There's something big in the bay!

JIMBOB

Hi all , I ventured out yesterday for the first time this season in search of a cod, not happy after finding my boat had been pelted with stones and two Windows smashed! :( :( then after clearing up the glass on deck we crept out as far as the dolphin bank a bit later than planned.weather was crap, rain and a bit windy Dropped down two large whole cuttlefish and after only a couple of minutes one Rod bucked over with a savage bite, I was reeling in in to check the bait when the other Rod, doubled over and was peeling off line, I grabbed the Rod as was connected to something in a different league to anything I've hooked before it preceded to empty my spool off 40 lb braid, 20 lb class ugly stick with a tld15, drag was pretty tight, to tight as it turned out it snapped my braid just a couple of inches from the reel just before it reached the backing 150 yards of whiplash lost :( it shook its head a few times but other than that it was a high speed run with amazing acceleration!!! Would have dearly loved to see it, other than that only a couple of congers and a suspected cod lost half way up, never mind hope to get another weather Window soon.

We all have a few theories about these fish that run hard and spool anglers

If it was earlier in the year a shark would be the top choice

At this time of year I start to think about the barn door skate that used to be caught south of the island

As you say it would be great to get a closer look at one of these beasts

Sorry to hear about the windows on your boat mate, if the culprit is found perhaps someone could drop him off by the dolphin bank to feed the big fish

Hope to see you out there soon

Charlie

James.

I am very sorry to hear about Dawn Raider.

I took my Grand kids to Christchurch earlier in the year and pointed her out to them. She looked lovely.

It leaves a horrible feeling when this sort of thing happens. :angry:  :angry:

Jim

As for the fish - - - - - - I'm always failing to catch that BIG fish ! !  - - - - -  or that Small fish ! - - - - or ANY flipping fish.

Maybe next time eh ? ;)

I did think shark when it was on but it could have been anything really,but it was the speed it accelerated that was what broke me off, not happy with the whiplash, great for getting the lead down in tide but to thin and easily frayed, I had a 50lb 12 ft shockleader too and it didn't break on the knots! , just the power there was quite awesome! My Rod reel and line felt completely under gunned, and was almost waiting for the line to part or run out!, mark said shall I bouy the anchor just as it broke,but even if he had and didn't brake, it would have been to late.shame tho my other Rod onboard that I think it hit first was a 30 lb ugly with a tld 20 and 50 lb viros braid that should have stood a chance! Sods law that, bottom line is if you want to get one of these unseen monsters, your going to have some sort of boat plan to do some quick thinking and actions to get the boat off the anchor and after it! Hope I'm more ready if it happens again! :)

When Dan hooked his big porgie, 4 of us were fishing a rod each.

In a way we were lucky that on its first run dans braid cut through mine and wills lines, which meant we could quickly buoy off the anchor while gordon wound in.

I have a small buoy permanently tied on the inner end of my anchor warp, it stays in the bottom of the rope locker. This buoy does not pass through the alderney ring that we use.

So all we have to do is undo the belay on the cleat and chuck the line overboard, start the engine and chase the fish.

That tip may help others.

But I think that I have only had to buoy an anchor about three or four times in the past twenty years, of fishing for specimen fish from my own boat.

You have all probably seen Totally Awsome fishing on YouTube , very nice thresher just off the island.

I have no idea how long they hang around but I have seen a couple on the surface just off the pier, (1986)not that un-common

Can anyone put the YouTube link please.

What is this obsession of needing bigger boats?

Size doesn't matter, or so I am regularly told!

With a tiddler you can be towed about tiring the fish, bit like the yellow barrels in that film!!!

But didn't the barrels go under the water as well ? ? ? :huh:  :mellow:

Jim

A few years ago when fishing the spoil grounds there was a loud bang and one of my rods flew off the boat never to be seen again it was so fast not a chance to save it needless to say the reel was not quite set up right but lesson learned 

something big and fast

graham