Cod Comp Sun 20th Nov

Adam F

I just about managed to keep up with a Red (arvor I think) and another boat from Cobbs (a small QS I think) and we agreed that if we could keep them in sight we would continue.

The red arvor was probably Neal on "Court Jester" and the QS might have been Craig on "Abode 2" both club members boats so you were in good company. We use ch6 for comms and I'm sure if you called up either one they would of acknowledged and kept an eye out for you after all thats what the club is all about.

We were near the spoils and like many others had a very slow day. A few congers to Dean, pout and dogs with just one cod of 17lb 1oz to Charlie A

Shame about your mate but never mind there's always next week rolleyes.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red arvor was probably Neal on "Court Jester" and the QS might have been Craig on "Abode 2" both club members boats so you were in good company. We use ch6 for comms and I'm sure if you called up either one they would of acknowledged and kept an eye out for you after all thats what the club is all about.

I nearly did but being a bit of a newbie I didn't want to slow down anyone else's day.

Shame about your mate but never mind there's always next week  rolleyes.gif

I'm actually tempted to go out tomorrow and use up the rest of the squid but I think the FPO would do her nut if I spent any more money on petrol weep.gif

Hi all my first catch report :- First i have to say, best thing i have done is join pbsbac,What i have learnt from you guys in the last few months has set me on my way to some great fishing.With special thanks to mike and his patient nature haha....

Sundays cod comp... left mudeford quay at 7.15 am a little foggy and in a Alaska 500 a little lumpy.Headed off to a mark that mike had given me.For most of the morning we were pestered by dog fish and pout to the extent that we were running low on bait.At around 12.30 my cousin pulled in a cod 14lb 3oz "NICE" even though i was a little green with envy!! About an hour later a rod bender for me but turned out to be a conger of around 20 -25lb.

Then the end of the day was here and all our bait had gone. we needed to head in to make it back in daylight. But as we fishermen do said one more drop 10 mins so i stipped off the bait that was left on my double hook rig and added it to my single hook rig , Within minutes a screaming run which produced a 25lb 2oz cod

"FANTASTIC"

Without going over everything that has been said regarding the crossing and that horrible fog, the best part of our day was feeding dog fish to the extent that we had to reduce our bait size down for the fear of running out, Jackie and I managed two skinny Cod one 6lb 8oz and one 8lb 1oz.

PB Bass 7lb 7 oz which turned a poor day into a great day for me.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Very interesting to read the last two posts

Bait running out , reduced size of baits and then success

Currently we are using baits far bigger than we would have only a few years ago, and some hook rigs that are so big that they prevent doggies and such taking them [Nigle you know what I mean]

But are we doing the right thing?

We can not be doing too much wrong, as it worked a few days ago , but it does raise an interesting point.

Well done to all that caught Cod [Oh yes and PB Bass Craig wink.gif ] especially the three over the magic 20lb mark. biggrin.gif

Charlie

Well done all those that fished yesterday, and more so for those that caught cod at the Needles car park and elsewhere.

I persevered with 4/0 pennels on 100lb trace trying to catch a fat whiting or two with a chance of a bonus cod, but had neither. Managed a stack of doggies, and a few fat pout, and connected with most of the bites I seemed to have. Interestingly, whipping two squid side by side on the pennel later on in the day presented too fat a bait for doggies to swallow, or tear apart readily. Not sure it released so much smell though...

One whiting of 1.5lb or so was also seen on board, plus a couple of conger in the 25-35lb bracket. Did anyone get into the whiting...anywhere?

Interesting sea state for neap tides and a SSE 3-4 (and I think it never got more than that), which is not uncommon at this time of year. Comments above did made me think which boats did find it comfortable or even tolerable? It might be useful information for anyone considering a change!

Mike

I did not enter the comp as I felt the conditions earlier in the week was condusive for my boat, however the pull of the sea made me stick the nose of the boat out of the harbour to see what conditions were like.

As it seemed ok close in I carried on and dropped the hook down at X-Ray. As I was on my own I did check in via the radio to a club boat just to say I was out here. Well seems the LSD were out in force as I too had only doggies and condtions were not too bad but by 2.30pm I had enough of rock and roll and so headed back.

What a great ride it was surfing down the waves at 18kts and slow up to 10kts gong up hill again. smile.gif

Saw some boats out closer to home but not sure how they did.

Glad everyone stayed safe.

Dave

cool.gif

Very interesting to read the last two posts

Bait running out , reduced size of baits and then success

Currently we are using baits far bigger than we would have only a few years ago, and some hook rigs that are so big that they prevent doggies and such taking them [Nigle you know what I mean]

But are we doing the right thing?

We can not be doing too much wrong, as it worked a few days ago , but it does raise an interesting point.

Well done to all that caught Cod [Oh yes and PB Bass Craig wink.gif ] especially the three over the magic 20lb mark. biggrin.gif

Charlie

I can onlly comment on a few years ago (sadly) but I used to outfish the rest of the boat with a single piece of cuttle mantle about 2"x 3/4" .

Especially effective just downtide from PJ's 16 squid baits.... rolleyes.gif

One suggestion was that with really large squid pennels you risk loosing the bottom, another was that you can drop a small bait back to find fish a lot more easily.

Anyhow, the one undisputable fact is that you have to be out there with some bait in the water to catch!...... weep.gif

I use big baits as the dog fest really drains my enthusiasm ,hence I don't get pestered unlike my crew Dogfish Mike laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Small baits do work its all to do with confidence in what you're using,Chris who done well on cod championships prebaited 14 rigs the night before with two cutttle and froze them so that when dropped down they would sit high in the water due to the fact that they were frozen solid!

Nige

Martin

Nigel has sent me a photo of your fish to my phone for me to upload on the site however I can't get the piccy from my phone to the pc.

Could you email me a copy please

The other Martin

have emailed pic to you many thanks !

Still not received please send to info@mjburt.co.uk and not through this site as attachments do not go

Martin

Martin

Nigel has sent me a photo of your fish to my phone for me to upload on the site however I can't get the piccy from my phone to the pc.

Could you email me a copy please

The other Martin

have emailed pic to you many thanks !

Still not received please send to info@mjburt.co.uk and not through this site as attachments do not go

Martin

SENT THANKS....OH AND IF YOU HAVE PHOTOSHOP I COULD DO WITH A LITTLE WORK BEFORE PUBLISH.....HAHA

It was an early start for me to get down to Rockley and join Martin and Dean on AWOL, and by 7 we were motoring out through the harbour, keeping one eye on the plotter/radar screen and one eye on the fog.

The club spirit was soon apparent as various club skippers came up on the radio asking about the sea state and visibility and in normal AWOL style, Martin gave it a bit more throttle so that we could get out there first and report back!

Soon the sky above was giving glimpses of blue and as we neared the island we emerged into the sunshine and picked up a mark, where the anchor was dropped. Great, we thought, all we need now is for this sea to flatten out a bit, and then we can enjoy the pain in our shoulders from reeling in cod after cod...!

Yes, as everyone else has said, the wind blew, and the sea stayed lumpy (both more-so than the forecast had indicated I think) but the sun was shining, and Martin makes a fab cup of tea. But the bites came slowly, and for a while, after Dean was pulling in his fourth Conger and Martin was unhooking more Pout and Doggies, I was worried that I was going to have a blank, even though I was religiously (inspired by Dean who was trying everything in his fishy-attracting arsenal while I sat on my arse waiting to find out what was going to do the trick) changing my bait.

By this time Dean's first box of hand reared (I think it was hand reared going by the price of it) squid had run out and he opened another box. The squid in this one were much smaller. I was fishing with my usual 2 rods, both of which are fairly light and were bending a fair bit with the weight required to hold a big squid on the bottom in the tide, even though I was only using one squid at a time on a 6/0 pennel. So when we started on the little squid I still only used one at a time. Like has been indicated further back in this thread, I now started catching, but still only Pout-cod and Dogfish-cod...

Now, I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like, and it takes me quite a while to get bored of catching Pout and Dogfish, so I was overjoyed when I caught a Pout, then a Dogfish, then another decent sized Pout, then another Dogfish.

On the next drop down I felt something have a go at the bait, so I played about a bit pulling the bait back a bit, then letting out a bit of line, then lifting the bait again. I then felt a proper bite, but not huge, and so set about pulling up another Pout and the big weight on my skinny little rod. Once I got the weight a couple of feet off the bottom the Pout-cod decided to turn into a Cod-Cod and after a few minutes of gentle reeling and praying that my knots/line wouldn't part, up came this!

user posted image

We all thought "This is it, the time has come! Cod o'clock!" but sadly that turned out to be not the case, and I think Martin only had a couple more doggies all day.

The tide turned and the boat swung around and the sea got lumpier, and to add insult to injury we now had the wind blowing into the back of the boat, and the winter sun wasn't enough to keep us warm. Dean retired inside the canopy, Martin tried to will himself somewhere else, and I tried Nigel's fish-attracting technique of nodding off a bit (didn't work) and about the time that everyone else was giving up, we decided to move back towards home and try another mark.

Sadly this failed to produce any fish at all, and so with the sun setting we upped-anchor and headed for the chain ferry.

It was a fantastic sunset though (almost) enough to make the trip out there worthwhile...

user posted image

It was a slow day on a horrible lumpy sea (I think those are the worst conditions that I've been out in and 'survived') but I still enjoyed myself, so thanks for Martin and Dean for letting me aboard.

Cod weighed at home as 17lb 1oz.

Still knackered now though! laugh.gif

Oh, and I forgot to mention the bloody red weed!

Edited by charlieannear

DREAM DRIFTER FINDS A COUPLE OF COD

Alfie's uncanny nack of putting Dream Drifter over a good cod carried on in this year's competition.

Leaving Cobbs with several club boats for the 7.30 bridge Alfie wisely followed Abode 11 through the variable conditions until we arrived at the parking area. After pin-pointed a suitable contour where we dropped the anchor and began the wait for the target species.

After about an hour Alfie hauled in a whiting. A while later - still on the ebb, a good bite to Alfie's rod saw the tell-tale nod of a cod, and a good looking specimen of 11lb 12oz graced the deck. Mission accomplished.

We persevered with regular changes of bait through the change of tide and after the flood started in ernest I had my first (and only) bite. A slow tussle and retrieve saw a better cod on the surface, with Alfie struggling to fit it in his net. Were we excited or what - 23lb 12oz and my personal best.

A further hour saw a pout and a tiny conger to Alfie before we made for home.

Alfie took pics on his mobile but we'll have to wait for his computer to be repaired to look at them.

Fortunately my wife Barbara took a pic of my fish which still weighed the same at home as at sea.

user posted image

Thanks Alfie for another memorable cod comp - can we make a date for next year?