Alderney 2012

plaicemat

With much regret, Rosie One is withdrawn. Boat is up for sale and I may not have it next month.

Many apologies for mucking Dave about. Perhaps someone can offer him a berth

John

Sorry to hear that John

I hope that it is nothing to bad forcing the sale.

I know that you and Dave enjoyed your trip last year.

Charlie biggrin.gif

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Tony D 1,4,9

2. Martin B 1,4,9

3. Craig 2,4,8

4.Ashley 2,4,8

5.Ben 2,4,9

6 Alun J. 3, 4, 8.

7 Peter 1,4,9

8 Rob F 3,4,9

9 Paul D 2,4,7

10 Steve S 2,4,7

11. Paul F 3, 4, 8

12, Duncan 2, 4, 9

13, Graham 3,4, 8

14, Greg 2,4,7.

15 Dave E 2,4,8

16 Paul Simmonds 3,4,8

17 Mark Sterne 1,4,8

18 kev 2,4,7

19 Nigel 3,4,8

20 Dean Burt 1,4,9

21 Matt 1,4,9

22 Gordon H 2,4,7

Lots of posts about food! Where's all the fishing planning gone?

At least you'll eat well!

You are right Adam

I expect it is our supertitious nature, that makes us believe too much advance planning will only upset the weather gods

I expect that there is a fair bit going on "Behind the scenes"

Only a month away from making a weather decision now biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

I would like to thank everyone for the kind offers for a seat on the forth comming Alderney trip, however due to personal circumstance I am now not able to make this trip, however I hope that sometime in the future that I can make a return trip.

Thanks again for the offers

Dave

cool.gif

I expect it is our supertitious nature, that makes us believe too much advance planning will only upset the weather gods

I expect that there is a fair bit going on "Behind the scenes"

Only a month away from making a weather decision now biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

i am not doing any planning because i dont want to go , i have not preped the boat or tested it or filled it with 100 gallons of engine juice i have not got new rods and reels and certainly wont be planning on moving the boat to poole soon so i cant be ready to go, with all this lack of planning no one (or thing) can possibly have noticed i am not planning it so it cant mess it up, Can it?

Nearly time to start the 21 day forecast countdown on met check!

I'll be released not to have the sleepless nights worrying about the weather this year.... But jealous as hell! And I'll have the sleepless nights for a different reason!

I'll be released not to have the sleepless nights worrying about the weather this year.... But jealous as hell! And I'll have the sleepless nights for a different reason!

I'll try and catch one for you Ad, I will just leave the rod and wind you one in at the end of a drift!

I'll try and catch one for you Ad, I will just leave the rod and wind you one in at the end of a drift!

and just in case anyone is unsure i am not planning to catch anything so i can not put it on the ice i am not planning to cart across the channel!

One slight negative for us, I have picked up from another popular social interaction site that Tom B. will no longer be coming with us due to a work conflict. Oh well! No shortage of space. All we will need is an able bodied crew to handle any tope we don't fish for.

I'm disappointed, Tom.

Terry.

At the risk of getting people talking about fishing and weather etc.

What exactly are we likely to need on this trip. I'm talking equipment here.

What type of fishing are we likely to be doing? What does a Turbot rig consist of?? I'm assuming that the very strong tides will require heavy weights and heavy gear?

Or am I completely wrong?

K.I.S.S. You will mostly be encountering turbot (hopefully) and possibly tope and or sporting pollack and bass. Also, of course, feathering gear for mackerel and launce which will mean shrimp lures. You will further require a selection of pirks/shads for wrecking on the way home with flying collar set up or your usual choice.. For the turbot you will just need a supply of 5/0 - 6/0 hooks and Amnesia or preferably flourocarbon trace material and sandeel/jellyworm type lures on light spinning gear for the pollack and bass. A selection of weights including watch leads of 4, 6 & 8oz. Depending on tides, possibly heavier weights for wrecking

Just about does it apart from your usual supplies. Others will probably add or detract from this list but that just about does it for me. Oh! And money for beer and food.

Terry.

Edited by plaicemat

What type of fishing are we likely to be doing?

What does a Turbot rig consist of??

I'm assuming that the very strong tides will require heavy weights and heavy gear?

Or am I completely wrong?

what do you want to do? generally we will drift, and on the banks I use a light 6ft rod with calcutta 400, 20lb braid and a 40lb fluro leader - 3oz lead. tope on the drift too - your choice of gear weight for them, did hook what we thought must be a porgy once off speedy though....and the possibility of drifting a few wrecks on the way back.

turbot rigs are anything designed to drift with a strip of mackeral or a live bait on or near the bottom - running ledger or portland rigs do this well. bait presentation is the key (from cutting, hooking, trace length and 'working it' - plus being in the right place at the right time) unsure.gif

er....basically no rolleyes.gif

of course not!

1. Tony D 1,4,9

2. Martin B 1,4,9

3. Craig 2,4,8

4.Ashley 2,4,8

5.Ben 2,4,9

6 Alun J. 3, 4, 8.

7 Peter 1,4,9

8 Rob F 3,4,9

9 Paul D 2,4,7

10 Steve S 2,4,7

11. Paul F 3, 4, 8

12, Duncan 2, 4, 9

13, Graham 3,4, 8

14, Greg 2,4,7.

15 Dave E 2,4,8

16 Paul Simmonds 3,4,8

17 Mark Sterne 1,4,8

18 kev 2,4,7

19 Nigel 3,4,8

20 Dean Burt 1,4,9

21 Matt 1,4,9

22 Gordon H 2,4,7

23 Charlie

24 Dan

25 Gordon M

26 Nick

27 Oli

28 Tim

29 Duncan (Sweet Chariot)

30 Bob

Manta Ray ?

A quick bump. Can the last people please append their menu choices so I can finalise with the restaurant.

Many thanks.

Terry.

1. Tony D 1,4,9

2. Martin B 1,4,9

3. Craig 2,4,8

4.Ashley 2,4,8

5.Ben 2,4,9

6 Alun J. 3, 4, 8.

7 Peter 1,4,9

8 Rob F 3,4,9

9 Paul D 2,4,7

10 Steve S 2,4,7