Alderney 2014 6th June take 3

Matt

Great report Kev, you got it spot on.

Can only add how we did over the few days.

The ride over was for us was alot slower but we just kept going and the weather got better so headed in to Alderney to fuel up and check boat was ok.

All ok so off around the banks as we were so keen to get going.

Plenty of bait fish, pollock, lsd but nothing to keep but a bonus few hours fishing.

Friday to the banks and a steady few turbo's some keepers, I then had a Brill around 4lb (PB). :)

There was a few other species, tub gurnard, weevers and plenty of baitfish.

Back in and of course the social side of Alderney!!

And then snoring comp back at the B&B!

Not sure who won but it may of been between myself and Dave, lucky we were sharing a room, a nce touch Alderney Angling put ear pugs on the beds for you, cracking.

Off to the banks on Saturday and perfect weather, seeing Reel Magic disappear in the distance on the way there.

A cracking boat and what a great start for her, a day old and in Alderney well done Dave. ;)

Turbo's on the first drift and a steady run allday,

Alun got the biggest around 9lb and I got my biggest 8lb (PB) :) so pleased.

Alun also got a couple of nice Brill  the biggest over 5lb, best bite of the day.

Dave and Kev were doing well getting the bigger fish on the same drift but must of been having the new boat god looking down on them! :D

Sunday off home via the wrecks, we left earlier than Reel Magic but it didnt take long before we were being overtaken by smiling Dave and waving Kev ;)

Not long before the first cod was on board having taken a launce bait, what fun on the wrecks.

Had an almighty hit on the way down on the perk and rod belt double and line going at a rate!! Started to get some line back before the battle on continued. :( As we difted away with a battle in progress the line started to go away from the boat and two fish appeared on the surface away from the boat, reeled them in a 19lb cod on the perk foul hooked in its back and a 10lb pollock on the flyer! :unsure: Now where is the fun in that?

A steady run of fish on various wrecks and a lovely run home on some huge swells helping, 19.8kts was max for us, must get a bigger engine to keep up with Dave.

Thanks Alun for the constant flow of Earl Grey and being galley slave for the trip dealing with lunches and all the tips on prepping fish and recipe ideas.

Cheers Dave and Kev for the company and buddy boat duties. ;)

One last thing, after the black back spines are cut off a weever to make them safe to use as bait so they dont sting go careful they still sting with the spine on their gills, one got me as I emptied the bait well so go careful with them. :angry:

Sorry its a mega long report!!!!

post-1189-0-84198500-1402361143_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-04623800-1402361150_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-57076800-1402361156_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-22299900-1402361162_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-53686200-1402362005_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-80560800-1402362011_thumb.jpg

So pleased it was a good trip after all the effort and no little stress with the weather and all. Great to see the big ones come out and Dave doing a top maiden trip.

I'm still planning to go in early July, although I have been told we don't need any more Pollock....

I'm not sure about using weaver fish as bait, is it worth the risk?

I Read the weaver as bait thing years ago and could never find the article again. So on the 2012 trip when I was on Alfresco I mentioned it! As you can imagine, the usual pee pee taking occurred. So I dropped one down, boom, biggest turbot of the trip across all boats I think!

Ok so they work, thats good to know, thanks.

I've never caught one that I remember, how do you catch them on the banks?

Just let your launce feathers somewhere near the bottom and the little beggars grab them faster than you can say knife. Good luck with your quest in weavering, just keep your mitts away from the spine. I've seen the result of a weaver sting, not at all pleasant ...