28) Mike 02380 + Mick B (Barney) on R2D2

29) Gordon Elder & Cameron Elder (non member) on Wilful

30) Martin cherritt & non member on Branco

31) Dennis Bawdon and 2 non-members on Sea Bee

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose everybody is returning now with their boats stuffed to the gunnels with huge cod. I'm very jealous, all I've done is had a nice walk and a large roast lunch preceded by a German beer, accompanied by a very acceptable Chablis and followed by coffee and a nap. Just think, I could have been out on a mirror like sea hauling in big ones. Oh well! Next time.

Terry.

Terry ... it was FAR FROM mirror like!!

I have just got back, i'm not full to the gunnels with fat cod (plenty of whiting tho). I had one large conger (around 30LB) about a million doggies, a few pout, lots of whiting and we dropped 2 big fish (probably congers but we would like to believe cod). I'll let the others post their catches.

Oh yeah, at one point we heard someone on the radio say they counted 84 boats off the needles!!

Edited by Graham Nash

Nothing on the cod front for JoJo. Though my crew who used to do the odd bit of fishing was well chuffed with a conger of 18.5lb, his previous best fish was less than 5lb.

I only counted 73 boats without bins!

I'd of rather stayed at home mind you, horrible lumpy sea!

Rob

This is a post on behalf of Martin Cherritt (Branco on forum)

Martin had one cod of 25lb 2oz when weighed back at

mudeford slip ohmy.gif

His crew non member had one of 14lb.

I suggested he fish the mark i caught 3 cod last thursday

and he took my advice weep.gif

Well done Martin very good cod on a little boat biggrin.gif

MIKE

Hard goning DR today! sat it out to last knockings, one conger and the usual bits and bobs inc a large rockling! not a sniff from a cod tho,

I counted 67 boats at one point with more turning up!

well done to those who found a cod or two, a couple of nice fish caught by the looks of it smile.gif

James

I manage a Cod of 20lb 1oz Today and lots of dogs. Thats 2 cod in the same week. We decided not to visit the car park and stayed a bit closer to home.

Cod

If someone can turn this link into a photo i would appreciate it.

Mick B

user posted image

Edited by Maverick

We managed flat cod (thornback), long cod (conger), sandpaper cod (LSD), and poxy cod (pout) but no real cod smile.gif

What a horrible sea! And sooo many boats, including one that anchored 20 meters uptide of us then proceeded to drag past us....

Still, managed to navigate via the new radar through the peasouper at Hurst, so it wasn't a completely duff day

Well done to those that managed to catch.

Edited by ChrisE

Similar tale to others for us on Joint Venture......

...a bumpy trip over to the Island; no fog and the mist soon dispersed.

Lots and lots of boats already there.... our mark turned out to be close to Alfresco and Dawn Raider with Yelo in waving distance.

Expecting a stream of bites from the start, I'd brought lots of extra squid but the baits kept coming back almost untouched !! No dogs, no pout just the odd whelk on our baits [ which I kept.... and made a starter with as the count went into double figures over the next few hours !!]

With the change of the tide, a freshening SE at a good Force 4, pushed us beam on .....with a rocking \ rolling workout and no bites, we had to make move....... off to my inshore mark for a last hour fishing the flood.

As with the last time I was out on JV, this move paid off.... a bit. One cod, this time to Ian..... a plump 10 lber

Think I'll be giving the Car Park a miss now.

Alun.

What a day that was

a run out into a lumpy sea in fog

One of the crew ill as soon as the anchor went down, but to his credit he did not want us to stop fishing.

We sat waiting for hours for just a few bits and pieces and a couple of very small congers, constantly changing baits and removing weed

We counted over 70 boats in view at one point, so the scent trail was well spread

Eventually we tried a move in an attempt to get a bit calmer for the sake of Stu, but I parked at the dogs home. They enjoyed the fourth box of squid of the day, and were about as popular as the red weed.

By 4 It was time to head in early for everyones sake

Not the best trip ever, well done to the other boats that found some cod. We really felt for the lads on the smaller boats yesterday in that weather.

Lets hope for some calmer weather soon

Charlie biggrin.gif

We had a day to forget.

Had a horrid trip out, went under the 7.30 bridge from Cobbs and nearly turned back once we got out past the chain ferry, pea soup and lumpy.

I just about managed to keep up with a Red (arvor I think) and another boat from Cobbs (a small QS I think) and we agreed that if we could keep them in sight we would continue.

Once we got towards the needles the pea soup vanished and a blast of sunshine was waiting.

We tried an inshore mark well past the car park to start with. Missed a hooping bite (god knows how!) and then had a good plump bass of around 5lb came off the hook within a foot of the net.

We decided to move over to join the fleet at slack tide to see what the fuss was about, i'd never fished the spoils before. As soon as the tide turned my partner for the day started to feed the fish and we had to go back in for his sake. sick.gif

I fish the area S of the Needles as my home ground and I have never seen anything like the number of boats out there as there was yesterday. I guess it's amazing what a bit of cod fever plus the first weekend weather window can do.

All I can say is roll on summer and back to some peace and quiet out there....