole before? Not sure it is a very good sign I know they eat all the mussels that the plaice feed on, although where we had ours I have never had Plaice or for that matter mussels